Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Training Logs

Old 05-12-2007, 05:12 AM   #71
Derek Simonds

Day 60 Saturday

6:15 No shotgun
7:50 Some Fruit
8:30 2 scoops protein, water
10:30 tri-o-plex bar
12:30 chicken wings, some fries
2:00 - 3:45 Nap yeah!
4:00 snack of some sort
6:30 salmon, salad, sweet potato

Workout Testing Day

All in LB's

Snatch 105 easily, missed twice on 115, dropped down and missed once on 110. The 110 I had but got stuck at the bottom like I did last week on the 105.

Clean / Jerk 155 nailed it moved up to 160 and cleaned it fairly easily but totally missed the jerk. This was spectacular as I started to lose the weight backwards and wasn't prepared for that. No blood no foul. I tried it again without getting the jerk again. The last time I kept the weight where it should be just couldn't get my arms fully extended.

Front Squat 190 with a little strain but couldn't get 195 for some reason, the weight felt good going down just couldn't get moving out of the hole.

http://westvolusiawellness.com/
Derek Simonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 06:46 AM   #72
Derek Simonds

Changing to new numbering system date and days of program

May 13 2007 Sun Day 1 Derek's Program

I got up real early and couldn't sleep, wasn't sure why and I realized that my sister was in a triathlon at Walt Disney and I was thinking about her.

5:30 No Shotgun
8:15 3-4 eggs scrambled with turkey and cheese, fruit
10:00 2 scoops protein, water
12:00 tri-o-plex bar
2:00 1/4 spicy hot dog, 2 oz jerky, bag of mixed nuts
7:00 lots of chicken, small amount of fettuccine alfredo, salad w/ apple cider vinegar.

Swim Workout

Warmup 4 X 50 Breast on the 1:30
4 X 50 on the 1's
2 X 100 on the 2's
1 X 100 on the 2
1 X 50 on the 1
1 X 50 on the 1 last lap went 40 seconds for 50

Total time around 20 minutes. Felt really good. Never really got uncomfortable aerobically. Definitely need to get my form down.

Old 05-14-2007, 09:23 AM   #73
Derek Simonds

May 14 2007 M Day 2 Derek's Program

5:45 No Shotgun
6:15 2 scoops protein, water
7:00 2 eggs, kashi go lean, activa yogurt
9:15 banana, triple threat power bar
11:00 chicken breast
12:30 trop chop chicken, rice, black beans
2:30 chicken breast
4:00 ate something not sure what
6:00 bag of ranch peanuts, started drinking 32 oz gatorade
9:00 16 oz lo-fat chocolate milk, 2 oz beef jerky, cliff bar
10:00 peanut butter, 2 slices sugar free wheat bread

Based on some feedback from Don, Allen and several other respondents to a question about a program for my wife I have come up with a program for myself. This program will take me through my vacation in the Keys in June and when I come back I am going to attack the Big 21 program from Dan John.

I am establishing weights on all of these lifts as I go.

BS 135 lb's 5X5
Press 80 lb's 5X5
Sn Pull, RDL 80 lb's 5X3
Sn Grip Shrug 80 lb's 4X12
Bench 135 5X5
P/U's 5X4

Skill Work
Ring Support 10, 15, 15 seconds with perfect form working on time

Abs
S/U 17, 17, 17
B/E 10, 10, 10
KTE 7, 7, 7

Took a little less than 1 hour from start to finish. Weights will increase each time some of the weights need to go up pretty significantly.

BJJ
Fundamental class worked on sweeps from the open gaurd, learned a new variation where you pull your knee behind their knee as the third option and lift with your knee and roll them over. I was very succesful with this and need to practice it. Also worked taking the back from the turtle and details on rear naked chokes.

