Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Training Logs

Old 03-27-2012, 08:15 AM   #2741
Derek Simonds

27 March 2012 Tuesday AM

D W/U

DB Press 15 X 10, 20 X 10 X 3, 25 X 10 X 2
BB Rowz X 10 X 6

BB Press X 10 X 3
P/U 1,2,3

Front Side and Rear Raises X 12 with 2 LB DB and 12 with 5 LB DB

I realized as I was eating my daughters birthday cake last night that I have ate ice cream or cake every night since a week ago Saturday except one night. Wow. Time to get back to serious training and diet...

I downloaded a bunch of the pictures from the trip and two stood out. I thought I would share.

This is my wife sitting on the beach in the Bahamas.

Sunset at Morada Bay in the Keys.

Off to a little lunch time BJJ...

http://westvolusiawellness.com/
Derek Simonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 08:57 AM   #2742
Allen Yeh

Happy birthday to the happy 10 year old.

Sorry to hear about the death in your family. Godspeed.
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 01:46 PM   #2743
Derek Simonds

Thanks on both accounts Allen.

27 March 2012 Tuesday Noon

BJJ Competition Class: Well if you want to find out what you are made of take 10 days off and have your first cardio be a competition class. I walked in the door and immediately I was in rotation for a drill. I was on my back starting with closed guard and I had to sweep or submit and my opponent had to pass and we went until that happened. When we were done he would run across the room and do 5 take downs and then run back to me to do again. We did this 5 times. Then it was my turn to do the take downs and run across the room. Well that got the ole heart jump started.

We then worked some 50/50 stuff and I grappled for another 7 minutes and laid on the floor trying not to vomit. Felt good. Good to be alive. So good I am heading back to the academy in 15 minutes for round two...

Old 03-27-2012, 08:11 PM   #2744
Arien Malec

One of the first adaptations to go....
Arien Malec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 07:37 AM   #2745
Derek Simonds

27 March 2012 PM

BJJ Fundamentals: Good class worked some quick spider guard stuff and some takedown drills.

28 March 2012

D W/U

FS 45 X 3 X 2, 95 X 3, 135 X 3, 185 X 3,2
Leverage Block Curlz with weight slid out farther X 12 X 3

So I hit myself in the face with the weight doing the curlz... Split my forehead open. My head bled the rest of the workout. I ended up calling it quits because my head was throbbing.

Heading out to Nashvegas for a couple of days.

Old 03-28-2012, 08:45 AM   #2746
Allen Yeh

Lmao....
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 03:51 AM   #2747
Derek Simonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen Yeh View Post
Lmao....
Yeah it was ridiculous. It was one of those stupid moments where I looked away and then looked back right as my arm passed the sticking spot. Pow! Right in the forehead.

28 March 2012 Wednesday PM

BJJ Advanced: intense heavyweight only training. This was big boy rules... Grappled non stop for 20 minutes doing the takedown pass or sweep rotation. Worked some more on 50/50 escapes. Grappled another 10 minutes. Last roll was with a guy they call Nebraska, he was at least 250 and just stupid strong. I was able to move through a lot of different progressions. I had an armbar I have done a thousand times and the guy shoved my leg and rolled on me in a way that I have never experienced before. My lower leg got caught under him and my knee went POP! That freaked me out. No pain, no swelling but I decided to call it quits.

I have been icing as much as I could since it happened. Lots of pain yesterday but it got better as the day progressed.

29 March 2012

D W/U
DB incline bench up to 50 x 10 x 3
DB Shrugz up to 50 x 10 x 3
DB Rowz up to 50 x 10 x 3
Face Pullz x 10 x 3

Finished the day with a big momma plate from Martins BBQ. I will add the picture of one of my guys plate later. It was amazing.

Old 03-30-2012, 10:24 AM   #2748
Arien Malec

BBQ makes all problems better.
Arien Malec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 02:24 PM   #2749
Derek Simonds

30 March 2012 Friday

D W/U

Another hotel workout. I hit a bunch of stuff including curl and press, db crush, floor press, shrugz, curlz, push ups and pull ups.

Had a full day of meetings and got home about 9:00 last night.

31 March 2012 Saturday

BJJ Advanced: Worked some cool stuff from butterfly. First did a pass where you grab under their one leg to trap their other foot. Also did some choke, sweep, armbar, triangle combos from butterfly. One of my favorite progressions I need to do more often.

Grappled 1 10 minute round and worked half guard for 10 minutes. All in all a good day.

Old 04-02-2012, 05:56 PM   #2750
Derek Simonds

02 April 2012 Monday PM

BJJ Fundamentals: Worked all kinds of fun stuff tonight. Finished with taking the back and three chokes. Grappled a little with Rich and called it a night.

Tomorrow I am off to Detroit for the biggest meeting of my career. Should be fun. I love being in the game.