Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Training Logs

Old 11-19-2007, 09:21 AM   #221
Derek Simonds

Saturday November 17

BJJ Seminar with Carlos Gracie JR (WOW)

Here are a lot of random items from the seminar, starting with a very cool quote.

"What BJJ is at it's source is self defense, trouble in the street you have to survive, this isn't sport with rules, you have to survive. You have to be able to last 3 minutes til help gets there. If you do you win, you survive. That is the main thing in the street."

"Guard is your castle if they attack and you have them in your guard they are outside the walls, if they have the mount they are in the Kings room getting ready to take over. You must have a strong guard."

Technique work
Double Leg
My body has to be close to his legs
You have to explode
Use the GI to move him unto his toes at the same time kneel grab back of knees and push to the opposite side with your entire body

Guillotine Defense
If you get caught in a guillotine on the takedown grab their arm around your neck with the hand on the same side and reach over their neck with your other arm to prevent them from being able to stretch you out with their legs. Once you are secure drive your shoulder into their neck by posting your feet and pushing through hips as hard as you can. When they start to release use your arm on their arm around your neck to hold tight and look towards the ceiling to create space to escape.

Carlos talked about how many times people drill the double and single to get it perfect. He has a takedown that goes to half guard that he believes the average BJJ player can use in a couple of weeks consistently.

Takedown to Half Guard
Pull opponent and step out wide to left, shoot right leg through and hook back of their right leg. Pull them towards you as you go to the ground and figure four your legs. On the ground you need to secure their leg with your top arm. Once that is secure escape your hips pop to your bottom elbow. Transition from their leg to their waist and escape out and take their back. Proceed to some type of choke.

In the half guard do not let your opponent flatten you out if they do you are in trouble as they now have a dominant position. If they try to flatten you out block by putting your bottom arm on your own head so they can't grab your back or neck. With your other arm block their body and swim under their arm to their back. Pull them up several times by shrimping down and pulling up on their back. Once you can reach their shin with your bottom hand grab it and pull it to your top hand. Switch hands by grabbing their foot. Once you secure the foot either escape your hips outside and take their back or use their foot to flip them onto their back.

If they reach through your arm you swam under their top arm grab it with the same hand. Grab their knee with your other hand and sweep them over the top of you.

When you are in the guard and the person on top is posting hard on your chest use the figure four grip on their hand to break the grip by pushing way to one side. Once it is way outside swing it back across their body to initiate a hip escape to their back.

When you are in the street and your opponent attacks with a punch transition to hip escape and omoplata.

I have more but I have to get to the airport.

http://westvolusiawellness.com/
Derek Simonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 09:25 AM   #222
Derek Simonds

Monday November 19

DROM W/U first time felt good
B W/U

MS 45 X 3
SN 61 X 3, 81 X 1 X 3, 86 X 1 X 3, 93.5 X 1 3
C&J 61 X 2, 95 X 2, 115 X 1 X 2, 125 X 1 X 2, 135 X 1 X 2
FS 135 X 2, 145 X 2, 155 X 2, 160 X 1
DB Incline Press 40 LB's 3 X 8

Old 11-20-2007, 04:55 AM   #223
Derek Simonds

Tuesday November 20

DROM W/U
B W/U

SN 45 X 3, 65 X 3, 85 X 2, 95 X 2
C&J 45 X 3, 65 X 3, 95 X 2, 115 X 2, 135 X 2

Planks all ways X 2

Sure is weird using iron weight when you are o/lifting. It messes with your head a little. I am in York PA and figured out of all the cities they would at least have well stocked gyms. Lots and lots of iron no bumpers.

Today was nice not too hard.

Old 11-21-2007, 08:31 AM   #224
Derek Simonds

Wednesday November 21

Is everybody on holiday already?

I have been putting together some high energy mixes on my Ipod so I am not listening to the same songs every day. My main purpose was to create some higher levels of aggression through my music mix. Well this morning I learned the easiest way to increase levels of aggression was to have your PMS'ing wife work out with you. HOLY CRAP! I just smiled a lot and didn't say anything. Luckily I made it out alive.

2 Rounds of Craig Ballantyne's TT W/U with wife
DROM
B W/U

MSN 45 X 3
SN 61 X 2, 81 X 2, 91 X 1, 98 X 1 X 2
C&J 61 X 2, 95 X 2, 115 X 1 X 2, 130 X 1 X 2, 140 X 1 X 2

No planks for me today thank you.

All felt good. I have a 5K that I run every year with my family tomorrow and I have to decide how hard I am going to attack it. My hip flexors are extraordinarily sore for some reason.

Happy Best Bar Night of the year to everyone.

Old 11-22-2007, 07:16 AM   #225
Derek Simonds

Thursday November 22

5K Turkey Trot at Spurling Sports Complex

This is our annual family run. Ran it with my wife, son, sister and mother. It is a special time for us. I haven't run at all in since I don't know when. We saw one of my sisters friends who was running the 10 miler and asked her what pace she was going to run and she told us 8 minute miles. Based on that we tucked in with her and followed her out to the turn around. I got a cramp at 1 mile that wouldn't go away. I ran through it and my sister and I finished within 5 seconds of each other.

Final time on the chip was 24:45 for a 7:45 pace and gun time was 25:01. I really wanted to break 24 minutes but under the circumstances (no running and a cramp) I am very happy with it.

My 7 year old walked and ran with his mom and grandmother and finished in 44 minutes. I walked back out and picked him up with about 6/10's of a mile and we ran in together which was awesome.

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone.

Old 11-24-2007, 11:11 AM   #226
Derek Simonds

Saturday November 24

Went over to Crossfit Evolution to lift with Leo today.

SN worked up to 132 LB's new PR by 14 LB's missed 137 and 142, I had 137 in the bottom position and just couldn't stand up. 142 was there just didn't get it locked in at all.

C&J worked up to 176 LB's new PR by at least 16 LB's maybe a couple more. Missed 186 and 181. Cleaned both just didn't have the jerk.

Leo has video of the 132 SN but his batteries went dead on the C&J. In looking at the videos my arms are bending to soon and I need to work on my back position in the pull other than that I was pretty happy with my technique. My limiting factor is definitely strength. Every time I would lift Leo would say hey you need to squat more.

Greg thanks for the great program. I am 3 LB''s off my SN goal for the year and 11 LB's on the C&J. I am confident that after this next strength cycle I will be there.

Before I left Leo gave me some kipping instruction for my P/U's watch out world I actually understood it.

Old 11-26-2007, 06:02 AM   #227
Leo Soubbotine

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSwHjneeCZg
Leo Soubbotine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 07:07 AM   #228
Allen Yeh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo Soubbotine View Post
Do you always workout in your oakley hat?

Seriously though, nice lift.
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 05:12 PM   #229
Derek Simonds

Yes I always wear my Oakley hat it is my lucky hat Lately I have been wearing an Oakley knit watch cap which I like a lot but the weather warmed up so I didn't need it.

Old 11-28-2007, 05:16 PM   #230
Derek Simonds

Monday November 26

Back squat 170 LB's x 3 x 5
Snatch deadlift work up to 140 LB's x 3 x 3
Push press 95 LB's x 5 x 3
Pull-ups 2 x 8
Turkish get-up sit-ups 16 KG KB x 6/side x 2 sets

I got up at 4:45 am to get this in before I had to head to the airport. It was brutal. Push Press felt really odd and I don't know why. It was almost like I wanted to immediately go into a jerk. TGUSU's made my left shoulder hurt bad. I am going to have it looked at for sure before the end of the year.