Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Training Logs

Old 01-08-2012, 05:32 PM   #2661
Derek Simonds

Thanks guys. I appreciate the feedback and I think I am going to give IF a go for the balance of the week after surgery. If all goes as planned I should be able to start doing rehab stuff for my shoulder within 7 days. I can do lower as long as it doesn't aggravate my shoulder. So I was thinking lots and lots of walking. Maybe weighted just depending on how I am feeling.

Today was my last workout for a while so Tracy joined me and we went at it.

DB Incline 50 X5, 65 X 3, 70 X 3
DL up to 295 X 1, 315 X 1
P/U's 2 X 4

FS up to 155 X 3 X 3
Explosive Push Ups to Box X 5 X 8

W, N, R BB Curlz non stop 15,12,12 + 20 BB Crush
BOSU Push Ups X 20

It was great working out with Tracy. She is a natural dead lifter. I hope she gets bit by the DL bug cause she could be really good at it.

We did a lot of other band work and prehab movements throughout the workout. I really enjoyed her companionship and she kept the pace high enough that I worked up a good sweat by the time the workout was over.

http://westvolusiawellness.com/
Derek Simonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 06:02 PM   #2662
Derek Simonds

10 January 2012 Tuesday

Surgery is done and it came out as good as can be expected. I had a wicked bad anesthesia hangover. Really sucked but I am thru it now. Typing one handed stinks so I will update more later.

My next two weeks workout will consist of recovery for time.

Old 01-11-2012, 04:31 PM   #2663
Derek Simonds

11 Jan 2012 Wednesday

Well today sucked. I am still bleeding and my shoulder is swollen tight with all the fluid they pumped into it. Really quite crappy feeling actually. I am icing as much as possible and trying to remain calm. Sleep was fairly challenging last night also. Hoping for a much better time tonight.

I have been doing my mobility stuff which is basically just letting your arm swing from your shoulder.

Trying really hard to be a good patient...

Old 01-11-2012, 06:31 PM   #2664
Arien Malec

Ugggh. Rest and heal.
Arien Malec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 06:00 AM   #2665
Eduardo Chile

I hope your shoulder feels great and you can get back to what you love to do.

Log at RTS
Eduardo Chile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 11:39 AM   #2666
Derek Simonds

Thanks Arien and Chile. I know "This to shall pass..."

Another tough night of sleeping but all in all better mobility today. Same amount of pain though. I came into work for a couple of hours and am finishing now and heading home. I am beat.

Hoping for a good nights sleep tonight. I apparently woke my lovely bride multiple times last night.

Old 01-13-2012, 02:32 PM   #2667
Derek Simonds

Hopefully this is the last day of not so nice stuff. Range of motion is increasing steadily and I am still sore but not quite as bad. Hurts when I move but again not as bad.

Old 01-18-2012, 08:19 AM   #2668
Eduardo Chile

Hope your recovery is going well.

Log at RTS
Eduardo Chile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 11:39 PM   #2669
Derek Weaver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Simonds View Post
Hopefully this is the last day of not so nice stuff. Range of motion is increasing steadily and I am still sore but not quite as bad. Hurts when I move but again not as bad.
Crap, I'd forgotten to drop you a comment about your shoulder surgery. Hope you're doing well.

Those first 10 days suck, but what sucks even more is when you start to feel somewhat normal, and then do something fast and that hurts like crazy.

Go slow, get better.
Derek Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 08:06 AM   #2670
Derek Simonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Weaver View Post
Crap, I'd forgotten to drop you a comment about your shoulder surgery. Hope you're doing well.

Those first 10 days suck, but what sucks even more is when you start to feel somewhat normal, and then do something fast and that hurts like crazy.

Go slow, get better.
Man I wish you had written that about 4 days ago... I put on a thermal shirt to head to somewhere up north and didn't even think about trying to shove my arm into the sleeve. I went down to my knees with the pain.

Really rough couple of days. Several factors. Lots of travel, lots of stress and fighting a cold. Mostly just kind of depressed so I haven't wrote much about it. It is amazing to me how the feel of my body is related to my overall attitude. I know I will heal but it has been tough. Since I was in front of so many customers this week I have avoided any pain meds other then ibuprofen. My jaw was starting to bother me and I couldn't figure out why. Turns out I am clinching my teeth. Hmm.

I did rehab /prehab movements 4 days out of 5 this week. I even went to BJJ yesterday (more below). Friday was my recheck. The doctor gave me some bad news. All the hard miles on my shoulder have resulted in me wearing a ragged hole in the cartilage at the top of my shoulder joint. I also had two sub surface tears in the rotator cuff that he didn't fix. He showed me where he made the changes to my shoulder joint and ultimately what that means. As of now there is no way to repair the damage to the cartilage and his recommendation was to slow down. Those of you who know me is that I am not going to do that. My plan is to really stay focused on my shoulder and make it as bullet proof as possible.

21 Jan 2012 Saturday

D W/U
Band work all angles

BJJ United Class: We had an entire academy from Savannah GA come down and train with us. I worked with one of the guys that works there during the drills. I wasn't going to grapple but as I sat and watched I decided I wanted to roll. I grappled with my buddy brown belt Rich and he went easy on me. It was great and I felt alive for the first time in 10 days!!!