Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Training Logs

Old 11-15-2007, 12:10 PM   #211
Allen Yeh

Derek,

You are a beast. I have no idea how you travel so much and still manage to train. I flew into Naples on Sunday and trained 1 day and it wasn't even anything to write home about. The rest of the week has pretty much been a bust.
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 02:42 PM   #212
Garrett Smith

Derek,
Thanks for the compliment, I'm looking forward to you coming out to Tucson again.

Shoot, I'm just driving up to Phoenix (~2 hours) this weekend for my state convention, I'm worried I won't get my Saturday workout in. You are an inspiration for us, Derek, in your consistency of training while traveling.
Garrett Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 03:40 PM   #213
Leo Soubbotine

That's one big log Derek!
What's the issue with your kip?
Leo Soubbotine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 09:31 AM   #214
Derek Simonds

Aw Shucks you guys are too kind. It all started about 5 years ago when I was still doing traditional BB'ing type of stuff. I was really traveling hardcore back then trying to make a name for myself at the company. I developed this mental state that if I didn't train when I was supposed to I was letting myself down. There would be some nights where I wouldn't get in to a town until 2 or 3 in the morning but I would be up at 5 and heading to workout.

I have matured in a lot of ways since then, so now I would probably sleep in , but I would make up the workout later that day or in the week. The biggest thing for me is that in life I have very little time that is just me and my workout at 5:00 am is the one thing that is dedicated to me. I am not complaining about time at all, I just know if I don't train at 5:00 it will not happen that day as life will interfere. Therefore I train at 5:00 am in whatever time zone I happen to be in that day.

Leo, my biggest problem is that I can't string multiples together. I have watched Eva's video and read her article multiple times and it just hasn't clicked. On any individual p/u I can frog kip or use Eva's kip like a fool just have never figured out how to do it like Eva does with multiples.

http://westvolusiawellness.com/
Derek Simonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 09:42 AM   #215
Derek Simonds

Thursday November 15

BJJ PM

Fundamentals revisited the Kimura sweep and submission. We had several new guys so we got to do a lot of breakfalls. Yippeeee!

Advanced worked a takedown where you pulled the guy towards you, stepped out of the way to create space for them to move into, stepped your leg through and hooked on the back of their knee and pushed them over with your body.

Worked an escape from half gaurd where we used their kimono behind their head to control the body and then step out of the half guard. Used the same technique for a submission by feeding the Kimono to your other hand then using your top hand to grab their shoulder and apply a very wicked little choke.

Rolled 3 times with first with Matt whose techniques have improved dramatically since the last time I rolled with him. Rolled with another blue who I rolled with a lot in the past and was able to get into the mount and use my size to smother him and got a sub with a crappy cross neck choke. Third time with a Lt Colonel from the army who caught me in a baseball style collar choke that I should have seen coming. His forearms and grip are phenomenal. Finished with a little more with him and had a great evening.

I was very happy with my gas. I was never really out of breath, maybe breathing a little hard but pretty good. It is amazing the different muscles that are used in a static position when you are holding or moving that just don't get used on a regular basis with dynamic lifting.

Old 11-16-2007, 09:50 AM   #216
Derek Simonds

Friday November 16

Row W/U
B W/U

MS 45 X 3
SN 61 X 2, 81 X 2, 86 X 1 X 2, 92.5 X 1 X 2 (I swear I did 10 reps but can't figure out how)
C&J 61 X 2, 81 X 2, 91 X 1, 101 X 1, 111 X 1, 121 X 1, 132.5 X 1 X 2

3 rounds for time of:
10 sand bag power clean - 44 LB's
15 jumping ring dips
10 Turkish Get-up's (5 each side) -- 36 LB KB

12 minutes and change with the full TGU. It sure is tough to read the directions properly when you have only had a couple hours of sleep. Had to modify the dips to jump and lowered the weights on the the other 2 slightly. I should have used the full weight on the sandbag. My dips are crap right now, with the flexibility in my wrist and pretty much the fact that I haven't done them in 4 months. Need to add to list of things to do. Dips and Holds.

Old 11-16-2007, 03:35 PM   #217
Leo Soubbotine

You MUST stop by one day. We'll fix it in no time.

Sean got a 8:58 Fran last time around, and blasted through it in 6:48 - with first 10 pullups in a row (his pr on pullups. He's been doing them for only 10 weeks tops).

Got a sub 5 Fran myself finally! One nasty rip on the hand though.

Sqeeze out a couple hours and get in. Hopefully you'll make it before we go to cert.
Leo Soubbotine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 07:31 PM   #218
Chris Forbis

Word on the 5am workouts. I try to keep the Tu/Th 5am workouts sacred. Everything else tends to get structured around that.
Chris Forbis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 05:44 AM   #219
Derek Simonds

Saturday November 17

Row W/U
B W/U

MS 45 X 3
SN 61 X 2, 71 X 1, 81 X 1, 91 X 1, 101 X 1, 111 X M, 111 X 1 X 2
C&J 61 X 3, 81 X 2, 111 X 1, 131 X 1, 157 X CMJ, 155 X CMJ, 145 X 1
FS 135 CFS X 2, 155 X 2, 165 X 2, 175 X 2, 185 X 2

Made up ab work from Wednesday

3 Rounds of
20 36 LB KB Chops
20 S/U's
10 B/E's

Squats feel better every time I do them. The overhead stuff doesn't feel so good. My shoulders are pretty tired from yesterdays jumping ring dips. My clean mechanics are coming along very nicely. Misread the sets and did 2 at 95% on the SN.

Off to Jr's first flag football game and then to a Carlos Gracie Jr seminar. Should be a great day.

Sacred is a good word Chris. That is what my morning workouts are sacred.

Old 11-17-2007, 05:44 AM   #220
Derek Simonds

Leo, I will call you later today on my way back from the seminar. I definitely want to get over there.

Yesterday we got into a P/U comp at work and I pulled 12 on a crappy power tower with no kip. I won. The closest guy had 8. It was funny watching these 25 Y/O's struggle to get 3 to 5. One guy is like 150 LB's and very wiry / strong and he was like I can do 100. Well of course I walked out of my office and said show me. He got 5.