Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Training Logs

Old 07-15-2011, 09:33 AM   #2371
Derek Weaver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Simonds View Post
That is what the IBJJF is trying to achieve. The way the weigh-ins works you are limited to what you can cut and still feel good. I am going to keep eating the way I am and see what happens over the weekend. It is an as I go strategy right now.
yeah, a small weight cut of 5 lbs can be achieved by skipping breakfast and fluids the morning of the weigh in, plus a trip to the restroom and you're good. A quick PB&J, some 1/2 gatorade + 1/2 water, and you're good.

Just don't pack a lip full Cope to get yourself spitting to cut some water. I have a not very funny story of a weight cut out of solidarity involving Cope.
Derek Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 12:05 PM   #2372
Derek Simonds

15 July 2011 Noon

BJJ Competition class: Quick warm up and then 2 X 10 minutes with 2 other purple belts both of which were 215. Working with these big dudes is really good for pushing me. The first guy had a great post and bridge roll escape from the bottom. I really had to work to get anything. I lost my position a lot but was able to regain it. If it was a tournament he said I would have killed him on points.

Second guy gave me hell. He basically just stalled the whole round. He never really went for anything but he had a really good open guard so I tried a bunch of different things without killing myself. I almost passed a couple of times.

Good to work with the bigger guys I need it.

Tonight is a Rolles Gracie seminar and I am looking forward to participating.

http://westvolusiawellness.com/
Derek Simonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 12:49 PM   #2373
Derek Simonds

Here is an interesting article about the history of Gracie Barra Prof. http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2011/7/12...f-gracie-barra

Being a GB homeboy it is pretty cool that I have trained with

Marcio Simas (that is my main instructor now)
Carlos Gracie Jr
Marcio Feitosa
Roberto Maia
Eddie Redzovic along with his brother Adem Redzovic in Chicago
I have trained at Georges St. Pierre's gym in Montreal and just missed him by one day

It definitely has been fun training at all of these different schools.

Old 07-16-2011, 03:18 PM   #2374
Derek Simonds

15 July 2011 PM

Rolles Gracie seminar: I learned last night that Rolles dad who is Rolls Gracie was Marcio's professor. Rolls was widely considered the best Gracie fighter of all time. He died in a hang gliding accident in 1982 and that is when Marcio went with Carlos Gracie Jr (who took over Rolls school) and started training at Gracie Barra.

Kind of neat that Marcio's first instructors son was here training us.

All kinds of really good stuff. Rolles has really good stand up. He showed us some good stuff off of some power grips.

On the ground we worked a big guy power game. Rolles is 6'4" 250'ish. Works for me. My notes are in the car and I will update this post with them later.

Seminar lasted about 2:30 and I was totally spent by the time it was over.

Old 07-16-2011, 03:21 PM   #2375
Derek Simonds

16 July 2011 Saturday AM

D W/U
Foam Roll

DB Incline Bench 40 X 10, 50 X 10 X 2, 65 X 6 X 2
Fat Man Rows 10 X 6
Black Band Pull Aparts 20 X 6

BS up to 185 X 1,1,2,3,4,2
Ab Wheel 10 X 5

Big Mace + 5 LB's 100 revolutions

Drag Curlz 45 X 15

Squats felt great and I was able to keep my knees pushed out all the way through. I also got my New Balance Minimus MX 20's and I love them. I ordered a .5 size larger and got the EE. Amazing feel.

Old 07-16-2011, 03:49 PM   #2376
Derek Simonds

16 July 2011 Saturday Noon

BJJ Competition: Really a good class today. We worked multiple ways to pull guard and I found a couple that work extraordinarily well for me. Did some cool stuff on the ground and then we went live with refs and points.

I worked with my friend Mark who is a high ranking Judo player and we found some stuff that just fit right into my game. I am going to meet him at his Judo Coaches house for some training tomorrow night.

It was good cause we got to start standing up and then play from there. I had a good first match and then I did a second match with one of the best guys in the gym and we agreed that we would only work stand up. Once position was established on the ground we would get back. We did that for 6 minutes and were both just covered in sweat. Amazing work today.

Old 07-17-2011, 07:32 AM   #2377
Derek Simonds

Here are a couple of pictures from the seminar. The first I am in transition to an armbar from a choke.

And here I am with Rolles. He is a big dude.

Old 07-18-2011, 07:13 AM   #2378
Derek Simonds

18 July 2011 Monday

Took yesterday for a full rest day. I had nothing planned at all so we just kind of floated through the day. We capped it off with a nice steak dinner and watching the Prince's Bride with the kids. That was their first time seeing the movie and it was wonderful.

D W/U
Foam Roll

BS up to 185 X 3 X 4
P/U's with varying grips 37
Press up to 105 X 5 X 4

AMRAP in 5 minutes of
10 Bosu Ball Feet Elevated Push Ups
8 Bat Wings with 20 LB DB
10 40 LB Sand Bag Bulgarian Goat Belly Swings

I made it through 3 times + the push ups and bat wings

Row 5 Minutes
Finished with 1253 M's. During the row I imagined I was in a match and went hard for the first minute, slowed down some then would do 15 second to 20 second intervals to simulate really going after a pass or a submission. Then I would slow back down some for active recovery. I hammered it the last 30 seconds and then fell off the rower.

So about the weight thingy. It is decided. I am going to fight Heavyweight. I haven't had a processed carb other then 1 slice of pizza with the kids since July 5th. I weighed in Sunday morning and I know I was dehydrated but I still weighed 200.7 lb's and the scale said 9.6% BF. I carry most all of my fat right around my midsection and cutting out beer and processed carbs I know I am going to lean out. I feel really good right now at this weight in the academy and that is where I am going to stay.

Old 07-18-2011, 01:06 PM   #2379
Derek Simonds

18 July 2011 Monday Noon

BJJ Advanced: Good class and we revisited an old move from side control that uses your knee to clear out the inside arm if the guy is playing t-rex defense. Once the arm is cleared you go straight to an inside cross collar choke. Pretty cool setup once you get used to it.

Grappled 2 X 10 minutes. First grapple with a buddy who is smaller and we just went at it. Very athletic role. At one point he went for a straight ankle and I was able to defend and do a sit and spin pass. That pass got some applause from the observers. I did catch an armbar in transition. I am finding that a lot easier to do. Second role was tight and technical. Guy is about my size and same level. Good all around roll and I tried to only go at 70% and work for sweeps and submissions.

Here is a picture that a friend took the other night of one of my all time favorite sneaky gi chokes from the back. In fact you can see that I am grinning while applying it...

Old 07-18-2011, 03:47 PM   #2380
Derek Weaver

That is a great picture
Derek Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote