Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Training Logs

Old 04-29-2011, 11:46 AM   #2261
Kevin Perry

Good pressing work man
Kevin Perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 05:25 PM   #2262
Derek Weaver

Nice pressing again.

When you front squat, do you use a clean grip or arms crossed? I found that I could front squat a bundle more when I used lifting straps like a safety squat bar with the handles forward. Took the mind off the rack and focused on driving the weight.
Derek Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 04:50 AM   #2263
Derek Simonds

Thanks guys. When I FS it is clean rack style. Important travel note. I am in Nashville Monday, San Diego Tuesday and Vacaville and San Jose Wednesday. If I am near any you west coasters let me know. I fly back out of San Fransisco Thursday morning.

29 April 2011 PM

BJJ Competition class: We worked an interesting way to get up from guard with a collar grip and then yank your opponent forward while going to top turtle. Basically it is like standing up in base. I think I could make that work for me especially if I set it up off a scissors sweep. Finished with a loop choke from sprawl top. Learned an important part which was where to stick your head so that you don't get smashed when you roll. Finished with a light grapple with Wes. I went for a d'arce, ezekiel and guillotine off from top half guard but couldn't get anything.

I found out yesterday that Prof. Marcio is Carlos Gracie Jr's highest ranking black belt. Kind of cool that he is teaching classes at downtown for a while.

Meant to post this yesterday. Laney (who is 9 now) did 9 unassisted p/u's yesterday morning. She has to be able to do 10 to make team. She started 2 weeks ago and is getting up 10 minutes early to do them 5 days a week. She will have it easily by the end of next week.

http://westvolusiawellness.com/
Derek Simonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 09:42 AM   #2264
Arien Malec

Damn, I'm flying to DC Tuesday night....
Arien Malec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 02:31 PM   #2265
Derek Simonds

30 April 2011 Saturday

When I got home last night I ate take out lasagna and garlic bread from a local restraunt. I was starved and ate a pretty good portion. Apparently something didn't sit well with my stomach as I had liquid BM's this morning. I was planning on doing a tournament today but that just wasn't in the cards. I made it through the rough times this morning and went to class.

BJJ All Levels: Trained a neat takedown where you broke their grip with both hands pulled them across your body and swam your arm in to a sit single. Nice movement. Went to the ground for some half guard passing, a gi choke from side control and a setup from the same position into a triangle from the mount. I grappled with my buddy Mark who has been out with pneumonia and went real easy. I also rolled with one of our female blue belts. Good class for me.

My stomach seems to have calmed down. I am a little shaky but no worse the wear.

Old 05-01-2011, 05:11 PM   #2266
Derek Simonds

01 May 2011

And the pressing continues

D W/U
Foam Roll

Dan John Planks X 5

Press 45 X 5,5,5, 95 X 3,3, 135 X 2,2,2,1,2 (PR)
P/U + C/U + L Sit P/U + Ring P/U a ton

DB Curlz 25 X 12 X 3

Jr and I were in a p/u variant war today. I have no idea how many I did just a ton with him though. I did an L-Sit Ring P/U and held it at the top for 20 seconds which won a bet with him.

The press was nice. 135 is still super heavy but dang it I am making progress.

Spent some time in the neighbors pool then cooked chicken sonora for a house full of people. All in all great day.

Old 05-01-2011, 07:42 PM   #2267
Arien Malec

Killing it on the press.
Old 05-04-2011, 07:05 AM   #2268
Derek Simonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arien Malec View Post
Killing it on the press.
I am pretty sure that both Dave VS and Gant told me that to get better at pressing you need to press. It appears to be working for me right now.

4 May 2011

Hotel workout Vacaville CA

D W/U
Mobility Work

DB Curlz + Press 25,30,35,40 X 5
DB Crush 25,30,35,40 X 10
DB Shrugz 40 X 12 X 4

DB Incline Bench 30 X 12, 40 X 12,12,20
DB Row 40 X 12,15,15, 45 X 25
DB Flexion 15 X 12, 20 X 15,15, 25 X 20
DB Extension 5 X 12, 10 X 12,12, 15 X 20

DB Flyes + Prison Press 25 X 12, 30 X 12,12, 35 X 12
DB Bat Wings 15 X 8,8, 20 X 8,8

I didn't find the 45 DB's until half way through the workout. Could have used them earlier. I did some gripper work but I wasn't feeling it so I bagged them until tomorrow. My forearms and hands felt super strong just didn't like the gripper feeling for some reason.

Planning to do some lower body DB work tomorrow morning at the hotel before I hit the airport to fly home. Looking forward to getting home for some of my wifes famous tacos for Cinco de Mayo.

Old 05-04-2011, 07:54 AM   #2269
Arien Malec

Hotel workouts can be fun. Vacaville, not so much
Old 05-04-2011, 07:59 AM   #2270
Derek Simonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arien Malec View Post
Hotel workouts can be fun. Vacaville, not so much
Yep I love doing different stuff when I am on the road. I haven't seen much of Vacaville yet just the road into the hotel.

Just found out an article I wrote for Ryan Pitts at Stronger Grip was published. Here is a link to the article.

http://www.strongergripblog.com/