Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Training Logs

Old 10-04-2010, 06:42 AM   #1881
Derek Simonds

2 October 2010 Saturday

Fabian Reyes benefit seminar at GBO. Each of our black belts rolled out some of their best techniques it was a riot. I will do a detailed write up some time this week. We went for about 2:30 hours with probably around 70 people attending. Mat space was at a premium.

4 October 2010Monday

D W/U
Foam Roll

Low Pulls 20 X 3
Chin Up Grip Hollow Hold X 15 seconds by 3
Press 45 X 5,5,5, 75 X 5, 95 X 5,5,5
Chin Up 4, 4, 4, 5

OLAD for the remainder of this week and back at it hard next week. Traveling to Nashville and plan on training some leg locks this afternoon and maybe sneak up and see David Whitley at his new place.

http://westvolusiawellness.com/
Derek Simonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 06:09 AM   #1882
Derek Simonds

Here is a short clip from the benefit on Saturday. Check out what happens at 2:16. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3oXiYZWL9g That was not the move we were working on.

Old 10-05-2010, 06:35 AM   #1883
Derek Simonds

4 October 2010 Monday

Private with Shawn Hammonds at Nashville MMA. I called Shawn and told him that I wanted to work on foot locks and foot lock defense. So here is what we worked on.

1) Defense against straight ankle locks
a) Hip over to the same side as the foot being attacked and move the ankle on to the hip.
b) If they fall back with the ankle before you can hip over REACT by moving forward grabbing the gi and standing up as they fall. The goal is to get the foot being attacked on the ground as they fall back and you stand up. From there work to pass.
c) If they get set up you have to wear the boot to protect your foot. This works against a lot of different attacks. To wear the boot shove your foot through as much as you can and pull your toes up towards you and tighten everything.

2) Defense against the knee bar
a) From De La Riva guard if they turn to go to knee bar you swim your opposite leg in and take the back. This was the most basic defense I have ever learned and was very natural to me as I am hunting the back a lot anyways. I plan on using this technique to go for the back from De La Riva whether they go for the knee bar or not.

3) Defense against heel hook
a) Ok this on sucks. Basically all you do is roll towards your stomach the way they are facing. We have all seen matches where people roll and roll and roll. The key is when you start to roll to go 1 1/2 rolls so you are belly down and then use your other foot to shove their butt and push / pull your other foot out. I never was able to get out when someone had this sunk in deep.

This stuff was worth the freight by itself. We got a little deeper and lookey what we covered.

1) Knee bar
a) Learned how to set it up from standing or De La Riva. Shawn told me that this was more of a sambo technique then a BJJ technique. The key was that you actually sit on their hip and shoot both legs through underneath their butt and fall back with the knee bar. That isn't a good description and I will try and find a video that shows it better.
b) Worked from half guard top by spinning on your trapped knee into the knee bar. This was silly easy and Shawn says it is a high percentage move. The key is to move quickly and make the move when your opponent tries to go for your outside leg.

2) Straight Ankle
a) Worked with different grips. My best grip was not the figure four but the guillotine grip where you grab the back of the underneath hand. I also worked with grabbing my own gi from the bottom hand. The key is to get your radial into the back of their calf.
b) I really need to learn more about what is legal in which tournaments. It depends on which way you move your leg to cover their leg. If you bring it inside out I think that is illegal in IBJJ.

3) Speaking of guillotine Shawn suggested I go for a front naked choke instead of guillotine. I played with it and what do you know it works great for me.

4) While we were in half we discussed D'arce briefly. Shawn showed me that instead of grabbing his bicep he grabs the inside of his gi with 4 fingers and then puts the pressure on the back of the arm. He also thought I was sprawling to much and wanted me to be more heavy with my chest on the arm.

There was some serious information shared with me. I am going to try really hard to get back both tonight and tomorrow. I know that I am missing stuff and will update as I remember.

Old 10-06-2010, 05:39 AM   #1884
Derek Simonds

6 October 2010 PM

Nashville MMA

No-Gi: Worked a neat takedown from the clinch where you snap the arm you are holding down while driving your underhook up and over turn facing the direction that they are leaning block the weighted knee and run through them. Worked well for me from the clinch I will play with it some more. Worked RNC and RNC over the chin, which is nasty. Then finished with armbar from the back. The setup was different. When they block the choke, swim whichever hand is on top up and circle around to trap their arm and lock under your knee. Even with live resistance I was able to get this pretty consistently. I will play some more with it.

