Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Training Logs

Old 06-11-2012, 11:10 AM   #2851
Derek Simonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arien Malec View Post
Nice -- strong work. If you can get there, the approach that I'm trying (going to the position that you can hold and recover from, and working down) should work; also the Ross Enamait approaches (roll to a wall and recover, or use a ramp to get full extension on a slight upslope) should work as well.
Arien those are all great ideas.

http://westvolusiawellness.com/
Derek Simonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 11:28 AM   #2852
Derek Simonds

10 June 2012 Sunday

I cleaned the garage for 4 hours and ended up doing just a ton of different things. The kids were outside playing and fishing and I was just trying to reorganize and get things back under control again. Probably the most interesting thing I did was a pinch grip on the 45 LB Plates while they were on the bar and then did a really wide snatch grip dl. It was interesting and I think I could probably get a BW one of them just for kicks and giggles.

11 June 2012 Monday

D W/U
Foam Roll

Press up to 100 X 8 X 3, 95 X 8
P/U 3 X 6

DB Incline Bench 65 X6, 50 X 12, 40 X 25
DB Rowz 70 X 6, 50 X 12, 40 X 6

Old 06-12-2012, 07:13 AM   #2853
Derek Simonds

11 June 2012 PM

BJJ All Levels: Sit up sweep, Kimura and a bunch of self defense stuff...

12 June 2012

Foam Roll
D W/U
B W/U

Hang PS up to 81 X 1 X 10 on the minute

BS up to 145 X 5 X 3
DL up to 275 X 2

Sand Bag OHS 45 LB's X 5 X 3
Lunges 24 KG KB Low 16 KG KB High X 4 X 2

My freaking left foot is still so krunked up. Anything with flexion of the toes is absolutely nasty...

I have not got acclimated to the kids new schedule for summer yet. I was late for work by 15 minutes this morning. Gonna have to play with this some to get it right I think...

Old 06-12-2012, 06:46 PM   #2854
Arien Malec

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Simonds View Post
I have not got acclimated to the kids new schedule for summer yet. I was late for work by 15 minutes this morning. Gonna have to play with this some to get it right I think...
I go the other way. Get to work super early every morning. Can't wait to get rid of the morning routine.
Arien Malec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 08:06 AM   #2855
Derek Simonds

12 June 2012 Tuesday PM

BJJ Drilling: Warm Up then 3 minutes by 6 rounds all open guard. Sweep or submit and reset. Rotate top to bottom each round. Good drilling and it was super hot and muggy upstairs.

BJJ All Levels: Same as Monday night and some good details.

13 June 2012 Wednesday AM

D W/U
Foam Roll

DB Incline Bench up to 65 LB X 8 X 3 (WOW where did that come from)
Weighted Chin Ups + 25 X 3,3,3 weighted P/U + 25 X 2,3,2

Press 105 X 6, 85 X 12, 55 X 25

BB Curlz 55 LB's X 15 X 2

Wow again where did that come from. I am not sure but I will take it! I wonder if it is because last night when I got home I was pretty smoked from BJJ and right before bed I drank 16 OZ's of water with BCAA's that my wife has been taking. That is the only thing that was different at all. I felt strong this morning that is for sure.

Old 06-15-2012, 07:07 AM   #2856
Derek Simonds

13 June 2012 Wednesday Lunch

BJJ Advanced: Good stuff with two variants of double leg takedown, 3 submissions from KOB; baseball bat with gi, spinning arm bars, clockish kind of choke. I grappled one round with our MMA coach who is a solid 235 and we fought to a draw. First time ever he hasn't got at least one sub on me during a round. Pleased with that.

14 June 2012 Thursday

Hotel Workout. Bands, 8 LB Med Ball and Push Ups. All kinds of different stuff.

15 June 2012 Friday

PC + PJ from the deck! Up to 105 X 1 X 10 on the minute. The weight is light but it felt effortless. I am able to get into the best starting position I can recall right now and that is pleasing.

Press up to 110 X 5, 120 X 3, 130 X F, 125 X 2
FS up to 120 X 5, 170 X 5, 175 X 3
P/U 5 X 4

Lots of travel not the right amount of sleep and stress are a challenge right now. I seem to still be making good progress physically.

I weighed in this morning at 192.00. This is the strongest my upper body has ever been at this weight. I feel good about where I am headed with my lower body but I am not where I need to be. I think I have another 3-5 lb's of fat to lose and then I will decide what weight I want to walk around at.

Old 06-15-2012, 12:09 PM   #2857
Derek Simonds

15 June 2012 Friday Lunch

BJJ Competition Class: Boy howdy. Takedown from grip break by swinging arm up over their head and towards ground blocking back foot and shoulder bump. Also worked some cool techniques to pass half guard. Drilled 2 X 3 minutes just on passing half guard. Finished with one grapple with a friend I haven't trained with in forever.

Old 06-19-2012, 06:19 AM   #2858
Derek Simonds

15 June Friday sometime late in the evening...

That is the goofy lift I was talking about from last Sunday.

Old 06-19-2012, 07:32 AM   #2859
Derek Simonds

16 June 2012 Saturday

Another day of medley work in the garage. Just having fun with one of my friends that is in town visiting. Highlights included:

Working up to 70 X 5 X 3 DB Incline Bench
Up to Chin Up + 50 LB
36" Box Jump X 3
Power Snatch up to 95 X 1 X 10

Then off to BJJ All Levels. Had a great class worked some cool half guard stuff then finished with 2 six minute round matches. I worked on all kinds of stuff and was good and smoked when we left.

Saturday evening was a pirate themed scavenger hunt in our downtown area. Tracy and I dressed up and ended up winning best costume of the night. Now I am not a fool and I know that Tracy won it but it was for a couple so they included me...

19 June 2012 Monday PM

BJJ Drilling: Drilled with Rich for 30 minutes focusing on open guard. 3 on 1 off switch positions.

MMA: I think I mentioned it but I was asked to help with our MMA team by designing some workouts for the conditioning portion of the class. Here was last nights.

40 Seconds on 30 Seconds off X 2 rounds of AMRAP
2 X 10 LB Plate Pinch Full Raises
Ring Rows
Ground and Pound on the dummy
20" Box Jumps
Plank with feet on a swiss ball
25 LB Plate OH Lunges forward and backward

I think the average was right around 80 reps per round. It wasn't overly difficult but I think it hit the main parts we were looking for. Wednesday night is FGmostly B.

Old 06-19-2012, 12:51 PM   #2860
Arien Malec

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Simonds View Post
15 June Friday sometime late in the evening...

That is the goofy lift I was talking about from last Sunday.
That is 10 kinds of awesome. 20, even.
Arien Malec is offline   Reply With Quote