Advanced class warmup was 15 minutes of rolling with no submissions. I loved it. We worked a technique which I have forgotten and got to rolling. Last night the first 2 rolls were with younger guys that are super strong. The first guy was a HS wrestler and weighs 205. He was a maniac. I enjoyed it and finished him with a kimura from side control. The next guy I have rolled with in the past and he is also super strong. With both guys when working side control they were either posting on my chest or crossfacing to keep me from getting in tight the way I like. I finished the second guy with a gi choke. Than I got to roll with 1 of the bb's I rolled with him 2 weeks ago. We went hard, he was tired from muay thai and was pushing his gas. I learned a cool move when someone postures in your gaurd, you pull out on their elbows and pull them in with your hip flexors and knees. It totally works and I used it in my next match. Which was with one of the older guys who I have rolled with several times, he has good technique but he always leaves his neck open, so when I roll with him I try and finish using anything besides a choke. Last night seemed to be kimura night so that is what I used in the end. Great night and I went super hard the whole time.

Old 05-15-2007, 05:48 AM   #74
Derek Simonds

May 15 2007 T Day 3 Derek's Program

6:20 2 scoops protein, water
7:15 kashi go lean, activa yogurt
9:30 apple, tri-o-plex bar
12:30 ultimate sub on 1/2 wheat with lots of veggies
2:30 cottage cheese, banana

AM Workout

OHS and OH Shrug were set up with Rack jerk from behind neck, for a total of 8 rack jerks with 65 lb's

OHS 65 lb's 5X5
Clean Pull, RDL 125 lb's (3 Each) 5X3
1 Arm Sotts Press 25 lb db's 5X5
OH Shrug 65 lb's 4X10
Ring Dips 7, 7, 7, 7
BB Row 75 lb's 4X7

Static Abs in seconds
Ring L Sits 10, 10, 10
Plank on elbows 20, 20, 30
Hollow Hold 20, 20, 30

Skill Work
Pistols 3 X 2 per leg

Just under 1 hour start to finish. Arms away from side on l sits, elbows not on straps during dips.

PM Workout
1 mile at 7:30 pace for warm up

10 X 100 Intervals 1 minute rest
Fastest 15:44 slowest 17:18 I was pleased with how fast I ran. I also hurt myself in the second interval.

Old 05-17-2007, 04:21 AM   #75
Derek Simonds

May 16 2007 W Day 4 Derek's Program

6:15 No Shotgun
7:15 Kashi Go Lean, Activa light yogurt
9:00 turkey burger, broccoli
11:00 apple
12:30 2 scoops protein, 16 oz lo fat milk, flaxseed oil, peanut butter
2:00 chicken breast, avocado
5:00 almonds, mixed nuts, started drinking 32 oz gatorade
8:45 16 oz lo fat chocolate milk, pure protein

Workout Rest Day
I need to move this so that I have one full day of rest where I am doing nothing.

BJJ

GI fundamentals focused on turtle, taking the back and rear naked choke.

Advanced we did a sweep and arm bar from closed gaurd where you move your feet to hips, push away while pulling on both gi sleeves. Once you have created distance put top leg through arms and bottom leg opposite kind of like spider. Pull towards you pivot 90 degrees on hip and scissor legs. Don't let go of arms. opponent falls right into armbar.

Grappling, we really have a lot of strong guys at our academy. It seems that I am the kimura king for right now used it twice, I get frustrated when I am in side control and the only option I seem to have is the kimura. Worked to mount and got an armbar, worked side control and got an armbar where the guy straightened his arm out to the side. Rolled with a blue who got his 2nd stripe to a draw. The guy was amazingly strong. I used the elbow pull hip flexor movement Donald showed me last week and it worked great against a guy that is 6' 5" and 250. If it will work on him I can use it against anyone.

Old 05-17-2007, 04:25 AM   #76
Derek Simonds

May 17 2007 H Day 5 Derek's Program

5:15 No Shotgun
6:30 2 scoops protein, water
7:00 4 eggs scrambled
8:30 apple, banana, zone bar
12:30 garlic thai chicken hot, vegetables, very small amount of rice

Workout

FS 115 lb's 5X5
Scap P/U 5X12
Rack Jerk Front 115 lb's 5X2
Weighted Pull 25 lb's 5X2 2 pull, 3 chin
Wrist Curl 10 lb's 1F / 1B 5X1
TGU 20 lb's both sides 5X3
Incline 45 lb db's 5X7
Shrug 45 lb db's 5X10

4 X 200 interval runs to shake out the quads man are they sore

Old 05-18-2007, 06:37 PM   #77
Derek Simonds

May 18 2007 F Day 6 Derek's Program

6:30 sugar free wheat bread and peanut butter
7:30 apple and protein cliff bar
9:15 16 oz lo fat chocolate milk, cliff bar
11:00 myoplex protein shake
12:45 3 slices of loaded pizza
3:00 chicken breast
6:00 started drinking 32 oz gatorade
8:00 16 oz lo fat chocolate milk, 2 oz beef jerky, 2 oz peanuts

Workout

I think I bit off more than I can chew today.
Snatch (w/new pendlay bar!!!!!)

