Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Training Logs

Old 12-13-2010, 03:53 AM   #2011
Derek Simonds

13 December Monday 2010

D W/U
Foam Roll
Dog Walk

34 Degrees BRRRR....

BS up to 225 X 5 X 4 (added a set today instead of weight)

Bench up to 190 X 5 X 3 then 135 X 17

I am really working on the bench being a dead stop and no bounce. It is coming along nicely. After reading Kevins experience at the meet I wanted to make sure that my PR's would translate if I compete.

Off to Vegas baby for two days of meetings then finishing off in sunny Bangor ME. Yeah me.

http://westvolusiawellness.com/
Derek Simonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 07:02 AM   #2012
Leon Robotham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Simonds View Post
13 December Monday 2010

D W/U
Foam Roll
Dog Walk

34 Degrees BRRRR....

BS up to 225 X 5 X 4 (added a set today instead of weight)

Bench up to 190 X 5 X 3 then 135 X 17

I am really working on the bench being a dead stop and no bounce. It is coming along nicely. After reading Kevins experience at the meet I wanted to make sure that my PR's would translate if I compete.

Off to Vegas baby for two days of meetings then finishing off in sunny Bangor ME. Yeah me.
Vegas for meetings..... That old chestnut haha
Leon Robotham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 07:29 AM   #2013
Derek Simonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon Robotham View Post
Vegas for meetings..... That old chestnut haha
You will really laugh when I tell you that I was in bed at 7:30 Vegas time after a huge meal of steak and lobster at Benihana. And no I am not creating plausible deniability...

Old 12-14-2010, 07:47 AM   #2014
Derek Simonds

14 December 2010 Tuesday

D W/U (lots of arm swinging hehehe)
Did my foam rolling on a 6 lb med ball
Some static stretching

Plate Curls each arm 5 X 10, 10 X 10, both hands same time 25 X 12 X 3
Tricep Pressdown 12 X 5

DB Incline Press 30, 40, 50, 55 X 10, 60 X 6, 65 X 8
DB Row 30, 40, 50, 55, 60, X 12, 65 X 15

DB Shrugs 65 LB's X 12 X 3 + Hold for 20 seconds (by now my forearms were on fire)

Machine circuit with all the upper body machines + back and abs (7 machines) X 15 reps X 2 circuits

I was pleased with the DB Incline and the Rows. Everything was smooth. The machine circuit damn near killed me. I selected a weight I thought I could do for 20 reps and struggled to get 15 on most of them. I never stopped and just went through non stop. I actually felt nauseas, not sure what that says about me.

I did have a very funny thought while doing benching. All the guys that were working out would come over and grab 30's and do some bench and then some 20's and do some presses. Apparently I didn't get the memo that you were supposed to use those weights. I thought man I am the strongest guy in here (in here being the hotel gym) and then I laughed as I realized that is kind of like being the tallest midget...

Old 12-14-2010, 08:09 AM   #2015
Leon Robotham

Quote:
I did have a very funny thought while doing benching. All the guys that were working out would come over and grab 30's and do some bench and then some 20's and do some presses. Apparently I didn't get the memo that you were supposed to use those weights. I thought man I am the strongest guy in here (in here being the hotel gym) and then I laughed as I realized that is kind of like being the tallest midget...
This is hilarous

Oh and I believe you.... you were in bed by 7.30
Old 12-15-2010, 07:34 AM   #2016
Derek Simonds

15 December 2010 Wednesday

So last night I was a wild man. I took the guys out here with me to Maggianos Little Italy for dinner. I was still back and in bed by 9:30. Wild man I am.

D W/U
Lacrosse Ball work
Med Ball rolling
Agile 8 + a few other movements (cat stretch and push up plus)

I worked out with one of my guys this morning. He has been having lower back pain. Hmm wonder why. When we started working through the warm up it was very apparent that he had shortened hip flexors, dead glutes and a pretty serious case of khyposis. He was sweating at the end of the agile 8. He told me that he works out 3 times a week, does weights for toning and 50 minutes of cardio. I asked him to walk me through his weight work and he did not do a single posterior chain exercise other than lat pull downs. Don't really think that is enough.

I have so much respect for you professionals out there. I put him through a simple lower body workout to help with the issues we discussed and he was dying before we even got through the first exercise (goblet squats). He didn't want to do any more work and asked me just to show him what to do. Now this is a guy that lives in Portland and hikes the mountains every chance he gets and he couldn't do goblet squats with 40 lb's. All I could think of while we working out was K-Star calling this the slow death. We spend so much time sitting in planes that you have to do mobility work or you lose it.

