Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Training Logs

Old 05-19-2008, 06:54 PM   #541
Gant Grimes
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Simonds View Post
Well I have figured out why Leo can weigh 225 Plus and I can only maintain 188 - 195 LB's. Here is Leo's plate at dinner
And he still looks thin. Now I understand why he eats so much. That frame can hold another 15-20 pounds of lean mass.
Old 05-20-2008, 04:25 AM   #542
Derek Simonds

Monday May 19

BJJ 1/2 Fundamentals / Advanced

Man work can just get in the way of fun can't it. Advanced was fun worked double takedown, and an escape from North / South.

During grappling I somehow drew the heavyweight card for the evening. I didn't roll with anyone under 215. First guy claimed he was 225 I still think he is at least 235. Ended up in half guard which for me is usually just a brief pause before they get side or mount. I was able to maintain the position but he attacked my arm with a kimura and I tapped. Restarted and I just went on the attack and played as close to my normal game as possible. I was able to transition to side control, then 100 Kilo but had to transition back to side before I could go for any subs. Next guy was 215 of the leanest muscle in the academy. He played college and was on the practice squad for the raiders. We started leaning up against each other with our heads. That really isn't the right way to go at him.

He bulldoged past me trying to get to side and it ended up with me playing defense as quickly as possible just to avoid getting crushed. I transitioned trough half guard and he got the mount. That was fun. He definitely was the aggressor the whole time.

Last guy was another 235 easy. I was able to get to side control and I used the gi choke from Saturday for a tap. We restarted and somehow I was able to end up in side control again. This time I used his gi for the choke. It was the one where you pass the tail of their gi under the shoulder to your hand then bring it up and around the neck for the choke.

Being crushed and dominated by the first two guys really made me think about what we have talked about. Strength is a huge advantage. I couldn't hold any defensive position with the first two guys to get to a transition as they could just straigthen their leg or arms before I could move. I also realized that besides the instructors I am one of the few guys in the gym my size. We have a lot of bigger guys and a whole bunch that are smaller then me.

I am really really sore this morning in the lower back from trying to upa.

http://westvolusiawellness.com/
Derek Simonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 04:28 AM   #543
Derek Simonds

Tuesday May 20

D W/U
B W/U

PS 45 X 3, 75 X 3, 95 X 3 X 4

OHS 45 X 7, 75 X 5, 95 X 3, 5, 5, 5
Bench 135 X 5, 155 X 5 X 3
DB Row 50 X 5 X 4

The OHS felt light in the legs but my torso was struggling. My lower back really felt the load and I was taking huge breaths trying to stabilize. I decided on discretion before injury and went half volume this morning.

If I feel the same way tomorrow this might become a recovery week.

Old 05-20-2008, 11:29 AM   #544
Leo Soubbotine

Once we grow to the point that I can take off @ 5 pm every day - I'll start training with Team Florida under Danny and my weight will go up to 250-260.
For now while I'm CFing - anything over 225 just feels too heavy as skinny as that makes me look.

Great for squatting and deadlifting till the burpees and muscle ups come around.

240-250 would pretty much be a perfect weight for me though.
Leo Soubbotine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 04:10 AM   #545
Derek Simonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo Soubbotine View Post
240-250 would pretty much be a perfect weight for me though.

At that weight I would be frightened of you

Old 05-21-2008, 04:13 AM   #546
Derek Simonds

Wednesday May 21

D W/U I warmed up for a long time this morning
B W/U

HPC 45 X3, 95 X 3, 135 X 3 X 3, 145 X 3

FS 135 X 5 X 4
BE +15 X 5 X 4

Press 75 X 6 X 4
P/U 4 X 4

Still just really sore. I looked at the calendar and this is going to be a half volume week on the weights. After this week I will have 3 weeks of heavy lifting then I head to the Keys for summer vacation with the family. During that time no lifting at all. The first week of June I am going to start prepping for the Baldwin Park Triathlon. 3 days of Tri and 3 days of strength. Depending on recovery I might have to make it 2 days of strength we will see how it goes.

Old 05-22-2008, 07:04 AM   #547
Derek Simonds

Thursday May 22

BJJ Private with the wizard.

I am really focusing on position then submission without muscling the technique. Brian told me that is the major thing I need to work on is not using my strength (which I find to be lacking but that is another topic) to make the move.

Today I wanted to focus on the armbar from side and 100 Kilo. When their arm is north of your head with your north arm grab your own gi collar block hip with south arm, move to 69 plant your same side foot and lift up on their arm so that you can get in close with the foot, squeeze the knees together and place your other arm on your elbow, lean back and tap.

From grip atama label on arm control, shrimp hips back slightly pull bottom leg back and push shin into armpit with toes up against their back. When you do this you have all your weight on them. outside leg goes long and slides back up against their tricep to prevent escape and you grab your own hip for the elbow lock.

This is a variant of the step over elbow lock I love. From the step over variant I also worked a gi choke using a straight arm and a setup to kimura.
This is absolutely deadly. You go for the choke and try it for a couple of seconds if you aren't getting the tap go back to 100K weight for a couple of seconds and go for it again with the expectation that they will try and use their outside arm to push against your leg as you step over their head. Anticipate this and as soon as they move their arm grab it with your opposite side hand and voila kimura.

I also learned how to do the kimura from the arm on the south side of the head in side control. Really too much information but a great class.

Old 05-23-2008, 06:52 AM   #548
Derek Simonds

Thursday May 22 PM

MMA I am really liking what we are doing with MMA. Loud music lots of conditioning and an assortment of skill work. Out of everything last night I learned a valuable escape from mount where you bump them forward, wrap your arms around the back of their thighs then bump again while bridging to one side for the escape. I liked this tech a lot and am confident that I can apply it in a match. We finished with timed rounds of mount versus escape. Guy on top can hit and submit, guy on bottom can sweep or escape. As soon as either one happens reset and go again. Lots of fun!

NO-GI We worked armbar to omoplata to armbar. Pretty dang good transitions from each. The omoplata to armbar variant I had never seen before, basically when they roll out of the omoplata to escape you grab the trapped wrist and then squeeze your calf to hammy squishing their arm and you bring your other leg up close and squeeze tight, lean back and armbar. I don't really use the omoplata in my game but I could see that this armbar variant could happen from other positions. In grappling I focused on what I learned in my private and was able to catch an armbar on a wrestler in transition because he had his north arm on the north side of my head. And I caught another guy with a kimura because he had his north arm on the south side of my head. Last match of the night was with Rich and he had a lady watching him so I told him hey don't crush me since you have someone watching you tonight. It was a very active roll with multiple multiple transitions and we finished with me in side control unable to get any limbs to attack. All in all just a fantastic night. I was able to apply what I learned and my energy levels were spot on.

If anyone wants any clarity on the north north / north south arm thingy let me know as this was the single best coaching point I have ever recieved on armbar vs kimura.

Old 05-23-2008, 06:55 AM   #549
Derek Simonds

Friday May 23

D W/U
Sea Doo W/U I was working on the Sea-Doo's while warming up.

BS 45 X5 , 95 X 5, 135 X 5 X 4
DL 135 X 5, 185 X 5 X 4

Incline 45 X 8 X 4
P/U 4 X 4

Very tired but a good tired. Not sickly just tired like I trained grappling, MMA and BJJ for over three hours yesterday.

Old 05-23-2008, 11:37 AM   #550
Leo Soubbotine

Have you ever heard/watched Daniel Tosh's comedy?
Leo Soubbotine is offline   Reply With Quote