Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Training Logs

Old 10-14-2010, 06:06 AM   #1891
Leon Robotham

your training looks to have been going really well mate, especially the BJJ. So you plan on competing quite heavily throughout 2011 then?

How was the private with Shawn? Any of Lloyd's students are beasts in their own right, what is your thought on his methods? Just find something they're good at and drill it and drill it until that particular set of techniques (the ones that work for the individual) become black belt standard?? There's no denying his guys shred up the competition on the mat!
Leon Robotham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 07:08 AM   #1892
Derek Simonds

Shawn is an incredible instructor. I see some similarities in my game to his so I learned a ton. It helped me a lot to put some more finishes into my game.

There was one technique that he showed me and he told me that he wanted me to drill it at least 500 times in the next month. Think about that. Not try it in grappling but drill it 500 times in 30 days. He said that it should work great for me and I need to have engrained in my head.

http://westvolusiawellness.com/
Derek Simonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 08:35 AM   #1893
Leon Robotham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Simonds View Post
Shawn is an incredible instructor. I see some similarities in my game to his so I learned a ton. It helped me a lot to put some more finishes into my game.

There was one technique that he showed me and he told me that he wanted me to drill it at least 500 times in the next month. Think about that. Not try it in grappling but drill it 500 times in 30 days. He said that it should work great for me and I need to have engrained in my head.
WOW 500 times in a month.... No wonder Lloyd Irving has so much success, he must have everybody drill that amount of times per month. You might have seen the quote that was posted on our blog by him the other day " Drillers are killers" !? Very true.

That's just made me realise how little drilling I do, jesus h!
Leon Robotham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 10:42 AM   #1894
Eduardo Chile

Hey Derek. I agree about the drilling. It is something we really lack at the school and it's hard to find people that want to drill. In baseball we always heard you have to do something 1000 times before it becomes natural. Also frequent drilling is better than a long sessions. You going to Bjj tonight?
Eduardo Chile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 11:31 AM   #1895
Derek Simonds

Chili I am working over at Biktoberfest today and tomorrow so probably won't make class until next week. I am always willing to drill brother so just let me know what and when and I am there.

Old 10-15-2010, 07:18 AM   #1896
Derek Simonds

15 October 2010

D W/U
Foam Roll
Dog Walk
Band Work

Press 45 X 5,5,5 75 X 5, 95 X 5, 100 X 5, 105 X 5, 110 X 5
P/U X 5, 5 C/U X 5, 5

DB Floor Press 40 X 12, 45 X 12 , 50 X 12, 12
DB Hammer Curl 25 X 12, 30 X 12 X 3

Old 10-18-2010, 09:26 AM   #1897
Derek Simonds

16 October 2010

Ran in the Deland Fall run with the entire family. Tracy has been sick for almost 4 weeks with that bronchitis crap so she walked instead of running. Delaney asked me to run with her since it was her first race ever. How could I say no! We held hands almost the entire race. We had lots of fun and I talked to her through the entire event. We even had to stop and have a wardrobe change about 2/3 of the way through. Hard to do a quick change when your wife triple knotted the shoe laces...

Jr finished in 25:29 and was the first kid under 18 across the line. Laney and I finished in 39:xx. Jr took first in his division and Laney got 3rd. I think she is about as excited as one can get, she has worn the medal every day since Saturday and is taking it to school today.

Here is a shot of them with their medals. Not too shabby for never running.

Last edited by Derek Simonds; 10-20-2010 at 09:43 AM. Reason: I totally screwed up Jr's time he ran 25:29!
Old 10-18-2010, 12:40 PM   #1898
Derek Simonds

18 October 2010

D W/U
Foam Roll
Dog Walk

Press 45 X 10,5, 75X 5, 100 X 5 X 4
BS 45 X 5,5,5, 95 X 5, 135 X 5, 185 X 5 X 3

Finisher 4 rounds of
100 Single Unders
5 Chin Ups
Total time around 5 minutes

Old 10-18-2010, 05:32 PM   #1899
Dave Coughlin

Cool news about the family run, I am really looking forward to stuff like that.

Hope Biketoberfest was fun, I'm starting my two weeks off with a 102 temp.
Dave Coughlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 04:45 AM   #1900
Derek Simonds

20 October 2010

D W/U
Foam Roll
Dog Walk

SDL 45 X 10, 95, 135, 185, 225, 275, 305 X 5
Bench 45 X 10, 45, 95, 135 X 5, 185 X 5 X 3

4 Rounds of
3 Zercher 80 LB Keg Squats
10 GS Push Ups
5 65 LB FGDB Rowz
6 Minutes

DL's finally are feeling good again. I held the 305 on the last set for 10 seconds. Bench is getting dialed in again. I am going to try and include at least 1 BW exercise every day for some type of finisher. All in all I am happy with where I am this week. I am sore after each workout so I know that things are progressing. I am going to get through the balance of October and figure out what I am doing going forward. Really looking forward to BJJ tonight.