Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Training Logs

Old 05-09-2008, 05:02 AM   #521
Derek Simonds

Thursday May 8

MMA: They really should just call this fight conditioning. We do MMA but I think the whole goal of the class is to see if they can crush us. Started with a ton of Met-Con. We did our normal 5 minute warm-up then moved into the craziness.

After warmup we moved directly into takedown drills. I mentioned in the post about MMA that I wanted to work on my takedowns. Well I got that opportunity. We did singles for 5 minutes, then singles across the gym for 2 minutes then paired up and 1 guy stood by the wall and the other guy sprinted to the other sided touched the wall then sprinted back for the single against the wall.

We then moved into a circuit with 2 guys, you started on the heavy bag hitting it with the guy behind the bag shooting in for singles, you had to defend with a sprawl. This was 1 minute then switch positions. Next You moved to the bag on the floor and sat on it in the mount and punched and threw elbows away all while your partner tried to knock you off, same deal 1 minute then change position. Then we went to sprawl ball. You stood about 15 feet apart and threw a 12 lb med ball at each other, caught it and sprawled. We did that for 2 minutes then rotated back to the heavy bag. Lots of fun.

After all of that we moved into the cage and worked standup against the fence. I got to be the example for our instructor. Nothing like getting your head slammed into the fence to get you ready for the drill.

Last couple of drills were all about working from the guard, throwing punches, controlling the biceps, moving your opponent into the fence, passing the guard at the fence and using side control.

NO GI: Lots of fun. Rich was leading warmups and I told him hey man I am already nice and warm lets not get to silly. Did a bunch of back and forth drills on armbars and sweeps.

This was my first night back grappling since 1/30. It was amazing. My brain was clear and I was able to get several subs in the first match. I did have brain lock in the last match. I ended up on top in north-south and got my legs wrapped around the guys head with one arm out. Fabio saw this and started yelling at me for the triangle. I couldn't figure out how to do it. Then he yells attack the arm because I am now sitting on the dudes head and he can't go anywhere. I just looked at the arm and was like ok now what. Fabio then yelled keylock, uhm ok I threaded my arm through his arm backwards so that didn't work. Well I wasn't going to let such a dominant position go to waste so I slapped a wrist lock on the dude for a submission. Very funny.

I was so, so, so happy with my conditioning. There wasn't a single time that I was out of gas and that absolutely amazed me. I haven't been doing any met-con at all in the last 3 months and when I was working from the guard my legs felt incredible. All I can say is strength is the absolute equator.

http://westvolusiawellness.com/
Derek Simonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 05:05 AM   #522
Derek Simonds

Friday May 9

D W/U
B W/U

S Pull 95 X 3, 135 X 3, 155 X 3 X 3

BS 95 X 7, 145 X 10 , 8, 8, 6
HC 30 DB X 10 X 3

IDBP 45 DB X 10, 8, 8, 6
DBR 45 DB X 10,8, 8, 8

Well my heart rate went right back to where it was last night after the BS's. Everything felt great. I was a lot tired so I broke today into 2 days and will do the other half Saturday before BJJ. No way I was doing DL's this morning.

Old 05-09-2008, 08:14 AM   #523
Gant Grimes
Super Moderator

Awesome return to the mat!
Old 05-10-2008, 06:28 AM   #524
Derek Simonds

Saturday May 10

Yeah Deadlifts!

D W/U
B W/U

PS 61 X 3
S 61 X 3, 81 X 3, 95 X 3 X 2, 105 X 3

DL 135 X 10, 225 X 8 X 2, 225 X 6

P/U 8, 8, 6
Jerk 105 X 5 X 3

I was going to C&J but my legs and arms are pretty toasted so I got a little snatch action in then skipped over to just some light tecnique jerks. P/U's felt amazingly strong. I was going to go for more but my neighbor came over and we started talking about the magic game. No more lifting after that.

BJJ at 11:30.

Old 05-10-2008, 12:20 PM   #525
Derek Simonds

Saturday May 10

BJJ Fundamentals

I took my daughter to class with me today. It is so good to be back in the gym. Our academy is two levels, I throw on my gi pants and rashguard and we go upstairs cause I hear a bunch of the guys I know. I walk in they are training no gi, and everybody says hello to my daughter and then the first guy I shake hands with pulls me down and tries to put me into his guard. I love that kind of camraderie. Rafae tells me how much he has missed training with me and we roll for a couple of minutes.

I head back downstairs for the class get my daughter situated and start class. We worked a takedown from a failed uchi mata (sp) where you straighten your hook leg, drive into them with your chest and grab their opposite leg and take em down.

We worked two guard passes from the open guard and one where you grab both knees do the traditional move and when they try to shrimp away you spin over the top of them into an almost mount. The other one was with the knee up and you reach under your knee and grab their belt, stand up and spin over top of them taking their back.

Both are very dynamic and loads of fun.

After class was over Laney and I grappled. She tapped me out twice with a RNC to cheers from everyone there.

The kids are off to the grandparents and wifey and I are meeting friends for a JSL scavenger hunt. I doubt that we will have too much adult bevarages today.

Think fast thoughts for my sister she is racing the womens only triathlon at Disney tomorrow morning and she has a real shot at winning her age group!

Old 05-12-2008, 05:04 AM   #526
Derek Simonds

Danskin Disney Triathlon Update

Not only did she win her age group she finished 6th overall out of I think 1164 women!

My brother in law was torqued that she didn't get any hardware. They gave out gift certificates instead. He was ready to start building a trophy room for her.

Here are the results from the race.

Her transition times were awesome. I feel good about that as we worked hard on them last weekend. I can't take any credit for her times as she did them.

Old 05-12-2008, 05:07 AM   #527
Derek Simonds

Monday May 10

Man I had a hard time getting out of bed today. I feel like I am fighting something. I haven't felt quite right for several days.

D W/U
B W/U

Muscle Snatch 61 X 3, 71 X 3 X 2, 81 X 3

OHS 85 X 10, 8, 8, 6

BP 145 X 10, 8, 8, 6
BB Row 85 X 10, 8, 8, 6

Muscle Snatch is probably my least favorite Olympic assistance lifts. No problems at the weights I did. BB Row was way too light I need to increase that by at least 15 pounds next time. OHS's are progressing I want to get them to at least 100 for rx'ed reps before the end of this cycle.

Old 05-12-2008, 05:44 AM   #528
Allen Yeh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Simonds View Post
Danskin Disney Triathlon Update

Not only did she win her age group she finished 6th overall out of I think 1200 women!

My brother in law was torqued that she didn't get any hardware. They gave out gift certificates instead. He was ready to start building a trophy room for her.
Sweet! 6/1200 is awesome.
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 04:48 AM   #529
Allen Yeh

How did Mothers day end up going?
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 05:08 AM   #530
Derek Simonds

Monday May 12

BJJ Fundamentals and Advanced 2:30 hours

Worked a lot of different positions, since I didn't write this right away I have forgotten a lot of the details. The highlight for me was trapping an arm in side control and spinning around into an armbar. I use side control extensively in my game and I find myself in this position a ton. It happens mainly when the bottom person does a kind of bear hug with one arm under and one arm over. The best part was I was training with another blue and we were drilling the move and when we started grappling we were about halfway through and he sticks his arm through and realizes when I lock it up that this was the move we were just practicing. We both got a chuckle out of it.

I also grappled with a dude that was out of control. He was smaller than me but strong as an ox and crazy. I ended up with a bruised nose, a huge cut / rub burn in my eyebrow and a big scratch under my eye. it was interesting because he moved so fast and so crazy you just neverr knew where he was going to be.