Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Training Logs

Old 07-02-2008, 06:43 AM   #611
Allen Yeh

So are we going to get to see video of this tourney and you getting your ass...I mean winning?
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 12:12 PM   #612
Derek Simonds

Uhm what video, what tourney. My friends from Atlanta made me promise that even if I lost in the first round I would upload the video.

It's weird for me, everything I have ever done I have always gone in with some sort of expectation or thought on how I would do. Here I truly have no idea. So with that being said I have fallen back on what I would do when I was competing in triathlons. I set three levels of performance in a good, better best scenario so that I don't have unrealistic expectations or one loss ruins my experience at the tourney. Without further ado here are my current visions.

Good: I show up, meet a lot of people, compete in something that is new for me and have a great time without getting injured.

Better: I show up, compete well and end up winning some matches in gi or no gi divisions.

Best: I make it to the medals round in either gi or no gi.

Best Day Ever: I win a medal!

Any way it goes down there will be video.

http://westvolusiawellness.com/
Derek Simonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 04:16 PM   #613
Leo Soubbotine

What time is the tournament (is there a link?)?
Leo Soubbotine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 08:18 PM   #614
Derek Simonds

www.floridabjj.org and click on events then the more information link. Leo I meant to come by your place today but got tied up in a meeting in Daytona and promptly forgot. I have all the tools in the car and will stop in tomorrow morning on the way to work.

July 2 Wednesday

BJJ Fundamentals: Worked same techniques from Monday

BJJ Advanced: Worked a great side control to knee on belly to baseball choke. If you can't get the choke from knee on belly rotate around and pin your shoulder to their chest to finish.

I wanted to leave it all on the mat tonight since this was it for me up to the tourney. I grappled with my nemesis Zach who dominated me position wise but never got a sub. I still would have lost the match on points though. I grappled with Rich and we had a lot of really good positional changes sweeps and escapes no subs and it would have been really close on points but I think I would have lost that one also. Next guy was a 205 lb'er white belt and I pushed it hard with an ezekiel choke from mount, an armbar from transition, a gi choke from guard (HOLY SHIZNITTY FIRST TIME EVER!!!!!) and a triangle to finish it up. He got perturbed after the third sub and tackled me. I thought ok it is all over. Nope Fabio says one more round boys. He points at me and one of the black belts and says work together. Donald then proceeded to continue my schooling this evening by making me play defense the entire freaking time. I had him in my closed guard for a minute before he broke it and I switched to open which didn't work so well. Uhm hello side control. But it gave me more time to practice my escapes.

When we got done Fabio grabbed me and told me that each round tonight was 7 minutes. So 4 rounds at 7 minutes per. What a way to finish.

All I have to say is hello vacation!

Old 07-03-2008, 07:40 AM   #615
Derek Simonds

Can you say poster boy for OVERTRAINING!

I am in so much pain this morning it is ridiculous. It took me 5 minutes to get out of the car this morning.

Old 07-10-2008, 06:19 AM   #616
Allen Yeh

I think I hurt my lower back today trying one of the CF Games WOD's.

Great.
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 06:22 AM   #617
Derek Simonds

Well vacation is rapidly wrapping up. We were on the way back from the keys yesterday when the radiator decided to spring multiple leaks. That kind of sucks when you are towing a boat and it is 90 plus degrees.

We were planning on spending the night in Ft Lauderdale anyway, just wasn't planning on another $600 for a radiator. Oh well.

I spent most of my vacation in the water with the kids. We did a ton of snorkeling and they are getting pretty good at it. I ate two much and drank way too much so I am not exactly where I need to be for weight. I don't think I will have a problem making weight just need to be careful for the next 48 hours.

I got two really good workouts in at Founders Park in Islamorada FL. They had a fantastic fitness trail with a ton of plyo stuff around a great park. On Monday and Wednesday I ran 3 plus miles and did all the different fitness stations.

Definitely not a normal workout for me but really good fun.

On Tuesday I was doing pushups and squats at the house we were at and one of the kids wanted to know if I could do pushups with him on my back. He was 70 lb's and I racked out 10 with him on my back. So that started it for all the kids and I ended up doing squats and pushups with them on my back. The last set I had to put my wife on my back and show them I could do pushups with her. It was really funny. And yes I did the pushup with my wife on my back. 1 is all I did but it was all that was needed.

Old 07-10-2008, 06:41 AM   #618
sarena kopciel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Simonds View Post

On Tuesday I was doing pushups and squats at the house we were at and one of the kids wanted to know if I could do pushups with him on my back. He was 70 lb's and I racked out 10 with him on my back. So that started it for all the kids and I ended up doing squats and pushups with them on my back. The last set I had to put my wife on my back and show them I could do pushups with her. It was really funny. And yes I did the pushup with my wife on my back. 1 is all I did but it was all that was needed.

Sorry about the xtra money spent on the radiator but hey life does throw us curvebal;ls.

Oh and where's the pic of wife pushups? Would love to see that one!
Did she give a massage while you were at it too?
sarena kopciel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 05:17 PM   #619
Derek Simonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarena kopciel View Post
Sorry about the xtra money spent on the radiator but hey life does throw us curvebal;ls.

Oh and where's the pic of wife pushups? Would love to see that one!
Did she give a massage while you were at it too?
Yep life is full of curveballs. The good news is nothing is worse the wear other than the wallet.

I did get a massage, it lasted for two hours and was phenomenal.

Old 07-12-2008, 05:43 PM   #620
Derek Simonds

Well Allen ask and ye shall receive. Short version, I won the Master's Blue Belt Division. It isn't the most exciting match ever but it is mine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CkJvSjyFrqc

Thanks to a lot of people (specifically my BJJ coaches Brian and Fabio and my inspiration on the met-con and diet's Leo and Monique) I was able to win the masters blue belt division. I made my weight with a pound to spare. I ended up winning on points. Here is a breakdown.

I didn't expect it but my opponent pulled guard. I have been training on takedowns and planned on going for a takedown but he pulled guard quickly.

Once I was in his guard I started working for the pass. He went for a gi choke but I defended and continued working for the pass.

I got the pass we went to a scramble and I trapped his leg to keep from him getting away from me. He pulled into half guard and I worked from there into the mount.

Once in the mount I got into a high mount position and started attacking. I was having a hard time with the attacks because he was defending by keeping his arms by his neck the whole time. He was super strong and had huge arms and I couldn't move them at all. Someone in my corner was yelling to go to the armbar and I faked going for the keylock trying to get him to move away from the safe position.

He ended up rolling me with about 90 seconds left in the match. When he rolled me I cross grabbed a collar and started going hard after the gi choke. The first attempt at the choke was more stall then real submission attempt. The second time I sunk it in deep and you can see in the video how deep I got it.

After he posted his legs and was trying to get out of it I started turning up the heat because I knew this was the last match and we were down to the final few seconds. I thought I had him as his legs kind of gave out and his eyes were all screwed shut and then they called time.

And that would be the end of the match. I won 7 points and 2 advantages to nothing.

Wow! What an experience.