Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Training Logs

Old 10-22-2010, 12:05 PM   #1911
Derek Simonds

22 Oct 2010

BJJ Competition Class / Open Mat: Couple of guys getting ready for professional mma fights next month. Rolled 3 times shortest was 10 minutes other 2 were right at 15 minutes. I am officially smoked. My buddy Remi caught me with a RNC in the second match. I was trying all kinds of shit and staying away from where I am comfortable. It was muy challenging. One more day of training this week.

One other thought is I hate lockdown in half guard. I am going to find that video from Erik Paulson where he uses the lockdown for a submission on the guy doing the lockdown.

http://westvolusiawellness.com/
Derek Simonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 12:32 AM   #1912
Derek Weaver

Rolling for 10-15 minutes x 3 rounds sounds worse than high rep back squats.
Derek Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 07:35 AM   #1913
Derek Simonds

A whole lot to catch up on here.

23 October 2010

Turkey Shoot with Jr, his cousin and a friend. They all did great. I bought the boys each a box of shotgun shells for skeet and they just went at it. Jr was hitting 1 or 2 out of each round of 5.

BJJ All Levels: Sucks that I can't remember all the details but basically it was work from guard to triangle using hip out arm trap and shin on opposite arm, from there we went to omoplata and I added gogoplata. I think I am missing some stuff but hey thats what happens as I get older...

Grappled for a couple of short rounds with Mark and Chili. The highlight was I went for a kneebar off standing De La Riva by Mark. I am too timid on kneebars so I missed it high. It was definitely there though.

For the evening only one word is needed AUBURN

24 October 2010

Florida Defensive Carbine Club 10th anniversary match. 150 people showed up to compete. It was crazy. I shot ok. Not mall ninja level but a solid citizen showing. Highlight of the day was the blacked out shoot house. It started outside with 2 shots on a steel target about 25 feet to the left and then 2 shots on a target about 25 yards to the right. After those hits you safed the weapon and ran to the shoot house. It was completely blacked out and you had to have a flashlight to do it. Enter the shoot house, sweep right 2 shots on bad guy, sweep left there was a no shoot and a bad guy behind it, 2 shots there and clear the rest of the house. Total of 5 bad guys in the house with 3 hostages. Go out a low door and there was a surprise bad guy waiting outside then 2 shots on a steel target to end the round. I made all the shots with no misses and no good guys hit. I finished in 35 seconds.

Seriously it was wild shooting that stage. Going from bright light to pitch black and then the muzzle flashes from your shooting were disorienting to say the least. We ended up bringing home a ton of swag. P-Mags, new trigger guard, shirts, hats and misc other stuff from the raffles. Jr shot with the guys from AAC. He loved the suppressed Ruger 22/45.

Old 10-25-2010, 07:39 AM   #1914
Derek Simonds

25 October 2010 Monday

D W/U
Dog Walk
Foam Roll

Press 45 X 7,7, 65 X 5, 95 X 3, 105 X 5 X 3
BS 45 X10, 5, 95 X 5, 135 X 5, 165 X 3, 195 X 5 X 3
30 LB DB Curl 12 X 3

AMRAP in 7 Minutes of
5 DU's
3 P/U's
I did 7 rounds and my DU's kept getting better each time. Not overly taxing but a nice way to finish.

BS felt great today. 205 next Monday.

Old 10-25-2010, 08:48 AM   #1915
Derek Simonds

Here is a picture of the shoot house.

Old 10-26-2010, 08:08 AM   #1916
Derek Simonds

26 October 2010

BJJ Fundamentals: Lots of takedowns single, single to back, single run the pipe then sprawl and take the back. Some sort of submission, oh yeah it was RNC (I was jacking around at this moment in time with one of the other purple belts, Fabio had told me to try some stuff).

BJJ Advanced: Drop seio nage, drop seio nage failed to roll through your own legs to take opponents back. This was a fun move and if you did it quickly played out well. Variation on armbar sweep where you trap the arm against your thigh and reach over and grab their lat so that when you roll to mount you can move to s mount and go for armbar immediately.

Grappled 3 rounds, first was half guard, second was me playing defense the entire time and third was with Fabio. We have been going at it good lately. He got me with two different moves that were painful. In looking back I have got to figure out a way to pressure half guard more while protecting my long assed arms. I did however use the sneaky ezekiel from half / transition that Shawn told me to practice 500 times and caught him for just a few moments. I felt it and had it but he rolled to his knees and effectively killed it. Now I know how people will try and escape and can defend better. Great night of training and I was smoked.

Old 10-27-2010, 04:42 AM   #1917
Derek Simonds

27 October 2010

D W/U
Foam Roll
Wifey walked the dogs today

DL 45 X 10, 5, 135 X 5,5, 185 X 5, 225 X 5, 275 X 5, 315 X 5
Bench 45 X 10,5, 95 X 5, 135 X 5 160 X 3, 190 X 5,5,5

3 Rounds of
20 LB Mace Swings each direction with hand switch top to bottom 20,20,10
10 GS Push Ups
Done in 6 Minutes

I was going to do chin ups on top of the swings but my lats were pretty lit up just from the mace. DL felt great up to the last set when I felt like I was going to explode from my stomach both directions. It was quite disconcerting. The weight didn't seem heavy on the legs and back so I readjusted my belt and went again. Slightly better but still uncomfortable. Readjust again and finish the last 3 reps. Weird. My belt was super tight the first 2 times so maybe just an awkward position.

Old 10-29-2010, 06:56 AM   #1918
Derek Simonds

29 October 2010 Friday

D W/U
Dog Walk
Foam Roll

Press 45 X 5,5, 65 X 5, 100 X 9 X 3
BS 45 X 10,5, 95 X 5, 135 X 3, 165 X 3, 195 X 5, 205 X 3, 225 X 1
Chin Ups 3,4,5,6,5,4,4,3,2,1

SNGBDL 100, 120, 140, 160 all X 10

My workout partner no showed after confirming last night. I warmed up for 15 minutes waiting on him. Decided he ain't coming so started lifting and ran out of time. I wanted to do 195 X AMRAP but I made a mistake while pressing. Where I press the TV is off to the right at a 45 degree angle. In the middle of my second set they said something on the TV about the world series and I turned my head while the weight was overhead. Needless to say that was an owie moment. My next sets of BS was the 195 and I just couldn't get comfortable under the bar with my back. So plan B lower reps and bump the weight. My legs felt good and my new BS position seems to be grooving in nicely.

SNGBDL are slightly evil. This was fairly low weight but good practice.

I feel pretty good about the session today and look to build on it Monday.

Old 10-29-2010, 10:56 AM   #1919
Allen Yeh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Simonds View Post

My workout partner no showed after confirming last night.
Hate when that happens.
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 06:36 PM   #1920
Derek Weaver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Simonds View Post
My workout partner no showed after confirming last night. I warmed up for 15 minutes waiting on him.
Booooooo.
Derek Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote