Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Training Logs

Old 08-04-2011, 06:47 AM   #2391
Derek Simonds

03 August 2011 Thursday

D W/U
Foam Roll

Press up to 95 X 5 X 3
DL up to 185 X 5 X 3, 205 X 5

3 rounds of
95 LB Power Clean X 3
Pull Ups X 5
Feet Elevated Push Ups X 10
All done in 3:23

45 LB BB Curlz W,N,R X 12 each

I finished unloading the burb and cleaning up the garage while I was working out. Nice feeling to be back in the gym.

http://westvolusiawellness.com/
Derek Simonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 06:58 AM   #2392
Derek Simonds

So about those fitness goals. Here they are.

1) To run a fast and pain free 5K with my family in October and November.
2) 3/4 BW Press. At my current BW that should be somewhere between 145 and 150 LB's. I probably was there right before I hurt my back. Now not so much.
3) 15 consecutive pull ups and 15 reps bench press at my BW. This is from a Dan John article where he said that this a great strength benchmark for a combat athlete.
4) No specific goal but linear progression on DL, FS and BS again focusing on pain free.

I am going to attain all of those by the end of the year.

Quick funny story from the Keys. One of the people that was there is a big time xFitter. I mean she is all about it. Apparently she has been doing it for about 2 years. She is in great shape from it. Somehow after multiple shots of tequila and a double espresso I got talked into a first to 50 burpee race. I did it in 3:47 and didn't puke which was my main goal. She beat me by 20 seconds though. I went out of the gate too hard or I would have got her...

Lets just say that a first to 50 burpee race on multiple shots of tequila leaves a little to be desired.

Old 08-04-2011, 11:10 AM   #2393
Arien Malec

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Simonds View Post
So about those fitness goals. Here they are.

1) To run a fast and pain free 5K with my family in October and November.
2) 3/4 BW Press. At my current BW that should be somewhere between 145 and 150 LB's. I probably was there right before I hurt my back. Now not so much.
3) 15 consecutive pull ups and 15 reps bench press at my BW. This is from a Dan John article where he said that this a great strength benchmark for a combat athlete.
4) No specific goal but linear progression on DL, FS and BS again focusing on pain free.
Totally achievable, depending on what you mean by "fast" for the 5K. You doing something like 5/3/1 + running and conditioning to get there?

By "linear progression" you mean "higher at EOY than now", yes? Rather than workout to workout linear progression?

Quote:
Lets just say that a first to 50 burpee race on multiple shots of tequila leaves a little to be desired.
I feel sick just thinking about it.
Arien Malec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 12:54 PM   #2394
Derek Simonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arien Malec View Post
Totally achievable, depending on what you mean by "fast" for the 5K. You doing something like 5/3/1 + running and conditioning to get there?

By "linear progression" you mean "higher at EOY than now", yes? Rather than workout to workout linear progression?

I feel sick just thinking about it.
Fast for me means keeping up with Jr. He has ran in the low 25 minute range the last two years. I would ideally like to be able to pace him in the 24 minute range. I am going to run one day LSD and one day sprints. The LSD day is a dual purpose day. My wife runs and we will run together. I am always looking for ways to do stuff with her and she is excited about that.

Yes higher at the end of the year then now. I didn't want to set a specific goal on those lifts. I really like linear progression but what I have found is when I start getting into serious (for me) weights it limits my recovery and ability to train BJJ hard. This next year is going to be my big year for BJJ competitions and I am trying to find the right mix of work to make me the best athlete possible.

Old 08-04-2011, 01:21 PM   #2395
Arien Malec

7.75 minute mile -- totally doable. Hill sprints FTW on your sprint day, if you have access to them. That and sled pushes could do double duty for BJJ conditioning as well.
Old 08-05-2011, 05:59 AM   #2396
Derek Simonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arien Malec View Post
7.75 minute mile -- totally doable. Hill sprints FTW on your sprint day, if you have access to them. That and sled pushes could do double duty for BJJ conditioning as well.
My thoughts persactly!

Old 08-05-2011, 06:00 AM   #2397
Derek Simonds

5 August 2011 Friday

D W/U

FS up to 135 X 3 X 5, 185 X 1
DB Incline Bench 40 X 12, 45 X 10, 50 X 10 X 4
DB Row 40 X 12 X 5

Drag Curlz 45 X 15

Foam Roll and Stretch. Nice and quick. Did the 185 just for fun to see how it felt. It felt good.

Old 08-05-2011, 10:10 PM   #2398
Derek Weaver

Looks like a great trip. Welcome back and happy birthday.
Derek Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 05:57 AM   #2399
Derek Simonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Weaver View Post
Looks like a great trip. Welcome back and happy birthday.
Thanks man.

6 August 2011 Saturday night

We got into a feat of strengths challenge at the lake with all the kids and adults. I held a planche (elbows on hips) for 10 seconds to win the adult division Delaney smoked all the kids. She is really good at that skill. We also did zercher box squats with all the dogs and kids. The kids loved it not so sure about the dogs though...

7 August 2011 Sunday

Ran / Walked 2 miles with my wife. Slow pace just making sure that the tendons and ligaments are going to get into the groove with me. Had a little bit of pain but would stretch and then resume.

Old 08-08-2011, 08:54 AM   #2400
Arien Malec

Strongest family in FL!

Good call on the run/walk; I used to be a runner, and I always blast into it, then regret it.