Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Training Logs

Old 06-30-2008, 08:18 AM   #601
Derek Simonds

Friday June 27th

Some goofy stuff in the garage in the morning. My wife went off to a woman's retreat in Atlanta so I had the pleasure of hanging with the kids all weekend.

Saturday June 28th

BJJ with Fabio working on tournament scoring and strategy. Covered a bunch of little details for my open guard and closed guard and really focused on how to transition and what my strategy needs to be for the points. Never having been in a points tourney I feel like I need to get a game plan.

A good friend of mine called and they were in town at Universal so the kids and I went over there after training and stayed there till the park closed. Man that is a lot of walking. The kids were great the weather held and everybody had a fantastic time.

Sunday June 29th

The kids had so much fun we went back and met my friends at their hotel and hung out by the pool all day. I played three games of beach volleyball and man I can feel it in my calves. We finished the day with dinner at Emeril's and the only thing I have to say is don't expect large portions or a small check. Something about the law of inverse proportions dictates this. Great meal to wrap up a really incredible weekend.

The kids and I rode this ride to get wet. We were successful.

http://westvolusiawellness.com/
Derek Simonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 08:33 AM   #602
Leo Soubbotine

Looking good!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMSeeh6rmUI - Danny on the clean
Leo Soubbotine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 07:44 AM   #603
Allen Yeh

Nice pic.

How far are you from all Disney/Universal/Sea World? I ask because right now it looks like Hunter is going to be granted a wish from Make-A-Wish. He asked for a trip to Disney, at the initial visit the volunteers told us that it would be for a week long trip with passes to all the parks. We'd be staying at Give Kids the World or something like that. I'm not sure on the timeframe as it is somewhat dependent on his upcoming visit to the Chiari Institute in a few weeks. They will do some scans and recommend surgery or not at this time.

I'd love to meet up at least once at one of those parks if you and the family are availible when we come down.
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 08:35 AM   #604
Derek Simonds

It is exactly one hour from my house to the parks. The kids and I have at least one more day of park hopper passes for Disney left this year. Just let me know when you will be here and I will schedule the time off.

If you can sneak off one night we can get a session in at Leo's place. They are only about 30 minutes from the parks. It would be a good time.

Of course I am as sore after two days at the parks as I am from most of my workouts.

Old 07-01-2008, 08:38 AM   #605
Derek Simonds

Monday June 30

Private with Fabio: Continued on the techniques we were working last time. I am having great success with the open guard stuff and am learning a different style game that I think will work with my body type. We ended the session with 15 minutes of grappling and he said I am ready for the tourney. Hopefully he is sincere.

Fundamentals: Worked some more open guard stuff and ran through a ton of drills. I was toast so headed home. I think I am getting close to overtraining / underrecovering. My heart rate took a while to get back to normal even after I got in bed last night. Two more days of hard training then I am off the mat for a week before the tourney. I need it as I have so many little bumps, bruises and sore spots.

Old 07-01-2008, 11:10 AM   #606
Derek Simonds

Tuesday July 1 (Where has the year gone?)

Competition Class: All positional drills. I definitely am not a good half guard player that is what I found out today. I pushed as hard as I could. Only grappled once and had to get back to work. I will be back after work for MMA and NoGi.

Old 07-01-2008, 12:10 PM   #607
Allen Yeh

I'll let you know when we figure out the schedule. Not sure about the training thing as I think my wife might be mad if I left the family to go workout as it is Hunter's wish week. I'll run it by her when it gets closer.
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 12:32 PM   #608
Derek Simonds

Don't cross the wife whatever you do and make the week count for Hunter. I just was throwing it out there.

Old 07-01-2008, 07:47 PM   #609
Derek Simonds

Tuesday July 1

MMA: Fabio was on fire tonight we really pushed the gas the entire class. Worked a single leg takedown to waist control to takedown to side control where you grab their arm with your under hook and trap to the side of their head. This sets up all kinds of wickedness including a nice kimura and transition to mount if they defend. We ended with a sprawl brawl circle where the guy in the middle throws a 12 lb med ball to a someone in the circle then sprawls the person throws it back you catch and then sprawl again. So it ends up being two sprawls for every person. There was 12 people there and I did the whole circle in under 30 seconds. I was hustling. We got to the end and then Fabio yells everybody sprawls every time. Nice finish.

No Gi: Worked the same technique from the ground and built on it from above. In grappling the highlight of the night was I triangled one guy three times in 6 minutes. I was trying to play from the guard and he just kept giving me the triangle. I did get armbarred trying an open guard sweep and I lost his waist and slipped right into a nice armbar. I felt kind of dumb for that one but I was really trying to play some different positions so if I get out of position at the tourney I will be ok. Grappled 4 different 6 minute matches and still felt pretty good but my legs were toast. It is amazing what is required as far as static strength to maintain a good closed guard. Maybe that is why I don't play it that often I am too lazy.

One more day of BJJ maybe two and that is it before the tourney. I hope I am ready.

In the FWIW department i am trying to figure out how to ice my entire body at the same time. Holy Cow I am banged up. Already did both knees and am moving on to shoulders now.

Old 07-01-2008, 09:50 PM   #610
Gant Grimes
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Simonds View Post
Tuesday July 1

MMA: Fabio was on fire tonight we really pushed the gas the entire class. Worked a single leg takedown to waist control to takedown to side control where you grab their arm with your under hook and trap to the side of their head. This sets up all kinds of wickedness including a nice kimura and transition to mount if they defend. We ended with a sprawl brawl circle where the guy in the middle throws a 12 lb med ball to a someone in the circle then sprawls the person throws it back you catch and then sprawl again. So it ends up being two sprawls for every person. There was 12 people there and I did the whole circle in under 30 seconds. I was hustling. We got to the end and then Fabio yells everybody sprawls every time. Nice finish.

No Gi: Worked the same technique from the ground and built on it from above. In grappling the highlight of the night was I triangled one guy three times in 6 minutes. I was trying to play from the guard and he just kept giving me the triangle. I did get armbarred trying an open guard sweep and I lost his waist and slipped right into a nice armbar. I felt kind of dumb for that one but I was really trying to play some different positions so if I get out of position at the tourney I will be ok. Grappled 4 different 6 minute matches and still felt pretty good but my legs were toast. It is amazing what is required as far as static strength to maintain a good closed guard. Maybe that is why I don't play it that often I am too lazy.

One more day of BJJ maybe two and that is it before the tourney. I hope I am ready.

In the FWIW department i am trying to figure out how to ice my entire body at the same time. Holy Cow I am banged up. Already did both knees and am moving on to shoulders now.
Looks like you're ramping it up. Good luck!