Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Training Logs

Old 07-07-2011, 12:59 PM   #2351
Derek Simonds

7 July 2011 Thursday

Some how I got convinced to do a tearing demo at my clients office today. I vertically tore a 1 3/4 inch phone book like it was nothing and then ripped 3 decks of cards in a row. My hands and forearms are actually quite pumped up right now.

That was the biggest phone book I have ever torn that way and I just shredded it. Very pleased with that. I need to work on my technique or strength a little more on the cards. I am slowing down on the last half for some reason. The first half of the tear is like butter but slows quite a bit in the end.

I fly home super late tonight and back at it at BJJ tomorrow and Saturday. Got word from my wife that she has given massages to 6 olympic gymnasts at Flipfest. Pretty darn cool. Her and the kids are going to take the drive home easy and won't be back until Saturday afternoon / evening. Really looking forward to next week with all of us home together and no house guests.

http://westvolusiawellness.com/
Derek Simonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 09:57 AM   #2352
Derek Simonds

I just looked into the weight classes for the FL State Championships I either need to cut about 8 lb's or put on about 4 lb's and have my conditioning improve significantly in the next 4 weeks. I am going to check my levels of strength versus conditioning over the next couple of days and decide.

Old 07-08-2011, 08:14 PM   #2353
Derek Weaver

Same day weigh ins?
Derek Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 09:49 PM   #2354
Derek Simonds

Same day weigh ins under IBJJ Federation rules. Which means you have to make weight at the start of your group or your disqualified. Basically it means your first match of the day you weigh in with your gi on and either you fight or are disqualified. I would have to make 194.5 with the gi on. My gi is about 5 lb's so that is 189 for me. I was 197 upon waking. After grappling tonight I am going to cut the weight. Shouldn't be a big deal.

8 July 2011

BJJ Competition Class: I got there early and trained with a friend for 45 minutes. Then Fabio said make sure you are warmed up guys then grapple. I ended up grappling for almost 90 minutes non stop. None of my rolls were at competition speed but I was really happy with my overall cardio.

Big class tomorrow. We are going to start doing a unified class on Saturdays to build a sense of team across all 4 locations. Should be interesting.

Old 07-08-2011, 11:22 PM   #2355
Arien Malec

Cutting seems sensible. Weight gain over 4 weeks is going to be mostly fat; weight loss is also going to be mostly fat. If you eat LC, you can drop 3-4# in glycogen and 1 lb/week pretty easily, without even going to water weight.
Arien Malec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 01:57 PM   #2356
Derek Simonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arien Malec View Post
Cutting seems sensible. Weight gain over 4 weeks is going to be mostly fat; weight loss is also going to be mostly fat. If you eat LC, you can drop 3-4# in glycogen and 1 lb/week pretty easily, without even going to water weight.
That was my though also. Although I didn't know the numbers I have easily dropped 8 - 10 lb's in 4 weeks in the past. The big thing is I really need to make sure to work my cardio. I see some LSD coming up over the next 3 weeks.

Old 07-09-2011, 02:01 PM   #2357
Derek Simonds

09 July 2011 Saturday

GBO Unified Class: Class was all about competition and yes we had a live DJ and food throughout the entire event. We did some cool stuff with takedowns, worked a couple of neat techniques from the ground and then divided up into weight groups for an in-house tournament. I had to leave so I grappled 2 rounds with another purple belt.

Marcio is forming a travel team and wants to take us to all the major tournaments next year. He told me that I absolutely was going to Brazil. That right there is kind of exciting. I guess I need to get serious about being ready for the coming year.

Tracy and the kids got home at 2:45 and we are all so excited to be here and together. I just downloaded the pictures from the trip and there is so much cool stuff that we did. Pretty darn neat month all in all.

Old 07-09-2011, 03:21 PM   #2358
Derek Weaver

Cool stuff. Going to Brazil sounds awesome and is one of the places I've always wanted to see. One of my fraternity brothers in college was here from Brazil and said you can spend a month there and feel like you didn't even come close to seeing and doing everything. You'd have a blast out there competing, sight seeing etc.

I also favor the weight cut over the weight gain for what it's worth.
Derek Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 01:19 PM   #2359
Derek Simonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Weaver View Post
Cool stuff. Going to Brazil sounds awesome and is one of the places I've always wanted to see. One of my fraternity brothers in college was here from Brazil and said you can spend a month there and feel like you didn't even come close to seeing and doing everything. You'd have a blast out there competing, sight seeing etc.

I also favor the weight cut over the weight gain for what it's worth.
I am looking forward to it. Brazil is definitely a lifetime goal.

On the weight cut, this might be interesting. This first week is going and the last week are going to be tough. I weighed myself on my ironman scale mulitple times the last couple of days and it keeps saying that I am right at 10% BF. I think it is off but not by 10%. So figure if I am 15% I have 30 LB's of fat and need to cut 9 LB's of that in 4 weeks.

All of my fat is right around my mid section. I am hoping that it will be easy to drop it. The reason I am worried about the last week is that I have had a trip planned to the Keys for my birthday and mini lobster season. In fact one of my best friends from MI is flying in to do some lobster diving and drinking.

Here is a photo from my TN trip with me sitting in the waterfall.

Old 07-10-2011, 01:26 PM   #2360
Derek Simonds

10 July 2011 Sunday

Got talked into doing a beach boot camp this morning. Up at 5:30 am and on the beach working out at 7:00. The guy leading it really thought he was a DI. He had eye black and a boonie on. We must have done 400 push ups. Basically if we weren't doing something else it was push ups.

I played along and had fun. I was with a couple of buddies and one of them has asked me to go every month so I went. I also need the cardio so I figured it was perfect. We were completely and I mean completely covered in sand. There was not a part of me that wasn't sandy. He had us doing burpees, seal crawls, bear crawls, dive roll push ups, roll push ups and all kinds of other craziness.

It was an hour of non stop work. I got close to puking during the tug of war, which my team won but at a pretty high cost. Whew.

I will tell you that being on the beach kind of distracted a lot of the nastiness.