45X3
55X3
65X3
65X3
75X3

I had a bit of an issue getting my balance right with my new lifting shoes which are blue suede thanks for asking.

Clean

75X3
95X3
105X3
115X3
115X3

Deadlift
185X5X5

Totally ran out of time this morning.

AM BJJ Private
1) Cleaned up my triangle: Make sure that you cant see either shoulder. get the first leg in tight and grab with opposite hand. Shift hips 90 degrees lock in triangle apply pressure
2) worked choke from side control moving to knee on belly. grab lapel feed to hand under neck pull up jump to knee on belly let them roll slide knee down chest to ground and grab same lapel with other hand and move to choke.
3) pushed arm across face grab from under the head pull and go for wrist lock. if no lock start to roll them, slide down and pull them across to take their back.
4) Clock choke, open lapel reach across grab deep and reach up and grab other lapel. With one hand pull lapel straight down and the other move like hands of a clock

PM Grappling fundamental class with grappling
Started with 15 minutes warmup rolling no subs. My instructor rolled with me the entire time working different positions. Worked 1 sub triangle and arm lock from guard very good, very very good. Grab gi sleeve pop arm off encircle their arm grab their lapel, grab other bicep and shove on top of your shin by moving foot to hip. Creat space when ready throw arm backwards and bring leg on top of shoulder. Get triangle, adjust position, 90 degrees with body going in same direction as leg is pointed. Tighten up triangle pull down on head or lock your arm to lapel and finish with a side arm bar. Ended up last roll of the night with a lot higher ranked guy who is in phenomenal shape and he came after me like a mad man, so I figure its game on to stay alive. We went hard for 6 minutes. I think it was the hardest I have ever gone in class. No sub tons of reversals if it was a point match there would have been plenty of points to go around. The whole class stopped grappling and watched our match which was pretty cool. We got done and everybody was like yeah great roll.

Old 05-21-2007, 12:43 PM   #78
Derek Simonds

May 19 2007 Sa Day 7 Derek's Program

Rest day spent the entire day doing stuff with the kids. Really cool stuff.

Old 05-21-2007, 12:49 PM   #79
Derek Simonds

May 20 2007 Su Day 7 Derek's Program

6:24 Dog woke up and I had to let her out. No Shotgun
7:30 2 scoops protein, water
9:55 cinammin roll
11:00 2 scoops protein, 12 oz lo-fat milk
1:30 2 hamburgers, ceasar salad
3:30 series of snacks
8:30 hamburger, 2 oz beef jerky, seeds, nuts and raisins

Workout
Intense hill intervals with my sister. Rode out 25 minutes with the wind, turned around and fought the wind all the way home. Total 17.5 miles 1:03 high hear rate of 168 and 973 calories burned.

Old 05-21-2007, 04:57 PM   #80
Derek Simonds

May 21 2007 M Day 8 Derek's Program

5:30 2 scoops protein, water
6:00 apple, banana
9:30 pure protein, peanuts
10:30 No Shotgun
1:00 6 oz turkey, black beans, some fries
5:00 apple, 1/2 cliff bar
8:00 turkey tacos, black beans, small amount of rice

Workout PM

BS 140 lb's 5X5
Press 85 lb's 5X5
Sn Pull, RDL 85 lb's 5X3
Sn Grip Shrug 80 lb's 5X10
Bench 140 5X5
P/U's 5, 4X4

I squatted with my new lifting shoes and I am not comfortable with them yet. I felt like I was using more quads and I really focused on shooting my a$$ up and initiating the lift with my hips.

Skill Work
Ring Support 15, 15, 15, 15 seconds with perfect form working on time