Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Training Logs

Old 06-09-2011, 06:49 AM   #2321
Derek Simonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Weaver View Post
That picture makes me feel calm. And that's your "office"?
It is as the sunsets. Seriously though most of my job consists of email and phone calls. With my iPad2 and my cell I am completely able to do 95% of my job from any location. I took that picture and then was on the phone with a client in Hawaii for about 30 minutes. That works for me.

Arien I feel you brother, I will be in a random city and a random hotel next week.

http://westvolusiawellness.com/
Derek Simonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 01:05 PM   #2322
Derek Simonds

8 June 2011 Wednesday PM

BJJ Fundamentals: I think I was sweating 40 proof. Good class lots of weird political stuff going on so I only stayed for fundamentals. Competition class tomorrow.

Old 06-10-2011, 07:26 AM   #2323
Derek Simonds

10 June 2011 Friday

D W/U
Foam Roll

Bench up to 175 X 5 X 3, 135 X 15
Chin Ups 5 X 6
FG BB Curlz 45 X 10,10, 55 X 12, 12
Flyes + Prison Press 30 X 10, 35 X 10 X 3

This all kind of flowed together. I was constantly supersetting stuff. So when I finished my 6th set of Chins I went right to curlz after my next bench set. I did a total of 8 sets of bench. My lower body finally feels good enough after the last week of travel and rough seas to workout. Tomorrow squat and dl!

I think that is my first real bench session since I pulled the muscle in my lower back. It felt good, no pain and I lifted fairly well. I will take it.

Old 06-10-2011, 09:42 AM   #2324
Eduardo Chile

Seems like good news!

Excited to see how your sq/dl session goes! You were pulling some nice weight before!

I've been sleeping with an under armour compression long sleeve shirt and it seems to help with recovery. I'm looking to get some compression pants in the future.

Log at RTS
Eduardo Chile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 04:53 AM   #2325
Derek Simonds

10 Jun 2011 Friday

BJJ: Competition class. Worked on two techniques for an opponent that is really resisting an armbar. One was the leg through triangle and the other was the double elbow shoulder lock. Both are effective if you can keep the opponent pinned.

Grappled 1 round with a super strong blue belt. I was able to pull off tons of submissions. It was almost like he was resisting so much it made it easier to get the sub. Finished with Zach who wanted to work open guard passing. Basically I learned that is a hole in my game. Pretty much he would stand up and get away from me and explode around my legs somehow. I only managed to hold him off for a minute the last time. Wow.

Old 06-12-2011, 05:13 AM   #2326
Derek Simonds

11 June 2011 Saturday

D W/U
Foam Roll
FS up to 175 X 1 X 4

Well that wasn't what was planned. I got started working out and the garage was a total disater area. Tracy has a new personal training client starting Monday so I went to work. Ended up totally rearranging a whole bunch of stuff.

12 June 2011 Sunday

D W/U
Foam Roll
Press up to 115 X 7 X 3
FG DL up to 185 X 5
DB Curlz 25 X 12, 30 X 12 X 2

Pressing is a continual improvement right now for me. I am super frustrated though as my back is still bothering me. I think I pulled a muscle between my spine and scapula doing the DL's. So ridiculous.

Old 06-12-2011, 06:25 AM   #2327
Eduardo Chile

I wonder if there is something staying tight somewhere and it's causing all your problems? How's the flexibility when you deadlift? One thing I do in the winter time is apply Hot Pink or Blue Heat to warm up the muscles faster.

The press is nothing but good news though.

Letting you know I'm probably going to do the Treasure Coast Classic in Port St. Lucie late August.

Log at RTS
Eduardo Chile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 12:06 PM   #2328
Arien Malec

Slow and steady. Nice work on the press. I figure muscle tweaks are my body's way of telling me I'm being an idiot before worse stuff happens.
Arien Malec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 06:27 PM   #2329
Derek Weaver

Odd with the back stuff. My first though was something in the shoulder region being tight or weak and messing with your back. I used to get this kink under my scapula all the time before and for about 2 years after I had surgery. Different place it sounds like, but maybe a similar cause. Weak and over lengthened muscles on one side, and shortened, over active on the other can cause weirdness.

Hope it goes away soon.
Derek Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 09:56 AM   #2330
Derek Simonds

Guys whatever it is I need to get it resolved. I am going to talk to my doctor and see what he wants to do. I have a curvature in my spine and am sure that what Derek mentioned is probably impacting it. Got a massage from Tracy Sunday night. It was fantastic and just what I needed. Then I got on a flight to Allentown and spent 12 hours in a plane over two days. Blah. Oh well.

15 June 2011 Wednesday

D W/U
Foam Roll

Press up to 115 X 8,8,5,6,6
Chin Up 4 X 8

Feet elevated push up 12 X 6
45 LB FG BB Rows 12 X 6
45 LB R,W,N X 12, 95 X 3 X 3

Is it me or is my press going up I rushed the third set and wasn't fully recovered. On the 6th rep in the last 2 sets I was kind of corkscrewing so I didn't try for any more reps. That was 33 reps vs 21 reps on Sunday. I tried to FS but getting my upper body tight made my back irritable. I actually played with a whole bunch of movements this morning to see what was good. Flat Bench, FS and DL were all no go's. All of the things I did gave me no pain. Right now after doing the rows with no weight my back feels the best it has felt in a week. Interesting how getting some blood flow to the area can help.

The pain is definitely in between my scapula and spine. I think it might have been started by the heavier sets of bat wings I did on Saturday. I am going to do some really light band pull aparts before BJJ tonight and see how I feel. Caution is still the word of the day.