Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Training Logs

Old 08-09-2011, 05:44 AM   #2401
Derek Simonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arien Malec View Post
Strongest family in FL!

Good call on the run/walk; I used to be a runner, and I always blast into it, then regret it.
I think that is the hardest thing for me. I don't feel taxed aerobically but if I run to far or too hard up front I pay for it in my tendons. I guess linear progression is good for everything...

09 AUGUST 2011 Tuesday

D W/U
Foam Roll

BS up to 145 X 5 X 3, 195 X 1
Press up to 100 X 5 X 3, 120 X 1
P/U 3,4,4,4,5

Ab Wheel O'Death an easy 10 X 3
Drag Curlz 45 LB BB X 18

I am amazed at how easy the ab wheel was. I probably could have done sets of 20. I guess some direct ab work is paying off. The squats and press were all right where I wanted them to be.

I am loving my new, New Balance MX20's. They seem to be the perfect shoe for BS and DL plus I can actually run in them. So far so good.

Crazy 3 days starting today. Meetings in Ft Lauderdale at 2:00, Flight to Chicago at 7:30, meetings at 3 different locations in Chicago and then off to Albany NY for meetings Thursday and a flight home. I think I will cue up some theme music...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onjaC3A2xjk&ob=av2e

http://westvolusiawellness.com/
Derek Simonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 08:30 AM   #2402
Arien Malec

Been there on the travel. Uggh. For the ab wheels, have you ever tried the Dan John trick of using a bar loaded with 135# as an ab wheel? Totally worth it.
Arien Malec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 06:35 PM   #2403
Derek Weaver

Good luck on the travel. On the ab wheel, you can also save space and start working on doing them from your knees. Or up an incline if you've got it.

Good stuff on the New Balance shoes too. I have liked the look of their new minimalist line.
Derek Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 05:56 PM   #2404
Derek Simonds

12 August Friday 2011

D W/U

DL up to 185 X 5 X 3, 225 X 5
Bench up to 135 X 5 X 3, 185 X 1, 135 X 10

Some other shiznitty that I forgot.

13 August 2011 Saturday

D W/U

FS up to 145 X 3 X 5, 195 X 1
GM 75 X 10 X 4
RDL 75, 95, 135 X 5,5

5 Rounds of non stop
50 LB FGDB Farmers Walks X 50 M's
16 KG KB Press X 5 each arm

That got the forearms and heart pumping.

Very little sleep Thursday night. Got up early lifted and then took my son to his middle school orientation. I was very impressed with his school. Kind of cool that it is the same school I went to as a kid. I thought I might have flash back dreams last night after spending 3 hours there.

All the lifting went really good. The 195 FS was a little more challenging then i thought it would be.

Did all the back to school shopping with the kids yesterday and did returns today. I helped my dad do crown modeling in my grandmothers bath and bedroom for the last 5 hours. Man my brain is a little out of compound miter cuts. It took me longer to figure out which angle and which way then anything else.

just got done cleaning house and Tracy should be getting home from MI tomorrow around 11:00 the kids and I miss her.

Old 08-13-2011, 06:22 PM   #2405
Arien Malec

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Simonds View Post
5 Rounds of non stop
50 LB FGDB Farmers Walks X 50 M's
16 KG KB Press X 5 each arm
That looks awesome. 25m out and back on the farmers walks?
Arien Malec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 04:23 AM   #2406
Derek Simonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arien Malec View Post
That looks awesome. 25m out and back on the farmers walks?
Yep. My traps have been on fire ever since. I can do the 25m out and back with a lot heavier weights without the fat gripz but add them in and wowser does it change things up.

15 August 2011 Monday

D W/U
Foam Roll

BS up to 155 X 5 X 3, 205 X 1
Press up to 100 X 5 X 5
Chin Up 1,2,3,4 X 2

Ab Wheel X 10 X 3
B/E X 10 X 3

I had a lot of soreness in my posterior chain today. The BS weights weren't heavy they just weren't fast as I thought I would be at that weight.

Going to try and hit BJJ at least 4 times this week. The kids start school next week so Tracy and I planned out the schedule and with the kids gym I will be able to go 3 times a week if I am in town. This gives Tracy some evening appointments and works out all the way around.

I am going to find out where the Pan Am No-Gi's are in October and maybe just maybe I will go compete.

Old 08-15-2011, 03:23 PM   #2407
Derek Weaver

You should totally compete in the Pan Ams.

It's weird to me that so many kids start school the 3rd week of August now.
Old 08-16-2011, 04:35 AM   #2408
Derek Simonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Weaver View Post
You should totally compete in the Pan Ams.

It's weird to me that so many kids start school the 3rd week of August now.
I am getting a whole lot closer to pulling the trigger. It is weird but it works out well since they get out at Memorial Day.

15 August 2011 Monday

BJJ Fundamentals: Worked on single leg, taking the back with a double collar grip and RNC

BJJ Advanced: Worked an arm across inside leg takedown that was really interesting. It was almost like a Navy but you don't go all the way down and because you are shoving the arm across it really throws your opponent. Then we worked a butterfly guard pass that was so, so simple but very effective. Basically you got a double collar grip, jumped to squat, squeezed their legs together while yanking them towards you and you slid into mount. Highly effective.

We have a new instructor that doesn't speak any English at all. He is the coach for "Shogun" Rua and an incredible grappler. I watched him just mow through any one that wanted to train last night. Amazing to see someone at that level.

16 August 2011 Tuesday

D W/U
Foam Roll

40 LB Weight Vest X 35 minutes

Plank with vest X 30 seconds X 5 + Scap Push Ups X 10 X 3

Nice easy workout. Got the HR up but immediately after the planks I was back down to 102. Really pleased with my cardio progress right now.

Old 08-16-2011, 04:02 PM   #2409
Derek Weaver

If that's the same guy that Shogun started with, his standards sound incredibly high, which is awesome.

He (Shogun) was training for something like 16 years and was still a brown belt.
Old 08-17-2011, 04:26 AM   #2410
Derek Simonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Weaver View Post
If that's the same guy that Shogun started with, his standards sound incredibly high, which is awesome.

He (Shogun) was training for something like 16 years and was still a brown belt.
It isn't who Shogun started with but it is who was his ground coach the entire time he was UFC Champion. I watched him grapple a lot the other night and all I can say is I am duly impressed. I am still trying to get the registration information for the Pan-Ams and if I do register I am going to do 3 or 4 privates with Prof Simpson to get fine tuned.

16 August 2011 Tuesday

BJJ Fundamentals: The only thing of interest is that I led the entire warmup. Same class as Monday.

17 August 2011 Wednesday

D W/U
Foam Roll

DL up to 185 X 5 X 3, 235 X 5
Bench up to 145 X 5 X 3, 195 X 1, 145 X 12
P/U's 3,4,5,6

BB Curlz X W,N,R X 15
Tricep Extension + Prison Press 25 LB DB's X 10 X 3
50 LB FGDB Rowz X 10,12,15

Looks like I got the main directions for pulling in this workout, vertical up, down, and horizontal. I imagine my back is going to be sore.

The DL's were dissapointingly hard. So ridiculous that earlier this year a set of 275 X 5 would have been a warm up weight and I would have not even given it any thought. Oh well that is what happens when you come back from an injury.

Up and back trip to DC today and tomorrow. See you on Friday fellows.