Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Training Logs

Old 11-17-2010, 06:30 PM   #1961
Derek Weaver

How many days per week do you end up with a lifting session in morning and rolling at night?

Total number of workouts has to exceed 10 right? I am impressed, and also enjoy reading your write ups.

BTW, Mook Jong construction is slow going. Difficult to find a log, so I'm working on the arms first.
Derek Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 05:04 AM   #1962
Derek Simonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Weaver View Post
How many days per week do you end up with a lifting session in morning and rolling at night?

Total number of workouts has to exceed 10 right? I am impressed, and also enjoy reading your write ups.

BTW, Mook Jong construction is slow going. Difficult to find a log, so I'm working on the arms first.
It is pretty dynamic. Here is what would be a normal schedule if such a thing existed. Probably more like what I prefer if I didn't travel as much.

M,W Nights BJJ F,S Lunch BJJ

M,W,H,S Lifting

Lifting can get compressed into 3 days or can go on Friday or Saturday easily for the last workout of the week. I have found that I have the work capacity for 2 a days and actually feel better when I take complete days off in between. The past couple of weeks I have been lifting on T mornings because my wife is taking W mornings off. So I sleep in for an extra hour with her.

Total workouts is usually 7 to 8. The hours I train can vary by a ton based on my BJJ training. As of now I am already 5 solid hours of BJJ in this week. Probably won't get much more as I am heading into Mosquito Lagoon for some backwoods camping with the kids tomorrow. My goal each week for BJJ is 3 days and 6 hours. As I have said many times this coincides with my kids gymnastics training so I don't feel like I am taking time away from them. If they are off I usually don't go to BJJ.

I am pretty sure that I am in a super compensation period and am getting ready to crash into a serious deload next week. I am lifting and training BJJ 3 more times then taking 7 days off from lifting and 5 days from BJJ.

The rest of the year is going to be wild for me. I already have a ton of travel booked. Just off the top of my head I am in Little Gasparilla Island, Ft Myers, Boston, Vegas, Bangor and the Keys. I keep telling myself all I have to do is make it to December 23 and I have vacation coming. Yeah me.

And Derek I really enjoy reading your log as well. When you find a log make sure to post some pictures.

http://westvolusiawellness.com/
Derek Simonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 07:34 AM   #1963
Derek Simonds

18 November Thursday

D W/U
Band Work

Bench up to 185 X 3 X 5
Chin Ups 3 X 10 (I actually lost count of the sets but it is close)

Press up to 95 X 10 X 3
50 LB DB Row X 10 X 5

Foam Roll

No workout partner and no real spotter today. Plus my left elbow was feeling wonky on the bench. 185 was challenging but not hard.

My 10 year old son is friends with an older girl on the gymnastics team. It is a weird thing, she pays attention to him and he definitely likes being around her. Being 10 I know that there isn't romantic love there yet... maybe a stirring in him that he doesn't understand but nothing more I think... Anyways last night he was so extraordinarily upset because the guys on his team are teasing him silly about Britney. He started crying and just kept saying we are just friends. Man it breaks my heart when one of my little ones are going through a tough spot. I dealt with teasing one of two ways when I was a kid, I either punched the dude in the face or I laughed at him. Most of the time it was the latter. So we had a conversation about how his teammates are probably jealous that an older girl is paying attention to him and that they know he is sensitive about her and that is why they pick on him about it. I also told him that I was completely ok if he did like her and that it was natural. But no matter what if he let these kids get to him they would never stop.

We are doing a little family bible study at night before the kids go to bed and it was rather timely that they talked about gossip and holding ones tongue in Proverbs. I tied gossip back to the kids teasing him. I also said remember this book was written 2800 years ago and fathers were still talking to their kids about this stuff. Then this morning during my lifting I played a country music playlist and what do you know I ran across some additional words of wisdom. I called Jr out in the garage and we listened to this song and he got it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJixs2FoZ_Y

Some lessons in life from the outside don't look so bad but when you are the one in it they suck.

Old 11-18-2010, 08:13 AM   #1964
Leon Robotham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Simonds View Post
18 November Thursday

D W/U
Band Work

Bench up to 185 X 3 X 5
Chin Ups 3 X 10 (I actually lost count of the sets but it is close)

Press up to 95 X 10 X 3
50 LB DB Row X 10 X 5

Foam Roll

No workout partner and no real spotter today. Plus my left elbow was feeling wonky on the bench. 185 was challenging but not hard.

My 10 year old son is friends with an older girl on the gymnastics team. It is a weird thing, she pays attention to him and he definitely likes being around her. Being 10 I know that there isn't romantic love there yet... maybe a stirring in him that he doesn't understand but nothing more I think... Anyways last night he was so extraordinarily upset because the guys on his team are teasing him silly about Britney. He started crying and just kept saying we are just friends. Man it breaks my heart when one of my little ones are going through a tough spot. I dealt with teasing one of two ways when I was a kid, I either punched the dude in the face or I laughed at him. Most of the time it was the latter. So we had a conversation about how his teammates are probably jealous that an older girl is paying attention to him and that they know he is sensitive about her and that is why they pick on him about it. I also told him that I was completely ok if he did like her and that it was natural. But no matter what if he let these kids get to him they would never stop.

