Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Training Logs

Old 11-25-2008, 04:04 AM   #861
Allen Yeh

High bar or low bar? Congrats on the PR. This is supposed to be a low intensity week for me so good timing with Thanksgiving.
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 05:13 AM   #862
Derek Simonds

I don't know how to quantify it. I think it is a mid bar. There is a video on my youtube site of Saturdays workout. Take a look and tell me what you think. Thanks for the congrats it has been a long time coming.

Tuesday November 25

Two dog patrol. 1 mile fast walk it is still cold here in sunny central FL. My core is super sore today. I was really locking it down tight when I was squatting and I think that is what I am feeling today. MMA and No Gi tonight. Feeling pretty darn good right now.

http://westvolusiawellness.com/
Derek Simonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 05:18 AM   #863
Allen Yeh

I can't tell looking at the video, the video cuts off the bottom of your squat. heh.
Old 11-25-2008, 01:11 PM   #864
Allen Yeh

It looks like I'll only be hitting up 2 sessions this week as well, we just made the decision to drive off early in the AM tomorrow. If I'm feeling really motivated...maybe an athome workout but probably not. Yay for driving on the Wednesday before Thanksgiving!
Old 11-25-2008, 06:55 PM   #865
Derek Simonds

Tuesday November 25

MMA Just flat ass out of control tonight. I warmed the gang up then Giogo took over. It was all circuit style 3 to 5 minutes of pushing the gas on different stations then 1 minute of rest. My favorite is the bungy harness. I have actually got quite good at shooting for takedowns with the harness on. It will fry you quick but loads of fun.

Finished with 2 rounds of grappling with full contact to the body. First round was with a newer guy and I got three submissions in the round. Big, strong guy just not quite sure where to apply his strength yet. Second round was with my buddy Rafeal. Unfortunately on a guard pass I hurt his knee. He recovered and we went at it again. When we restarted he went for a single I moved to sprawl control. Once there I worked to the side took his backs with no hooks and he tried to spin out and I just sat back with my hooks and sunk a RNC. Great finish.

Decided to call it a night and headed home for some recovery.

Old 11-25-2008, 06:56 PM   #866
Derek Simonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen Yeh View Post
It looks like I'll only be hitting up 2 sessions this week as well, we just made the decision to drive off early in the AM tomorrow. If I'm feeling really motivated...maybe an athome workout but probably not. Yay for driving on the Wednesday before Thanksgiving!
Be safe traveling. I will shoot some more video of my squats on Saturday to get a more complete shot.

Old 11-26-2008, 05:40 AM   #867
Derek Simonds

Wednesday November 26

Jump Rope 2 X 100
D W/U
EC Foam Rolling
B W/U

PC 45 X 3, 61 X 3, 95 X 3, 135 X 3 X 2, 145 X 3 X 2, 155 X 1 (and it was freaking ugly), 135 X 3

Press + DJ Lockout 45 X 5, 8 X 5, 105 X 5 X 3 (PR!!!) this was the PR I have been waiting on. It was the hardest PR yet for me.

Zercher 95 X 5, 135 X 5, 165 X 5, 170 X 5 X 2 switched grip each set

2 Hand plate pinch 25's X 10 seconds, 35's X 10 seconds X 2, 45's X 10 seconds (plate pinch felt really good today)

Circuit X 3
55 LB Sandbag situps X 15 X 3
95 LB BB Crush

Circuit X 3
B/E's X 10
70 LB Wrist Curl X 10
31 LB Wrist Extension X 10

Really good workout today. Everything felt great except the press and that was the single hardest PR I have made out of this entire cycle. I look forward to pushing the weight higher over the next couple of weeks.

While we were working out Jr comes out and starts messing around in the garage. After a while he says can I DL that, meaning the 95 LB's and I said if you want to try go ahead. He gets into position and pulled it no problem. He put it down and says how much was that and I told him he said I need some of those little plates so it will be 100 LB's. I said are you sure and he said yep. So I put on the 2.5's and he pulls a 100 like it was nothing. Perfect form the whole deal. At 8 years old he can pull 1.5 times his BW. I weighed in last night after MMA to see where I was and I am at 193. Jr was 66 and Laney was 47. Family weigh in. He doesn't workout with weights except to do fun stuff. All that strength comes from training gymnastics three times a week for 3 hours at a time. Nutty.

Old 11-26-2008, 03:41 PM   #868
Greg Davis

Hey Derek great log. I'd love to see what your nutrition is looking like at this point?

I'm doing 3-4x week grappling training and have also struggled with deciding whether or not to do weights on training days etc. but also with watching for overtraining and under-eating. I generally just have a starch-up meal (sweet potatoes or squash etc.) every few days after training otherwise low carb and work in short SS style weightlifting maybe 2-3x per week. But totally dependent on how I feel. Sometimes I lift before a grappling session not expecting much of a class and it turns in to killer competitive rolling. Leaves me sore and overtrained if not careful.
Old 11-26-2008, 06:03 PM   #869
Derek Simonds

Nutrition is a challenge for me. I am trying to put on weight right now but now am having a hard time opening up my diet enough to substantially gain weight.

I eat mostly paleo. I will track my diet over a couple of day period and post it for you to see.

Old 11-27-2008, 09:25 AM   #870
Derek Simonds

Thursday November 27

1.5 mile walk with both dogs and my son + 40 LB xVest. Nice morning for a walk still too brisk for me but what are you gonna do.

Got home and did a couple of quick sets of weighted pushups and pullups.

I borrowed my dads smoker and since it was here I wanted to make sure to cook as much meat as possible. Check it out.