Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Training Logs

Old 09-12-2011, 02:52 PM   #2471
Derek Simonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arien Malec View Post
Let me guess: incredibly clubby, superior and insular at the top levels?

From what I've seen, BJJ always seems genuinely interested in development at all levels. I can't say the same about other martial arts.
There was definitely that and my original instructor was totally on the outside looking in. He came from a different lineage then the sanctioning body he was training under so... There are politics in all arts I have come to accept that. In BJJ at the lower levels you just don't get exposed to any of it and it is all about developing stuff that really works for you on the mat.

http://westvolusiawellness.com/
Derek Simonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 07:23 AM   #2472
Derek Simonds

13 September 2011 Tuesday

D W/U
Foam Roll (I could seriously spend 30 minutes on the roller)
B W/U
P/C up to 95 X 3 X 2, 115 X 1

On the minute 125 X 1 PC + 1 HPC X 10 minutes

Barbell Complex 95 LB's X 5 reps each of
DL, Row, Jump Shrug, RDL, HPC + 1 Press
3 Rounds with 90 seconds of rest

Row 5 minutes, 2 minutes X 3 with 90 seconds rest. I was planning on rowing at least 10 minutes up to 25 minutes but my lower back was on FIRE! Wonder why? So I did some intervals. Great workout all the way around and BB complex had me a little breathless at the end of the 3 rounds. Next week 5 rounds with an even KG number. Hmm maybe 50 KG's.

Old 09-14-2011, 08:36 AM   #2473
Derek Simonds

13 September 2011 Tuesday PM

BJJ Fundamentals: Full nelson escape, side control escape from different hand positions, and live drilling side control escapes.

BJJ Competition: 45 minute warm up with abs of death, then 13 people laid down and we did line drills 1 minute sweep or submit from bottom or pass from top then switch opponents. I started on top and my 4th opponent stripped my left hand grip a little over zealously and my middle finger and my ring finger are about 1.5 times normal size at my middle finger knuckle. It really pisses me off because I was going easy as I outweighed my opponent by at least 60 lb's and I figured I would let them work for the sweep without me crushing them. So much for Mr. Nice Guy. Not doing that anymore. It seems like the majority of time I have gotten a stupid injury it is from going easy on someone. Oh I also took a knee to the face and have a bruise that takes up the entire back of my elbow. People were really trying to go at competition speed for sure. Which I am ok with I just need to be playing at the same speed.

The good news. My conditioning is really spot on. I was never gassed through out the entire training and could have stayed and grappled if I wasn't so pissed by what happened. When I was on the bottom I swept or armbarred every opponent and passed most of the guards when I was on top. I have been icing my hand nonstop since I left the academy last night and am taking today off. Tomorrow I will buddy tape it for no-gi which should be fine and I will be extra careful on Friday at gi competition class.

Please let the swelling and pain subside I want to fight at Pan Ams!

Old 09-14-2011, 08:47 AM   #2474
Eduardo Chile

Derek I notice the same thing. I think I'm going to start going harder on most people. Sounds great with the conditioning.

Try alternating between hot and cold with the injury. I found this to be more beneficial than just ice. I used to do hot in the whirlpool at about 100 to 110 F and cold at about 60 F.

Log at RTS
Eduardo Chile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 04:44 AM   #2475
Derek Simonds

15 sept 2011 Thursday

D w/u
Foam roll

Band work

10 to 1, 1 to 10
1 arm 16 kg kb swings
Pushups feet elevated

Nice and quick. Got my HR up and some movement in. My posterior chain was lit up when I got done.

I didn't mention it earlier but last week i took my ab roller and a 4 lb engineers hammer to work and have been doing GTG stuff with them every day. Actually picking up quite a bit of work that way. Today I am adding a 25 lb db for more grip work and some curlz...

My finger still is jacked but I can hold onto anything with a thick handle that means I can hold a wrist or ankle. That is all I need.

I hope I can sneak out at lunch and at least grapple no gi.

Old 09-15-2011, 07:56 PM   #2476
Derek Simonds

15 September 2011 thursday

Bjj fundamentals: full nelson defense, side control escape two ways and arm triangle. For some reasoned got into a full nelson contest with me and the instructor. I was holding him and he was trying to escape. He did 3 different moves none worked. He was really good about it. We laughed and he tried more stuff. I think it is just because I have such long arms and can apply some good control from there. Serious talk now. If you don't read Rory Miller's blog start. He is one of the guys who really has been there with real violence and has some great stuff about what you need to be aware of. His take on an attack from the rear is a drilled response of an elbow with movement. I played with that when my partner was grabbing me I liked it. I really would like to drill that with protective gear.

No Gi: line drills with takedowns. 12 guys so 6 on defense 6 on attack. I had good success on defense not so much on attack. I think I got 2 maybe 3 takedowns out of 6 opponents. We worked one of my favorite attacks from guard where you reach under the armpit with the same side hand and then reach over the top and pull the shoulder to you. What i had never seen before was how to do a kimura from there. Very nice and the. If they defend you can go straight to an armlock.

I grappled 2 rounds and hit some quality positions and a couple of submissions.

I need to work with some bigger higher rank guys. I am going to reach out to a couple of guys and try and get some specific training in next week.

Old 09-15-2011, 11:00 PM   #2477
Derek Weaver

Good that you can grip a limb with that finger.

When are the Pan Ams?
Derek Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 06:34 AM   #2478
Derek Simonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Weaver View Post
Good that you can grip a limb with that finger.

When are the Pan Ams?
I thought you asked where. They are October 1st.

New York, NY so good they named it twice. I am working on tickets and hotel today. Not cheap in any sense of the word.

Last edited by Derek Simonds; 09-16-2011 at 12:46 PM. Reason: CAN'T READ!!!
Old 09-16-2011, 06:39 AM   #2479
Derek Simonds

16 September 2011 Friday

D W/U
B W/U

PS 45 X 5, 61 X 3, 81 X 2, 95 X 10 on the minute then 1 at 47.5 KG (I know I am mixing my measurements )

Press up to 130 X 1, 95 X 10

Drag Curlz 55 X 15

This was another quick workout focused on getting moving. The power snatch was fun and pain free except if I tried to lower the weight instead of dropping it. If I lowered it my left shoulder got really angry with me. I also couldn't hook grip comfortably so I skipped that as well. I tried a couple of p/u's and they were a no go on the finger also. I was pleased with speed and form on the PS so that counts as a win for me.

Lots and lots on my plate today but still hoping that I can sneak out at lunch.

Old 09-16-2011, 10:39 AM   #2480
Arien Malec

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Simonds View Post
New York, NY so good they named it twice. I am working on tickets and hotel today. Not cheap in any sense of the word.
I read recently that for most people money doesn't buy happiness, but that can change if you concentrate on buying experiences, not things. This would seem to qualify.
Arien Malec is offline   Reply With Quote