Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Training Logs

Old 09-09-2011, 04:48 AM   #2461
Derek Simonds

09 Sept 2011 Friday

D W/U
Foam Roll a lot
Lacrosse Ball

Fancy Shrugz up to 45 X 10 X 3
Hex DB Pinch Curlz up to 35 X 6 X 4

PC 45 X 5,5, 95 X 5, 115 X 3

On the minute for 10 minutes 1 clean + 1 hang power clean at 115. This was surprisingly easy. I thought my form would start to suffer later in the rounds but I was spot on. Next week 125.

De'Franco Shoulder Murder

25 LB Plate Raise X 10 X 2
3 LB DB Scarecrows X 10 X 2
3 LB DB Thumb up side raise X 10 X 2

Good workout and looking forward to some more BJJ tonight.

http://westvolusiawellness.com/
Derek Simonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 02:38 PM   #2462
Derek Simonds

09 Sept 2011 Friday PM

BJJ Competition Class: Ok Marcio and our new Prof Raphael have decided that we need to have harder workouts. So warm up was intense. I totally regretted doing 100 ab wheel roll outs throughout the day. We finished warm up with sets of 50 ab exercises supersetted with 10 sit outs and then back to ab work.

We worked more from half guard and then got some grappling in. The half guard stuff we have been doing this week is amazing. I am really enjoying these new techniques. I can see lots of way to implement these techniques.

Grappling was good. I am feeling much better moving around and was able to get a couple of submissions.

Old 09-10-2011, 02:47 PM   #2463
Derek Simonds

10 Sept 2011 Saturday AM

D W/U
Foam Roll
Lacrosse Ball Work

BS up to 185 X 5 X 3
DL up to 265 X 5, 295 X 1 all double overhand
Bench up to 175 X 5 X 3

Boring but big protocol today. Finished quick and had to head to a funeral for a friends father. I didn't know Jan well but have known his son and his daughter in law for 30 years. All I can say was that the eulogies just tore me up. This man spent the last 20 years on his vacations working in the mission field of Guatemala. He and his wife created a charity that made ovens, planted trees on the hillsides to protect the villages from mud slides and built houses for the locals. I was very impressed and moved by the feelings expressed today.

Sometimes it takes a funeral for you to see what life is really about.

Old 09-10-2011, 03:11 PM   #2464
Derek Simonds

10 September 2011 Saturday Noon

BJJ All Levels: Apparently all levels is now going to be a competition class also. The warm up was another super intense training session. We worked seo nage and 2 more variations off the half guard stuff we have been working this week.

I grappled one time with Prof Marcio which was an experience for me. I have trained many times with the other professors but I really had no idea how hard to go with Prof Marcio. It was the first time in a long time I didn't know how hard to go. So I went conservative on power but really focused on tech. He gave me several very good pointers. It was very cool. I finished with great roll with a guy very close in size to me just a little less upper body and who is a very solid blue belt. He has a great open guard game and is very active with his legs. I was able to pass and worked to 2 arm bars and 1 arm triangle. Really felt like I was moving good.

Next week I think I am going to workout like this.

M: FS, RDL, Press, P/U
T: Row 5 K and then 3 5 minute rounds of something
W: Off
H: Off
F: BS, DL, Bench
S: Conditioning and accessory work
S: Run with the kids

My key workouts for BJJ will be

M: Off
T: Competition Class
W: BJJ
H: No-Gi (this is my A workout of the week)
F: Competition Class
S: All levels or I might be at a low light force on force class
S: Off

Old 09-10-2011, 03:59 PM   #2465
Derek Weaver

Your sparring with your Prof. made me chuckle a bit. Do you go all at them and have them tie you up? Focus on technique? Work until the room goes black?

The short time I rolled, I once sparred with our constructor. I was a white belt, he was a Mundials gold medalist in the Carlson Gracie lineage.

It's stunning to me just how smooth and effortless those high level players really are.
Derek Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 04:13 PM   #2466
Arien Malec

It's exhibition style stuff, but at the top levels, all the folks move like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjH8Ud3iZDk

(you have to pretty much ignore all the "my martial art can beat your martial art" comments).
Arien Malec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 04:34 AM   #2467
Derek Simonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Weaver View Post
Your sparring with your Prof. made me chuckle a bit. Do you go all at them and have them tie you up? Focus on technique? Work until the room goes black?

The short time I rolled, I once sparred with our constructor. I was a white belt, he was a Mundials gold medalist in the Carlson Gracie lineage.

It's stunning to me just how smooth and effortless those high level players really are.
In the past I have always gone all out with them until they submitted me. But and this is a big BUT I have never trained with Marcio before. For whatever reason I felt like I needed to handle it differently. You are right though I have had some incredible submissions pulled on me during those sessions.

Old 09-12-2011, 04:38 AM   #2468
Derek Simonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arien Malec View Post
It's exhibition style stuff, but at the top levels, all the folks move like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjH8Ud3iZDk

(you have to pretty much ignore all the "my martial art can beat your martial art" comments).
I trained in akido off and on for almost 9 years. I should have my black belt but at the time I wasn't interested in testing so I blew it off whenever my instructor offered to test me. Now that I am training in BJJ I find I use a lot of my Akido training when standing and going for wrist locks. I could write an entire article about why I stopped training Akido.

You are right the top level guys in any art tend to move effortlessly.

Old 09-12-2011, 04:42 AM   #2469
Derek Simonds

12 September 2011 Monday

I must be getting adapted to my new sleep patterns. I woke up with no alarm at 4:36 AM and was ready to go. I did however stay in bed until 5:00 when the alarm went off.

D W/U
Foam Roll

FS up to 175 X 3 X 5
RDL up to 205 X 3,3,3,1,1

Press up to 125 X 5,4,4
P/U 2 X 7

25 LB Plate hold and every 10 seconds you add 1 5 lb plate (3 times) and then every 10 seconds you take a plate off back the 25 lb'er and then back up and down. Entire process takes 2 minutes and you will feel it in every muscle in your arm.

Lots of stuff happening today and I am really looking forward to Jr's open house tonight at middle school.

Old 09-12-2011, 10:24 AM   #2470
Arien Malec

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Simonds View Post
I could write an entire article about why I stopped training Akido.
Let me guess: incredibly clubby, superior and insular at the top levels?

From what I've seen, BJJ always seems genuinely interested in development at all levels. I can't say the same about other martial arts.
Arien Malec is offline   Reply With Quote