Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Training Logs

Old 03-13-2012, 07:13 AM   #2731
Derek Simonds

07 March 2012 Wednesday

D W/U

FS up to 185 X 1 X 5
8 Way Lunges X 5

Off to the airport.

I had a quick trip to our southern office location. It was good. I did a ton of work and a ton of fun stuff as well. The wind was brutal, blowing at 25+ knots W, H and F. But we managed to take the boat out for a little decompression.

While I was there I did body weight exercises along with band work every day. Nothing over the top but enough to keep me moving good.

I got home Saturday and had a great weekend with the family. Sunday the kids and I spent a couple of hours on the river fishing. It is so cool because I can pull up to the boat ramp and the kids get out and do everything to get the boat in the water. All I have to do is back it down the ramp and park the truck. Pretty darn nice.

Here is Jr hooked up to a big catfish that he lost right before it got to the boat.

Here is Laney with a very nice fish from the blue gill family. Not sure exactly which type but it was nice.

And finally here is Jr captaining the boat and Laney rigging her rod for the next fishing hole. If the boat was already in the water they wouldn't need me at all. I guess that means I am doing something right.

I am pretty darn proud of our kids right now.

http://westvolusiawellness.com/
Derek Simonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 07:31 AM   #2732
Derek Simonds

12 March 2012 Monday AM

D W/U

Press up to 95 X 5 X 4, 95 X 8
P/U 3 X 8

Strongergrip.com leverage block curlz + 2.5 LB's X 10 X 3

Ryan Pitts the owner of Stronger Grip sent me one of these. It is awesome. I love grip gear to begin with and have wanted one of these for a while.

Here is a link to the block. http://www.strongergrip.com/products...Block-2X4.html It is really adjustable with the ability to use different weights and to slide the weight further out to increase the difficulty.

12 March 2012 PM

BJJ Fundamentals: Great class with lots of fun drilling. Worked a different entrance to triangle that I had forgotten about. Set up scissor sweep and then block their arm on same side as your top leg and then attack the triangle.

BJJ Advanced: Did a great move I have never seen from DLR where you push like a traditional DLR sweep and then you roll to the side under your opponents leg and then on top of it for the sweep and pass. I really don't know how to describe it other then that. I was able to nail it consistently and liked it a lot. I am going to add it into my game.

Grappled two rounds. First with one of our really strong really good blue belts. I was able to get an armbar and an arm triangle off of simple mistakes he made. I was most happy though when I was able to sweep him from open guard. That was what I was working the entire time. The roll felt good. I grappled with one of our advanced brown belts and he worked me good. He made one mistake in the beginning I was able to capitalize on for a sub but then he just dominated me the next two rounds. He caught me in an armbar from an inverted half guard that I never thought he would be able to get. Not only did he get it but both of my arms were trapped so I had to yell tap to keep from getting my arm taken home .

Unfortunately one of our really good purple belts completely and totally destroyed his big toe. I have seen some gross shit in my life but this dudes toe was pointing completely out at 90 degree to his foot and you could tell the only thing holding it on was skin which was bleeding farily badly. Marcio called an ambulance right away and I am hoping he is going to be ok. Truthfully it freaked me out.

13 March 2012

D W/U
Foam Roll

FS up to 135 X 3 X 5
Bench up to 135 X 5 X 4

Leverage Block with weight further out Curlz X 10 X 3

Old 03-14-2012, 07:22 AM   #2733
Derek Simonds

14 March 2012 Wednesday

D W/U

DL 45 X 5,5, 135 X 5, 185 X 5,5, 205 X 5,5
Abz Wheel X 8 X 5
Push Ups From knees and toes X 8 X 5

Face Pulls X 20 X 2
Low ER and IR X 20 X 2 (best range of motion since surgery!!!)

Stronger Grip Mace Swings by a bunch.

The DL is coming along nicely again. I am trying to make sure that I find the right position so that I don't re-injure my rib. It definitely feels light and it should so that is a good thing.

