Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Training Logs

Old 12-18-2010, 04:00 PM   #2021
Kevin Perry

Nice lift man, saw that vid and you pulled that 405 easy, You definitely have 430 in you.
Kevin Perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 12:09 PM   #2022
Derek Simonds

Thanks guys.

19 December 2010 Sunday

D W/U
Dog Walk

BS up to 235 X 5,5,5,3 Filmed the last set and here it is. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlUXCFMaYts

Bench up to 195 X 5 X 3 Here is the last set of that as well. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wcbin4_jME0

Worked grippers CoC Starter X 5,5, Trainer 5,5, #1 3 X 3 then Bonecrusher 100 X5, 150 X3, 200 X 3, 250 X 3 R (New PR) 1 L, 300 X so close...

45 LB DB Floor Press X 15 X 3
10 LB Plate Curl X 15 each hand, 2 hand plate curl 25 LB oly plate X 15, 15

Another really good workout. Chile look at that BS video if you get a chance. The quality isn't that good since I shot it with my phone. But I think you can at least see my technique ok.

http://westvolusiawellness.com/
Derek Simonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 04:45 PM   #2023
Eduardo Chile

Hey Derek,

The video is pretty dark, but I do think the knees track in a tad on the way up.

Also, the main thing is the hips aren't really exploding on the way up. I think you could improve on the hip drive. At the top of the squat also you're hips aren't coming through to full extension. It's like you gently stand up. You do a nice job of keeping the weight over the heel, and keep your back arch from what I can tell.

I'm not sure how tight you're upper back is, but I find the tighter I am and the more I focus on keeping my knees apart the easier I can explode with my hips.

We gotta work out together at some point. Hopefully once the new year starts we can! Thanks for the help at bjj!

Log at RTS
Eduardo Chile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 05:35 PM   #2024
Derek Weaver

Nice work Derek. Good pull too. Looking for a new PR to finish out the year should result in a nice number north of 405.
Derek Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 05:07 AM   #2025
Derek Simonds

22 December Wednesday 2010

D W/U
Dog Walk

FS X 3 up to 195 X 3 (PR) 205 X 2 (PR) 215 X 1 (PR)

Press up to 125 X 3 X 5 (PR) + 95 X 13

Chin Ups 4 X 6 or 7

I am pleased with all the PR's today. That was a good workout. I did the FS today to test out my mid section. I think that is what is limiting me on my squats. Based on what happened today with the FS I am pretty sure that is the problem. I crumpled on the 215. My legs were driving easily I just wasn't able to hold my torso where it needed to be. I am going to need to think about this. I have a 30 minute consult with Jedd Johnson from Diesel Crew tomorrow and plan on asking him about it along with some grip stuff.

Going to be a good day. Taking the kids to the Ritz for our annual breakfast with Santa. Christmas party at work starting at 11:00 and then 2-4 hours of BJJ depending on how I am feeling. Jr is going to go with me to work and BJJ. Like I said it is going to be a good day!

Old 12-22-2010, 07:56 AM   #2026
Arien Malec

Nice PRs. FS is the same problem with me -- legs are no problem but my PR is significantly higher with a belt and my upper body caves as well. It exposes whole body issues well.
Arien Malec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 06:51 PM   #2027
Derek Simonds

22 December 2010 Wednesday

4:30 to 6:00 Positional drilling with Rafa. Really focused on side control and half guard. I truly enjoy these sessions and they change my game significantly. Tonight I focused on attacking with subs no matter what position I was in. It worked.

6:00 to 7:00 Fundamentals: I ended up teaching as Fabio still is sick. Headlock defense, open guard hook sweep, scissor sweep A and B and cross collar choke from the mount.

I had already told the family that I was coming home so I couldn't stay and left it at open mat. Some good guys showed up and I wish I could have trained. Should be a good group tomorrow at lunch.

Old 12-23-2010, 03:29 PM   #2028
Derek Simonds

23 December 2010 Thursday

Man I am pushing hard right now.

Dog Walk
Dynamic W/U
Foam Roll

SDL up to 365 X 4 I think this is a PR
DB Incline Press up to 65 X 8, 70 X 6 (70 X 6 is a PR)

Fat Gripz Floor Press up to 185 X 3 X 3
Neutral grip mountain climbers 2 X 10

I did some other stuff while out there but have forgotten exactly what I did. I was just a little tired on the SDL. My form was shaky on the 4th rep so I decided not to push any more. The DB Incline just moved right up. Pretty happy with that. The floor press was a lot harder than I thought it would be.

Jr got into the act. Check him out.

Laney wasn't going to be out done...

I had a coaching call with Jedd Johnson of the Diesel Crew. Great call and he gave me some insight on my last couple of videos. We also talked grip for a bit. I am going to work on some new technique for ripping phone books.

BJJ Open Mat: I ended up training several rounds. I went two rounds with a visitor from NY who was also a purple belt. He had a wild open guard and was able to use inverted guard to recover open guard. I was able to control pacing and position. Both times I advanced to back and was able to move and work from there. Good times and last time training in a formal class this year.

I am enjoying my first official holiday adult beverage and am dialing in some serious relaxation.

Old 12-23-2010, 04:31 PM   #2029
Arien Malec

Love the pix of the kids. My 10 yo son recently pulled over bw and goblet squats 30# for sets of 10. He has a blast working out with his dad. Alas, my daughter doesn't share the joy... At least she boulders for fun.
Arien Malec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 08:14 PM   #2030
Derek Weaver

Your family may be more athletic all around than half of this board put together. Way cool.
Derek Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote