Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Training Logs

Old 07-11-2011, 07:52 AM   #2361
Derek Simonds

11 July 2011

D W/U
Targeted Pain Ball Work
Foam Roll

BS up to 155 X 5,5,3
DL up to 215 X 5, 185 X 5

Press up to 95 X 5,5,8
Fat Man Rows 8 X 5

55 LB BB Curlz W,N,R X 12

All done in 45 minutes and soaking in sweat. I am working my way back into BS and DL's. Today was at about a 5 on RPE for everything. My workout partner is back and in some crazy wager to lose 25 LB's by labor day so he is focused. I pushed the pace and was glad to have someone in the gym with me.

Tomorrow I am going to do abz and some conditioning work. I figure 25 minutes at a steady state and then 2 X 5 minute finishers. One finisher will be the rower and the other is how many rounds of 10 swings and 3 p/u's can be done in 5 minutes.

Oh and about that weight loss thing... I know weight flucuates based on a lot of different things, but I got on the scale this morning after my sweat drenched workout and after having my morning constitutional and I was 199.7. I have been low to mod carb since Tuesday of last week this week is really going to tell the tale if I can make the cut. I am going all the way on LC and am training BJJ 5 times. If I can't make a sizable dent then I am going to eat and train and fight where I am.

http://westvolusiawellness.com/
Derek Simonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 08:33 AM   #2362
Derek Simonds

12 July 2011 Tuesday AM

D W/U
Pain Ball
Foam Roll

25 minutes with 40 lb weight vest + 5 fartleks for good measure. Immediately after with the vest still on 4 sets of planks holding for 30 seconds. That was kind of challenging.

Then 3 rounds of
10 24 KG KB Swings
10 Gaymes style push ups
10 40 LB sand bag bulgarian goat belly swings
10 15 LB bat wings focusing on really moving the scapulas.

That took 5:15 I could have gone faster but I think it was probably just about right for today. My workout partner did 5 reps of each and only got 3 rounds in the same time. Wasn't a sprint but wasn't easy either.

For recovery
Ab wheel of death 8 X 4
40 LB sand bag sit ups 10,12,12,16

And finished with a 5 Minute row that covered 1253 meters.

I was absolutely toast. In fact I laid on the garage floor for about 10 minutes before I got up and went inside. I decided I am going to finish all of my cardio workouts with 5 minutes on the rower to simulate going into the last fight of the tournament tired. I want to keep pushing the pace and see what I have left in the tank.

I figure this was a good combination of LSD and some interval work.

Old 07-13-2011, 01:54 AM   #2363
Derek Weaver

Ab wheel and 40 lb sand bag sit ups? For recovery? Yikes.
Derek Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 05:11 AM   #2364
Derek Simonds

Yeah yikes was right. I think I might have over reached under carbed... I had no energy last night.

12 July 2011 PM

BJJ Fundamentals: Good class some mount escapes, guard recovery and armbars. I worked with two big white belts and helped them mostly.

I just wasn't feeling competition class so I bailed and went home. I got 8:30 hours of sleep last night and feel better today. Just got back from a brisk walk with Lucy and gonna cook some breakfast for Laney and me before I head into work.

Old 07-13-2011, 07:30 PM   #2365
Derek Simonds

13 July 2011 PM

BJJ Fundamentals: Same as last night

BJJ Advanced: Worked side control escapes and drop seo nage. Grappled 3 10 minute rounds. I didn't have a ton of explosive energy but man I felt solid in my game. It was raining armbars tonight that is all I got to say...

Old 07-14-2011, 07:25 AM   #2366
Derek Simonds

14 July 2011

D W/U
Foam Roll
Mobility Work

TGU 16 KG KB did a couple and my left bicep tendon is really hurting in the fron of my shoulder so I bagged this movement.

16 KG KB Snatch X 10 each hand X 5 so 100 total

3 rounds of feet elevated bosu push ups X 8
50 LB DB FG Farmers walk down the drive across the street and back (about 50 M's)
Planks R leg raised 20 s, L leg raised 20 s, normal 20 s

Nothing major but wanted to get my heart rate up a little and get moving. Got a real busy day at work but am going to try and and at least get to grappling over lunch. I won't be able to go tonight.

First real drop in weight was today. 194.5 on the scale. Gonna keep on keeping on and see what happens.

Old 07-14-2011, 04:54 PM   #2367
Derek Weaver

Cool on the weight drop. The one thing I would be a little concerned about is inadvertently digging a hole on the low(er) carbs and fairly high activity.

There is a small movement in boxing to cut very little weigh for a fight. So a guy who may walk around at 155, and trains at 145 may fight at 140. He may end up in the ring against a guy who is walking around at 165 and training at 155, effectively giving up 10 lbs, but his legs are fresher and he can do what he wants much easier.

Just food for thought while you iron out what weight you will compete at.
Derek Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 07:21 AM   #2368
Derek Simonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Weaver View Post
There is a small movement in boxing to cut very little weigh for a fight. So a guy who may walk around at 155, and trains at 145 may fight at 140. He may end up in the ring against a guy who is walking around at 165 and training at 155, effectively giving up 10 lbs, but his legs are fresher and he can do what he wants much easier.

Just food for thought while you iron out what weight you will compete at.
That is what the IBJJF is trying to achieve. The way the weigh-ins works you are limited to what you can cut and still feel good. I am going to keep eating the way I am and see what happens over the weekend. It is an as I go strategy right now.

Old 07-15-2011, 07:24 AM   #2369
Derek Simonds

14 July 2011 Thursday PM

I had clients in town and took them to dinner so I got in a short but intense grappling session.

Met up with Chile and we trained upstairs at the academy. Unfortunately the A/C is out and it had to have been over a 100 in there.

We trained 3 on 1 off for 8 rounds. First 6 rounds we rotated top to bottom on side control and the last round was closed guard. Like I said short but really intense. I need to work more with Chile this next 10 days as he is about 215 right now and that is a good weight for me to work against.

Old 07-15-2011, 07:28 AM   #2370
Derek Simonds

15 July 2011 AM

D W/U

40 LB weight vest for 20 minutes then

10 X 40 M's as fast as I could comfortably go. It was faster then a jog but slower then a sprint. I timed one lap and I clocked in at 12 seconds. I was definitely running though and focused on landing on the balls of my foot. This took a total of 10 minutes

4 X 30 second elbow planks with 40 lb weighted vest. The extra 10 seconds on the first rounds was challenging.

Press 45 X 10, 95 X 6,7,7,8
BB Row 45 X 10, 95 X 10 X 4

I had a weird tightness in my neck and upper back so I didn't push it on the presses. Discretion is definitely the operative word for me over the next 3 weeks.