Old 03-14-2012, 07:02 PM   #2734
Derek Simonds

14 March 2012 Wednesday PM

BJJ Open Mat: Grappled hard for 30 minutes

BJJ Fundamentals: Worked a bunch of scissor sweep stuff and played around with a couple of other purple belts during drilling. We really are learning some cool stuff right now.

Old 03-15-2012, 07:29 AM   #2735
Derek Simonds

15 March 2012 Thursday

D W/U

Press up to 95 X 6 X 4, 95 X 10
Chin Up 3 X 6

2LB DB Front, Side and Rear raises X 12 X 3

I should not have found humor in Arien's post about staying up late with his wife. Last night we were up way too late and I think I am still adjusting to the time change. 5:00 came way too early this morning.

My daughter is going to bed earlier each night so that she can get up earlier in the morning. This morning she wanted to get up at 5:45 so she could shower and do some reading for school. I didn't wake her up until 6:00. I know she is emulating us so I support her but I still want her to get as much sleep as possible. As long as she is in bed by 8:30 I will let her get up at 6:00 AM.

Old 03-15-2012, 10:57 AM   #2736
Arien Malec

Sleep == good. I just wish the school system supported late owls like my daughter, but if you get your daughter to be an early to bed early to rise type, so much the better for her future.
Arien Malec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 08:26 AM   #2737
Derek Simonds

15 March 2012 Friday

D W/U

FS up to 95 X 5, 135 X 3 X 4, 185 X 3
Pushups from knees 10 X 5, pushups X 10

A) man my squats felt good
B) that was the first set of regular pushups I have done since surgery
C) I had planned on ab wheeling but my back is irritated from the chins and pulls this week so no dice.

BTW where the hell did this week go???

Old 03-17-2012, 01:19 AM   #2738
Derek Weaver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Simonds View Post
15 March 2012 Friday

D W/U

FS up to 95 X 5, 135 X 3 X 4, 185 X 3
Pushups from knees 10 X 5, pushups X 10

A) man my squats felt good
B) that was the first set of regular pushups I have done since surgery
C) I had planned on ab wheeling but my back is irritated from the chins and pulls this week so no dice.

BTW where the hell did this week go???
Great question. I lost track of what day it was earlier and missed three calls I had booked that day. Not good.

Nice that the shoulders up to doing some pushups.
Derek Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 02:56 PM   #2739
Derek Simonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arien Malec View Post
Sleep == good. I just wish the school system supported late owls like my daughter, but if you get your daughter to be an early to bed early to rise type, so much the better for her future.
In FL they have staggered start times. Elementary School starts at 7:50 and Middle School starts at 8:50. It works out great for us. My daughter still loves getting up early but my middle school son he likes to sleep later. Go figure.

Old 03-26-2012, 03:15 PM   #2740
Derek Simonds

I feel like I have been in a movie the last 10 days. Maybe titled something like, A cruise, a funeral and 2 birthdays... What do you guys think? I didn't post about the cruise because we were heading out of the country. We spent 6 days on a Carnival cruise to Key West and the Bahamas. First time we have ever done anything like that. It was great.

Unfortunately while we were cruising my Grand Mothers husband passed away. We hustled home and did the family thing on Thursday with all the relatives coming in from out of town. I had the privilege of being a pall bearer on Friday for the funeral and my grand mother was extremely happy that we came back for it. Jim was 89 and I have known him basically my entire life. He was a good man and made my grand mother very happy. He fought pneumonia for 3 weeks and finally decided to refuse treatment and my mom was able to get him into hospice. He passed 2 days later with dignity.

After the funeral luncheon we jumped in the truck and headed to the Keys which is where the kids wanted to spend their birthdays. Jr's was Saturday and Laney's is today. I no longer have any single digit kids. Wow. Laney is 10 now.

It was a truly a great 10 days. I have tons of pictures and believe it or not I worked out at least 5 times over this period. I also ate very well and enjoyed every moment I could. It is times like these that I believe I will remember forever.