Old 10-07-2010, 10:58 AM   #1885
Derek Simonds

6 October 2010

Nashville MMA Gi: Worked takedown off of grip break arm drag. Once broken step around grab the back and prepare to either go to a single or of they step back slide in and butterfly sweep from standing.

Worked ezekiel from the back off a failed gi choke. Worked a gi choke from the back with the lapel where you pass your gi to youur own hand under your armpit slide to the side and lock your outside leg over their shoulder and choke. Shawn also showed me how to slide into an ezekiel from a hip away pass.

Another great night of training and I can't wait to get home and practice all these moves.

Old 10-10-2010, 06:18 AM   #1886
Derek Simonds

9 October 2010 All Day

Went to Crossfit Evolution first thing in the morning to help Leo with the Iron Curtain Challenge. Really long, long day and I wasn't competing. Highlight of the day was Jr, Laney and me carrying 160 45 and 25 LB bumper plates about 80 meters from front to the back for the first event. We had help in the beginning to stack the weights out front then when the runners took off it was basically the Simonds family running weights. Laney and Jr had a heavy duty yard cart and Jr would load 6 45 LB'ers on it and they would pull it out front. I just would grab plates and carry them. There was 7 flights and they went off at a 5 minute interval so it was a hectic 30 minutes for us.

I took a camera but was so busy I never took any pictures.

Left there and went to BJJ spent 2 hours on the mats drilling. I brought my camera there to shoot some video for Gant but never thought about it.

Went back to Crossfit Evo and watched some more stuff, went to a friends house warming, came back to Evo and finally went home around 6:30. They were still going when I left. I bought a high speed jump rope from Crossboxx and they gave me 2 more for the kids. That was really cool. I of course had to play with it last night and hit 10 DU's in a row. Haven't done that ever.

Pretty freaking smoked. Today should be nice. We are recovering and going to do either some dove hunting or carbine practice. Either way some trigger time, which is needed before the match on the 24th.

Met up with Dave and he is one big dude. I don't know how he finished but on a size to performance ratio he would have won hands down. In the class he was in there was a bunch of greyhounds and he was the only bull mastiff!

Old 10-11-2010, 05:51 AM   #1887
Derek Simonds

11 October 2010 Monday

Trying to get back into it.

D W/U
Dog Walk 10 Minutes
Foam Roll

BS 45 X 5,5, 95 X 5, 135 X 5, 155 X 5, 185 X 5,5
Press 45 X 5,5, 75 X 5, 95 X 5,5,5,5

3 Rounds of
100 Jump Rope
5 P/U's
3:50

Done and done. We will see how tomorrow goes.

Old 10-12-2010, 06:18 AM   #1888
Derek Simonds

11 October Monday PM

BJJ Fundamentals: They were fundamental, guillotine, standing guillotine defense, reach back pass, mount, armbar from mount. I worked with a guy that was a biscuit north of 3 hundy, he moved well but made for a miserable experience with him learning the armbar from the mount.

BJJ Advanced: Double leg takedown and variants, north south defense, north south step over arm drag to triangle and keylock attack. During rolling I focused on using my opponents gi to attack and control. So I was bringing in stuff I have been drilling the last couple of weeks and it worked really well. The other thing I did was to really go easy except when I needed to explode. I felt great. I got a great compliment from a brown belt when he said man you are the most busy guy I have ever rolled with, you are always doing something to make me react. Yeah that is what I have been working towards.

Old 10-12-2010, 02:16 PM   #1889
Derek Weaver

When's your next BJJ tournament?

Sounds like you've gotten a ton of mat time lately.
Derek Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 06:06 AM   #1890
Derek Simonds

I have been working it. I want to start competing again end of October / November. I am planning on hitting some major tournaments this coming year. My main goal has been to try and average 2 classes a week. When I can I hit as many as possible.

12 October 2010

D W/U
Foam Roll
Dog Walk

Bench 45 X 10, 5, 95 X 5, 135 X 5, 155 X 5, 185 X 5,5
SDL 45 X 10, 135 X 5, 185 X 5, 225 X 5, 275 X 5, 305 X 3

Finisher
C/U 5,4,3,2,1,1,2,3,4,3
GS Push Up 1... 10
About 7 minutes