Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Training Logs

Old 05-01-2012, 07:21 AM   #2791
Derek Simonds

1 May 2012 Tuesday AM

I dragged myself out of bed this morning and I mean literally dragged. Don't know why I am so tired but alas I am.

D W/U
Foam Roll
Clean the garage from the lake trip

Press up to 95 X 5 X 4
Chin Ups X 6,6,6,3,3

Lever block Curlz X all the way out with 2.5 LB's X 10 X 2
95 LB BB Curlz X 4 X 2

BOSU Feet Elevated Push Ups X 10 X 2
Yellow Band Low Pulls X 20 X 2

Lots of stuff being thrown at me right now. All good in the end but boy howdy my plate is full. I might need to back off a little on training. I will see how I am recovering over the next two weeks.

Last night I asked Jr for some carrots for my lunch today. He looked in the fridge and replied "Dad all that is in there are in moms special baggies and I a'int touching them!" Yes contest prep is that intense when your 12 YO is afraid of his mom if he touches her food.

We got a really good chuckle out of it. I don't know if I wrote about it but I found out last week on Friday that Laney got moved up to competition team and will be competing as a level 4 in the fall and that Jr won the pull up competition at the Volusia County Junior Olympics. He did 16 and they are going to present him his blue ribbon at the next awards assembly. Laney got invited to go to the elementary Junior Olympics that is May 12th for the standing long jump. Proud of those kids. Hell I am proud of my wife with what she has done already. Just proud all around!

http://westvolusiawellness.com/
Derek Simonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 12:55 PM   #2792
Arien Malec

Yet another post that's full of win. Congrats all 'round!
Arien Malec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 06:35 PM   #2793
Derek Simonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arien Malec View Post
Yet another post that's full of win. Congrats all 'round!
Thanks Arien. I worry sometimes that what I write seems like bragging. It is what is in my head and how I celebrate the items in my life that I share with others. I hope that makes some sense.

02 May 2012 Tuesday

BJJ Fundamentals: Fundamentals were done all around...

BJJ Competition: It must be ankle lock week. Man my right ankle got worked tonight. Learned a really cool defense to armbar transition that I will be practicing regularly. Grappled 3 rounds and finished with one round with Prof Simpson. Good times. Surprisingly my gas is really good right now.

Old 05-02-2012, 05:57 AM   #2794
Derek Simonds

02 May 2012 Wednesday

D W/U

FS 45 X 5 X 2, 95 X 3, 135 X 3, 185 X 2,1,1
DL 45 X5, 135 X 5, 185 X 5, 225 X 5, 275 X 3,1

35 LB DB's Lunge X 12 X 2
35 LB DB's RDL X 10 X 2
Abz Wheel Rollouts X 15 X 2

I was exhausted last night and changed my alarm to sleep to 06:00. Well I was awake at 04:51 and kind of rolled around til 05:15 and got up and got to it. Good workout so I am glad I did it.

Delaney coached me on my abz wheel work. She stood on my feet because it is harder you see. I love that girl.

I am not seriously trying to lose weight but I am down to 194.00 and that was after 32 oz's of fluid this morning. I imagine this has a direct impact on my BJJ gas tank that I was noting last night.

Tracy is 10 days out from her contest. It is hard not to second guess what we are doing with her diet. The last 5 days pre-contest are designed to peak at exactly 11:00 AM on contest day. The author says you have a 50/50 chance of peaking correctly. I really don't want to be the one that screws this up for her. This is definitely not my area of expertise. So far so good but this is the time where every decision makes a difference in placing. Tracy is not going into this expecting to win, she is doing this to prove what she is capable of for her personal training clients. HOWEVER you guys all know I am competitive... I do not say any of this to her. Hell I am certain I am more worked up over this than she is.

Old 05-04-2012, 06:17 AM   #2795
Derek Simonds

03 May 2012 Thursday AM

Med Ball Throws X 65 X 8 (8 different variations of throws)
Explosive Push Ups unto box X 3 X 8

BB Reverse Grip Rowz X 20

Old 05-04-2012, 11:45 AM   #2796
Derek Simonds

03 May 2012 Thursday PM

BJJ FUNdamentals: Fun stuff with positional drilling from side control.

BJJ NoGi: More ankle lock goodness. Learned another variant to attack the opposite ankle when you miss the first one. By the way my right ankle is sore after all this grinding. Grappled 3 rounds got submitted and did some submitting all in all a good night of training.

04 May 2012 Friday AM

D W/U
Foam Roll

Bench up to 145 X 8 X 4
P/U X 4 X 5
Fat Man Ring Rowz X 10 X 5

DB Floor Press 35 X 15, 50 X 12 X 2
35 DB Curlz X 8 X 3

Wrist Curlz X 5 X 2
Phone book notch tear X Fail got 3/4 of the way done and couldn't finish it.

Old 05-05-2012, 05:49 AM   #2797
Derek Simonds

04 May 2012 Friday PM

BJJ Competition Class: Some fun techniques from side control and 100 Kilo. Than we did positional drilling from side and 100 Kilo. I grappled one round and had to head out to get Laney from gym.

05 May 2012 Saturday AM

D W/U

Explosive Med Balls Throws X 5 X 6 X 20 LB'er (really explosive including big jump on each throw)

Box Jumps X 4 X 2
Push Ups on box X 4 X 2 (both of these I raised from what I had been doing)

DL up to 275 X 3, 315 X 1

1 Minute Plank, 1 minute plank with feet on med ball, 1 minute plank elbows on BOSU, 1 minute plank elbows on bosu and feet on med ball

25 head to ceiling sit ups with 12 lb med ball X 3
Supermans X 25 X 3

Trained with Tracy again today and it was great. I have had some serious employee problems the last three days and it is super frustrating. I feel like I am handcuffed in dealing with several items that I just need off my plate. I am trying to stay focused on the big picture and moving forward but sometimes you get caught up in the minutiae. I had a business associate many years ago who would say I think you are trying to pick fly droppings out of your pepper... and that is kind of what I have been doing.

Tracy is ready for the competition. She was 121.8 this morning and doesn't look sunken in the face at all. Her routines look great and I know she is going to rock it.

Old 05-06-2012, 04:35 AM   #2798
Derek Simonds

05 May 2012 Saturday Noon

BJJ All Levels: Worked more on side control and 100 Kilo. I grappled 3 rounds none o f which I went hard. I did work half guard a lot and of course got passed a lot. I did get 2 kneebars and 1 ankle lock rolling with another purple belt just like we have been working in class. I have got to get more aggressive in half guard bottom.

Old 05-08-2012, 06:14 AM   #2799
Derek Simonds

8 May 2012 Tuesday

D W/U

Press up to 95 X 8 X 4, 115 X 1
P/U 4 X 5

8 LB Front, Side and Rear raises X 10 X 2
45 LB DB Shrugz X 12 X 2

1 Arm Floor Press 50 X 12, 65 X 8 X 2 (Wow!)
1 Arm Concentration Curlz 20 X 12, 25 X 10 X 2

Great day on the water Sunday, Brutal day of travel on Monday in the office and raring to go today!

Old 05-08-2012, 06:28 AM   #2800
Derek Simonds

The kids and I had a really good day on Mosquito Lagoon on Sunday. We fished, had an appetizer at one of our favorite restaurants, and swam for a while. The weather was hot but beautiful. We managed to catch redfish, trout, ladyfish and an unwanted catfish. All in all about the best you could ask for. Here is Jr with an undersize Redfish.