Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Training Logs

Old 07-18-2011, 06:08 PM   #2381
Kevin Perry

Yeah it is, bad ass
Kevin Perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 06:14 AM   #2382
Derek Simonds

Thanks guys. Training is going really well right now.

18 July 2011 PM

Yep I am rolling with 3 a days...

Judo with Mark at his coaches house. The mats at the academy take a toll on you when you get thrown a ton so we met up at a Judo place to train. Much nicer. I have isolated my problem with Judo, it is the same with dancing... My upper body does not always want to move in conjunction with my lower body. So what you are saying is you want me to open my opponents arms, pull myself to him while pulling him onto the balls of his feet and applying all of my weight downwards on him at the same time I am again moving my feet. Right, got it!

We ended up doing 90 minutes of practice with a lot of uchi komi's (I think) which is basically just entry practice to try and get my feet to move along with my upper body.

We did about 15 minutes of randori and I practiced the moves we have been working over the last month. I am feeling better about stand up just not certain I want to stay there long.

http://westvolusiawellness.com/
Derek Simonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 07:08 AM   #2383
Derek Simonds

19 July 2011 AM

D W/U
Foam Roll

40 LB Weight Vest 25 minutes pushing the pace walking. Then 10 X 40 M's sprints. Ended up with a total of 35 minutes at an average HR of 125. With the vest on I did 3 planks from elbows at 30 seconds and one from hands for 40 seconds. After last plank my HR was 137 I took the vest off and my HR was down to 119 in 47 seconds. I was pleased with that.

5 X 4 TGU SU's w/ 16 KG KB each hand
Run the rack DB Curlz up to 50 X 1 then drop to 25 X 10

Ab roller focused on pushing hips through first like in Cressey video yesterday did 10 X 4 http://ericcressey.com/rollouts-friend-or-foe
20 LB DB Lying Tricep Extension X 10 + Floor Press X 12 X 4

Good combination of conditioning, abz and a little arm work.

Old 07-19-2011, 06:19 PM   #2384
Derek Simonds

19 July 2011 PM

BJJ Fundamentals: Worked some standup escapes, side control escapes and arm triangle.

BJJ Advanced: Worked on takedowns for warm up, a great choke from knee on belly and then grappled. Grappled with one of our really big purple belts and had a good roll then went with a super strong and aggressive blue belt. He neck cranked the ever loving bejeesus out of me. I tapped loud and hard right as my jaw popped loud enough for him to hear. Wow that sucked.

Just wasn't feeling explosive tonight. I really think I may have severely over estimated my ability to recover the last couple of days...

I am going by feel tomorrow. If I wake up I will do some strength work, if I don't I will skip and see how I feel for BJJ tomorrow night.

Old 07-20-2011, 10:33 AM   #2385
Derek Simonds

20 July 2011 AM

Foam Roll
D W/U

DL up to 225 X 5

I woke up my HR was 59 and I felt ok but didn't want to push it. I really focused on form and pulling back with my lats squeezed tight.

There is a serious summer time cold going around the office and the academy. I have felt crunchy in the back of my throat the last couple of days so I am being doubly cautious.

Starting tomorrow my daughter is in the North American Miss competition. It lasts 3 days and there are events all day long starting tomorrow at 4:00. Luckily my wife is very engaged and all I will have to do is show up and support Laney.

Old 07-25-2011, 11:47 AM   #2386
Derek Simonds

25 July 2011 Monday

I caught that damn cold. I didn't train at all since the last entry in my log. Just tried to be smart and not Weaver myself. I do love that Derek's last name is now a verb.

D W/U
Foam Roll

Press up to 95 X 8,8,10,8
BS up to 185 X 2,3,3,3
Chin Ups 5 X 5

Some DB Arm stuff and off to work.

Old 07-25-2011, 04:39 PM   #2387
Derek Weaver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Simonds View Post
I didn't train at all since the last entry in my log. Just tried to be smart and not Weaver myself. I do love that Derek's last name is now a verb.
You and I both. If that's the legacy I leave, I'm happy with that. Bummer about the cold.
Derek Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 07:05 PM   #2388
Eduardo Chile

Sucks about the cold. Hope you kick it soon. I've had good success taking 2000 mg of vitamin C multiple times a day.

Let me know if you're doing BJJ this week.

Log at RTS
Eduardo Chile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 06:38 AM   #2389
Derek Simonds

3 August 2011 Thursday

I am BACK!!!! And to quote my my good friend LL "Don't call it a comeback" That cold ended up being an absolute bear. I was as sick from that as I have been in a many years. It appears to have been viral as I never got the green snot of a bacterial infection. As I was recovering from the cold I went to the Keys for my birthday and mini lobster season. Unfortunately the wind was ripping 20+ knots for the first 4 days and we didn't get to do much lobstering.

We did however drink mucho tequila, eat very well and just generally enjoy life in the tropics. Saturday I drove my friend back to the airport and picked up my kids and we went back for another 3 days. I love hanging in the Keys with the kids. They have so much fun. We snorkeled, fished, kayaked, stated up late and ate whatever we wanted. Here are a couple of pictures.

Here is me with a really nice snook that I caught on Friday.

Lane Dawg and Jr heading out snorkeling. I was proud of Jr he was getting to the bottom in 20 feet of water pretty consistently this year. You can see by the color of the water that it was really stirred up.

Jr in the middle of a nice 1 1/2 off the tower of the boat.

A manatee cow and her calf swam right up to the dock while we were night fishing.

Old 08-04-2011, 06:44 AM   #2390
Derek Simonds

Me and my friend heading out to do some kayak fishing. I seriously paddled at least 2 hours a day every day so I am counting that as some sort of cardio...

Lane Dawg with one of her Mangrove Snappers. She takes her fishing seriously can you tell.

And finally here is Jr with one of the many Mangrove Snappers he was catching.

I really enjoyed this trip and had a lot of time for reflection. I came away with some new goals for family, work and fitness and I am looking forward to the remainder of the year.