We are doing a little family bible study at night before the kids go to bed and it was rather timely that they talked about gossip and holding ones tongue in Proverbs. I tied gossip back to the kids teasing him. I also said remember this book was written 2800 years ago and fathers were still talking to their kids about this stuff. Then this morning during my lifting I played a country music playlist and what do you know I ran across some additional words of wisdom. I called Jr out in the garage and we listened to this song and he got it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJixs2FoZ_Y

Some lessons in life from the outside don't look so bad but when you are the one in it they suck.
Ah father son life lessons haha, already your boy is in with the older women... You might have a bit of a lothario on your hands, only time will tell
Leon Robotham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 03:40 PM   #1965
Derek Weaver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Simonds View Post
It is pretty dynamic. Here is what would be a normal schedule if such a thing existed. Probably more like what I prefer if I didn't travel as much.

M,W Nights BJJ F,S Lunch BJJ

M,W,H,S Lifting

Lifting can get compressed into 3 days or can go on Friday or Saturday easily for the last workout of the week. I have found that I have the work capacity for 2 a days and actually feel better when I take complete days off in between. The past couple of weeks I have been lifting on T mornings because my wife is taking W mornings off. So I sleep in for an extra hour with her.

Total workouts is usually 7 to 8. The hours I train can vary by a ton based on my BJJ training. As of now I am already 5 solid hours of BJJ in this week. Probably won't get much more as I am heading into Mosquito Lagoon for some backwoods camping with the kids tomorrow. My goal each week for BJJ is 3 days and 6 hours. As I have said many times this coincides with my kids gymnastics training so I don't feel like I am taking time away from them. If they are off I usually don't go to BJJ.

I am pretty sure that I am in a super compensation period and am getting ready to crash into a serious deload next week. I am lifting and training BJJ 3 more times then taking 7 days off from lifting and 5 days from BJJ.

The rest of the year is going to be wild for me. I already have a ton of travel booked. Just off the top of my head I am in Little Gasparilla Island, Ft Myers, Boston, Vegas, Bangor and the Keys. I keep telling myself all I have to do is make it to December 23 and I have vacation coming. Yeah me.

And Derek I really enjoy reading your log as well. When you find a log make sure to post some pictures.
I see. Good call and solid scheduling. It looks like you could write a book on time management for the active parent. Even cooler that you are able to get your training to coincide with your children's activities. I remember in college during an elective psychology course I took that the professor noted this was one of the best things a family could do. A few times per week, more or less, everyone's got their thing. Good for everyone's head space.

Vegas and the Keys sounds like more fun than work to me.

I'll let you know about the log. I've got a few things going. I am going to do the arms first. I may even order a PVC body from here, and use it as a model. Then as the true wooden dummy is eventually constructed, I can refine things with the arms and really spend the right amount of time getting it right. Later on, I can either sell, or donate one of them to an instructor around here. Different FMA instructors could make use of it, and obviously any Wing Chun or JKD instructor could use it if they wanted. I'll post pics as I make progress.
Old 11-19-2010, 07:21 AM   #1966
Derek Simonds

19 November 2010 Friday

Sooo this morning was interesting... My workout partner no called, no showed and Tracy's girls didn't post either. That created a great opportunity for Tracy and I to get in our cardio first.

Once I was warmed up I went straight into the One Lift to Rule Them All...

SNGBDL 45 X 5, 95 X 8, 135 X 8, 185 X 8, 225 X 6, 255 X 1, 275 X 1, 305 X 1!!!!!!!!!

So here is what is bugging me if I can freaking SNGBDL 305 I sure as hell should be able to squat it. My lack of a 300+ squat has to be mental that is the only explanation. Here are some pictures for reference. Jr took these with his cell phone so they aren't the best.

Here is my setup with 275.

Here is me with 305 which was fairly easy, probably could have done a triple.

Ah well I will just keep plugging along. I was pretty darn pleased with this lift this morning. Hell I was really pleased with the entire morning actually.

Old 11-19-2010, 07:52 AM   #1967
Samuel Hughes

Awesome pull. I am in the same boat- squats are so mental. I did 5x5 with 5lbs less than my PR from a few weeks ago. Something about a max single and squats just hasn't clicked for me. Great job again.

Workout Log

Current Lifts (December 2010): BW 166lbs; 285lb Bench Press; 315lb Squat; 175lb Overhead Press; 405lb Deadlift; 205lb Power Clean
Samuel Hughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 09:10 AM   #1968
Derek Weaver

There is something terrifying about the bar being on your back instead of in your hands. Makes sense that the mental side is keeping you back on the squat. Getting a good training partner who knows how to spot the squat would probably help. A cage (which I think you said you have), a good spotter, and a solid psyche up should get you that 300+ single or more.
Old 11-19-2010, 12:29 PM   #1969
Eduardo Chile

Man your flexbility must be awesome if you maintain a neutral spine with a snatch grip off a box throughout the deadlift.

Maybe something could be off with your form on the squat? Do you have a video?

Log at RTS
Eduardo Chile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 02:07 PM   #1970
Derek Simonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eduardo Chile View Post
Man your flexbility must be awesome if you maintain a neutral spine with a snatch grip off a box throughout the deadlift.

Maybe something could be off with your form on the squat? Do you have a video?
I feel pretty darn good about my form on these lifts. And I do work my flexibility a ton. By the way you don't need no video let's lift together! I will make the trek to your place or you can come over to mine one of these weekends. Sometime after Thanksgiving lets get together.