Goblet Squats ran the rack from 20 to 65 X 5
RFESS DB's 20, 30, 40 X 6 each leg
Pistols 3 X 3
1 Arm 1 Leg contra-lateral DB DL X 20 X 6 X 3 (by now he was begging to stop)

I did enjoy the goblet squats and will probably throw them in for accessory work with heavier DB's and KB's. A couple of hours of work and I am off to Bangor ME for the rest of the week. I can't wait to get home and DL Saturday.

This is going to be the first week in a long time that I haven't trained BJJ. We have a belt promotion this weekend so no academy time for me.

Old 12-16-2010, 05:19 AM   #2017
Leon Robotham

Quote:
15 December 2010 Wednesday

So last night I was a wild man. I took the guys out here with me to Maggianos Little Italy for dinner. I was still back and in bed by 9:30. Wild man I am.

D W/U
Lacrosse Ball work
Med Ball rolling
Agile 8 + a few other movements (cat stretch and push up plus)

I worked out with one of my guys this morning. He has been having lower back pain. Hmm wonder why. When we started working through the warm up it was very apparent that he had shortened hip flexors, dead glutes and a pretty serious case of khyposis. He was sweating at the end of the agile 8. He told me that he works out 3 times a week, does weights for toning and 50 minutes of cardio. I asked him to walk me through his weight work and he did not do a single posterior chain exercise other than lat pull downs. Don't really think that is enough.

I have so much respect for you professionals out there. I put him through a simple lower body workout to help with the issues we discussed and he was dying before we even got through the first exercise (goblet squats). He didn't want to do any more work and asked me just to show him what to do. Now this is a guy that lives in Portland and hikes the mountains every chance he gets and he couldn't do goblet squats with 40 lb's. All I could think of while we working out was K-Star calling this the slow death. We spend so much time sitting in planes that you have to do mobility work or you lose it.

Goblet Squats ran the rack from 20 to 65 X 5
RFESS DB's 20, 30, 40 X 6 each leg
Pistols 3 X 3
1 Arm 1 Leg contra-lateral DB DL X 20 X 6 X 3 (by now he was begging to stop)

I did enjoy the goblet squats and will probably throw them in for accessory work with heavier DB's and KB's. A couple of hours of work and I am off to Bangor ME for the rest of the week. I can't wait to get home and DL Saturday.

This is going to be the first week in a long time that I haven't trained BJJ. We have a belt promotion this weekend so no academy time for me.
I feel your pain bro! Working with a chap right now who also has a serious case of kyphosis too, it's a real shame because the bloke has heaps of heart and a gas tank to match, but right now the time I have with him is far better spent on mobilisation/postural work. Loads of foam rolling, lacrosse balls, back work like rows of all varieties etc. Killer!
Old 12-18-2010, 04:22 AM   #2018
Derek Simonds

17 December 2010

Managed to catch an earlier flight and got back to Orlando about 6. Hauled butt up to the academy and trained with a couple of guys getting ready for their purple belt test today.

Somebody around here should be sporting a shiny new purple belt in a couple of hours...

It is always good to drill movements. I tend to forget the names and I definitely don't utilize all of them, but we do know a lot when you look at it that way.

Old 12-18-2010, 08:17 AM   #2019
Derek Simonds

18 December 2010 Saturday

Absolutely EPIC workout today...

D W/U
Foam Roll

SDL Up to 355 X 5 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lttRd82KISg

And then I was feeling froggy so I worked up to 405. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZfsGErfvW4 I pulled 405 before but it was ugleeee.... I am counting this as a PR especially since it was after my regular workout. I think I have 425 maybe 430 in range before the end of the year.

I think that would have counted at a meet. I tried to squeeze it up and not get hitchy. It felt great especially after hitting 355 X 5 and 375 easily.

Press up to 120 X 5 X 4 (added weight and an extra set)

Tore a deck of cards for my buddy Adriel at GBO. haven't tore a deck in quite a while. I should have torn it further before I switched my grip but I am really happy with the tear. That was all the cards plus the jokers. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNFZS1zHl68

Finished with
135 LB Shrugs X 15 X 3
50 LB BB Curlz X 15 X 3
Tricep Extension 20 X 15, 25 X 15

Great workout today!

Old 12-18-2010, 08:47 AM   #2020
Arien Malec

Congrats! 405 went up pretty smoothly. Looked like you had even more in you...
Arien Malec is offline   Reply With Quote