Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Training Logs

Old 07-13-2008, 05:39 AM   #621
Leo Soubbotine

Congratulations again!
Leo Soubbotine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 07:27 AM   #622
Allen Yeh

Nice! Congrats!
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 03:56 AM   #623
Derek Simonds

Monday July 14

D W/U

Plate Halo's 3 X 12 each way
Wall Slides 3 X 15

Squat 45 LB's X 5, 65 LB's X 5, 95 LB's X 5 X 3
DB Press 15LB's 12 X 3

5 Rounds for time

3 P/U's
5 16 KG KB Snatch each arm
10 Squats to Everlast Medicine Ball

5:13

I am going to slowly ease back into lifting this week. Good first workout.

http://westvolusiawellness.com/
Derek Simonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 03:08 PM   #624
Gant Grimes
Super Moderator

Nice job and congrats! Solid performance in the blue belt division; pretty damn good.

I thought you were technically better the entire match. He looks like the kinda guy that latches on early, wears out an opponent and goes for a cheap arm bar. I thought you were going to turn him early and end the match right there.

He didn't post well enough to get an arm bar on you. Once you slipped in for an X-choke, it was church. Well done, my friend.
Old 07-14-2008, 07:36 PM   #625
Derek Simonds

Thanks Gant. Do you have any video from your tourney I would love to see some of your throws.

Monday July 14 PM

BJJ Fundamentals: Worked with a college kid that was there on a trial. Normal stuff than mount escape and armbar from the mount. Good stuff.

BJJ Advanced: Spider guard, spider guard oh yeah. worked several different techniques from spider. First roll went right to spider and swept the guy with the sweep we just drilled. That is always fun. Worked a gi choke and then caught an armbar from the guard in the classic 5 steps. Rolled with another guy and had pretty much an exact replay of my match except he was very active with his arms and I caught an easy armbar while my foot was still in half guard. Last roll was with my buddy Tete, we worked some different positions and I really moved with what he was giving me and low and behold if his hand just didn't flop right above my chest and lay there screaming armbar. Once again I did the classic 5 step armbar. I had to do it. Solid class and I didn't push the gas too hard. Hard but not over the top. Fabio had a surprise for me when we lined up he called me up front and Marcio gave me my first stripe for my blue belt. Really felt good.

Nice and tired now and going to bed. 9 hours of sleep here I come.

Old 07-15-2008, 04:22 AM   #626
Mark Bennett

Nice job Derek, congrats! Looking really sharp.
Old 07-16-2008, 04:50 AM   #627
Derek Simonds

Wednesday July 16

D W/U I am really adding in as many pieces as I can remember each morning from Dr. G. Seems to be going well.

Wall slides 3 X 15
Plate Halos 10 LB Bumper 3 X 12 each way
Plate Raises to OH 10 LB Bumper 3 X 10

DL 45 X 5, 95 X 5, 135 X 5 X 3
DB Curl 15 LB DB 15 X 3

5 Rounds for time of
1:30 Row
5 Clapping Push Ups
3 Pull Ups

Forgot to start the clock but I know it took more than 7:30. Ended up with 1950 M's on the row. I was pushing for 2000 but fell short. Aargh. That was a smoker.

Old 07-17-2008, 04:23 AM   #628
Derek Simonds

Thursday July 17

D W/U
B W/U
Shoulder Dislocates

Wall Slides 2 X 15
Plate Halos 10 LB Bumper 2 X 12 Each Way
Plate Raises 10 LB Bumper 2 X 6
Truck Drivers 10 LB Bumper 6 Each Way, 12 Each Way

Snatch 45 X 3, 61 X 3 X 2, 71 X 3, 81 X 3

C&J 61 X 3, 81 X 3, 91 X 3 X 2

DB Incline Bench 25 X 12, 30 X 12 X 3
Shrug 40 X 12 X 3

My son got up early and came down and hung out with me most of the workout, so I spent more time talking then normal. More then normal means any I guess since I traditionally work out by myself. So I lost my since of pacing BUT thats ok, it was absolutely fantastic just to have him there with me with no other distractions and listen to all the things he had to tell me. I really try to make the garage a safe place to talk about anything and I pray that it continues forever.

Really good morning for me. And I forgot to mention that the O/Lifts while light felt really good.

Old 07-18-2008, 07:53 AM   #629
Derek Simonds

Thursday July 17

MMA: Fun class as always. Probably more fun as I really appreciate not getting punched in the face even more afterwards. Worked a lot from the clinch, clinch to bear hug, clinch to escape with elbows, punches and kick, clinch to double elbow lock and takedown. Just all kinds of variants. Pretty funny how much you use your abs in the clinch. Mine are quite sore this morning.

Finished with our usual sprawl ball. I am going to do 50 burpees for time tomorrow and I got to believe that it will be faster based on how many sprawls I have been doing lately.

Skipped No Gi and went home and hung with the family. Tracy picked up a honey baked ham and made from scratch mac and cheese. Oh My! Yes I did have two servings of mac and cheese. It was gooey, it was glorious it was a true treat.

Old 07-19-2008, 06:50 AM   #630
Derek Simonds

Saturday July 19

From Coach Rut. Some Terrible Thirties.

For time:
400M Run
30 Pull-ups
30 Box Jumps, 20 inches
30 DB swings, (55lbs/35lbs)
30 Push-ups
30 Barbell Hang Power cleans, (65 lbs/35lbs)
30 Burpees
30 Wall-ball shots (20lbs/12lbs)
30 Sit-ups
400M Run

24:43 Probably the hardest I have worked for that length of time in forever. I thought I could get under 20:00 but I got behind on the swings then the burpees and HPC's killed me. I spent the majority of time on the burpees and I was so far in the hole metabolically that the HPC's just seemed to take forever. I did sets of 10 but was gasping for air. The last run was slightly faster than a jog.

The hand prints are when I finally tried to get up and I was still soaked with sweat. NICE......