Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Training Logs

Old 11-09-2007, 07:08 AM   #201
Derek Simonds

Friday November 9th

Worked out at a Bally's in Cherry Hill NJ. I am pretty sure that Bally's is some foreign word for partial ROM exercisers. Man I saw some funny stuff today. I didn't know it was possible to get a full on hip kip in a DB bicep curl.

I couldn't put a BB with plates on it overhead because when I did the plates would push up the ceiling tiles. Crazy. So lots of modification.

DB Snatch L Hand, L Leg, Squat, R Leg, R Hand, L Leg, Squat, R Leg 35 LB DB, 40 LB DB, 45 LB DB, 50 LB DB
Clean Pull / Jump Shrug up to 170 X 1 X 5
Walked BB to another place Press 105 X 1 X 5
Incline Press 45 DB's X 8 X 3
DB Rows 45 DB's X 5 X 3
FS up to 170 LB's 1 X 5

20 Jump Kipping P/U's
20 Push Ups
15 Jump Kipping P/U's
15 Push Ups

I am really trying to learn to kip. It was coming together nicely until I started making the squat rack come off the ground.

Not what was RX'ed but at least it was something.

http://westvolusiawellness.com/
Derek Simonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 09:14 AM   #202
Allen Yeh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Simonds View Post
Worked out at a Bally's in Cherry Hill NJ. I am pretty sure that Bally's is some foreign word for partial ROM exercisers. Man I saw some funny stuff today. I didn't know it was possible to get a full on hip kip in a DB bicep curl.
That's called a power curl! Don't fake like you've never done it! heh
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 09:54 AM   #203
Derek Simonds

All right Allen you got me.

Programming must be working I struggled at the work sets today.

Row W/U
B W/U

SN up to 105 felt great, missed 115 4 times started getting pissed so switched to C&J
C&J up to 155 missed 165, missed 160, 155, 157 made but ugly
FS up to 180 X 2 X 2 FS felt much better than anything else.

Just below the RX'ed weights was fast and easy the work sets crushed me. On the snatch I got the weight overhead but couldn't stand up 3 times out of 4, pretty much lost it forward sideways and than had it set and couldn't stand up. Frustrating. On the C&J I wasn't diving deep and fast enough on the jerk.

Oh well looking forward to rest day.

Old 11-12-2007, 04:55 AM   #204
Derek Simonds

Saturday November 10

Programming must be working I struggled at the work sets today.

Row W/U
B W/U

SN up to 105 felt great, missed 115 4 times started getting pissed so switched to C&J
C&J up to 155 missed 165, missed 160, 155, 157 made but ugly
FS up to 180 X 2 X 2 FS felt much better than anything else.

Just below the RX'ed weights was fast and easy the work sets crushed me. On the snatch I got the weight overhead but couldn't stand up 3 times out of 4, pretty much lost it forward sideways and than had it set and couldn't stand up. Frustrating. On the C&J I wasn't diving deep and fast enough on the jerk.

Oh well looking forward to rest day.

Old 11-12-2007, 04:55 AM   #205
Derek Simonds

Monday November 12

Thanks Greg and Alicia for the thoughts. Alicia its funny I have used that method every time I have done the CFT but never would have thought to apply it to the O/Lifts. Greg your weights are in Kilos but they translate almost identically to me for the SN how depressing.

Row 3:45
B W/U

MS 45 X 3
SN 45 X 1, 61 X 1, 81 X 1, 91 X 1, 101 X 1, 106 X 1, 111 X 1, 116 X 1 (1lb pr), 121 M
C&J 95 X 1 + 2, 115 X 1, 135 X 1, 145 X 1, 155 X CMJ, 155 X 1
FS 135 C + FS, 155 X 2, 171 X 2, 181 X 2
OHS 65 X3, 75 X 3, 85 X 3

Coaching myself which is dangerous, I am not having trouble on the pulls just when I am putting the weight overhead. I think it is mainly a mental thing, but I definitely need to work through it.

I was real happy with getting the 116 on the SN since I had such a problem with it on Saturday. OVerall great workout.

Old 11-13-2007, 04:34 AM   #206
Derek Simonds

Tuesday November 13

B W/U about a million times

MS 45 X 3
SN 45 X 3, 61 X 2, 81 X 1 X 2, 93 X 1 X 2
C&J 81 X 1 + 2 X 2, 95 X 2, 115 X 2, 125 X 1 X 2, 135 X 1 X 2

3 rounds for time of:
500 m row
30 jumping rope p/u's
30 sit-ups

17 minutes I lost it on the last round of jumping rope p/u's it took forever. I have determined for me there is a significant metabolic cost in rowing a 1:40 versus a 1:50. 3 rows were 5:48 and the sit ups were unbroken.

Focus on speed and driving under the bars on both lifts today. Felt good and clean. Looking forward to tomorrow.

Old 11-14-2007, 05:15 AM   #207
Derek Simonds

Monday November 11

I forgot to post my BJJ Fundamentals from Monday. Good class with focus on the Kimura sweep and Kimura if your opponent post his hand out when you go for the sweep.

Skipped advanced because of my cold and Tracy got her massage table tonight.

Old 11-14-2007, 05:17 AM   #208
Derek Simonds

Wednesday November 14

All right I will jump on the Eva love fest train. I really didn't think there was anything that dirty about what she said I have thought that many times about you in the last 7 weeks .

Today was tough I don't know if I have a mental problem or the programming has me pretty dang close to the edge. All of my sets up to 90% - 95% are fast, clean and easy. Once I start to hit the 100% I come apart.

Row W/U really good and great stretch
B W/U several times

MSN 45 X 3
SN 45 X 3, 61 X 2, 81 X 2 , 91 X 1 X 2, 101 X 1 X 2, 103.5 X 1
C&J 81 X 2, 95 X 2, 105 X 2, 135 X 1, 145 X 1, 155 X 1 (NO PROBLEM), 165 X CMJ, 165 X CMJ, 161 X CMJ
PCFS 135 X 2
FS 145 X 2, 155 X 2, 165 X 2, 175 X 2, 185 X 2

FS Could have easily continued up with the weight but didn't. The misses at 165 were frustrating because I was cleaning the weight so well but just couldn't get the freaking drive under the bar. I really worked on visualization between sets to get that aggressive dive under but I just wasn't getting it. I never even got to full extension on the jerk. Frustrating.

MetCon I have 2:30 of BJJ tonight so I was going to skip it but I need work on the P/U's so heavily modified.

3 Rounds of
8 P/U's
8 24 KG KB Swings per hand

That was actually a lot tougher than I thought it was going to be. Nice finisher and my P/U's are getting better.

Old 11-14-2007, 05:36 AM   #209
Garrett Smith

Derek,
I just now caught on that this was YOUR workout log. Duh...

It was great working out with you. Partially due to the motivation I received from our little group workout, I am:
Starting morning and evening group classes this coming Monday
Building Greg's "sloped OL platform" over the Thanksgiving holiday
Hanging my rings and AF bar from the rafters over the holiday
Basically getting my A** in gear

Again, it was great working out with you. Stop by anytime--that goes for any other board members as well. Meeting you folks in person (for me, that's folks like Scotty, Robb W., Derek, Yael, and others) is a real treat.
Garrett Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 07:54 AM   #210
Derek Simonds

Well you know with the names we use on this board it is hard to tell sometimes.

Good news we closed the deal with the client we were working with and it looks like I will be back out to Tucson on a quarterly basis. I will keep you posted.

Glad to hear that you are getting everything rolling. Your clients are lucky.