Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Training Logs

Old 12-17-2008, 07:43 AM   #901
Derek Simonds

Wednesday December 17

This was so odd that I decided I needed to log it. First time in 5 years of keeping records that I didn't get up for a planned workout. Not that I didn't have the desire. Apparently when I checked the alarm last night I hit a button that changed my timezone from EST to PST. So I wake up roll over look at the clock see that it is 3:53 and think man I feel pretty good for that early. Then I realize how bright it is, sit up and go oh crap something is wrong.

So tonight I plan on working out when I get home. Lets see how that will work.

http://westvolusiawellness.com/
Derek Simonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 05:52 PM   #902
Derek Simonds

Wednesday December 17 PM

D W/U

B W/U

EC Foam Rolling (I have some pretty significant DOMS don't know if it was from grappling or Mondays WO)

1)Power Clean 45 X 5, 95 X 5, 115 X 5, 135 X 5, 145 X 5, 5

2) Press + DJ Lockout 45 X 5, 85 X 5, 105 X 5 X 3

3) Zercher's 105 X 10 X 3 (Just didn't have the heart to go heavy, BLAH)

4a) S/U's + 55 LB Sandbag 15 X 4
4b) 2 Hand Plate Pinch 25's X 5, 35's X 5, 5, 45's X 5

5a) B/E 10 X 4
5b) BB Wrist Curls 20 X 3, 10
5c) BB Wrist Extensions 20 X 3, 10

Out of time and energy plus I tweaked a muscle in my neck / upper traps when I was pressing so I am calling this thing done. Finished with some more foam rolling.

Old 12-18-2008, 09:45 AM   #903
Arden Cogar Jr.

Isn't Foam Rolling something you wished you would have started, like, 20 years ago?

What do you suppose you did to your neck? I often do stuff like that when I forget to "stick my head through the window" on the lock out.

Are you Zerching your bars from the floor, or deadlifting them to the knees, sitting back resting the bar on the leg, then zerching them from knee height? I've seen it done both ways - I prefer the floor, but, to be honest, I've never done it the knee way.

How goes the battle with the little ones?

all the best,
Arden
Arden Cogar Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 10:15 AM   #904
Derek Simonds

The down time I could have eliminated in my life if I had found foam rolling sooner is unmeasurable!

On the press I do what I call Dan John lockouts at the end. It is a combination of upside down shrug and the final part of the press. I am pretty sure that my right side scapula wasn't as tight as it should have been when I was doing the lockouts and I just felt the muscle twinge and kind of kink up. Some NSAID's, ice and heat and I am in pretty good shape today.

I asked Dave about the Zercher's because I was doing them all from the floor and he suggested that I do rack Zercher's. I can definitely do more weight out of the rack and am not far behind my BS at all (not saying much). Last night I picked the bar up off the ground and then just did sets of 10 and set it back down again.

The kids are fantastic. I don't know if you saw this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ege_CDIIbTE but at the beginning Jr DL's 100 LB's. The next piece with Delaney my 6 year old girl is actually just as special to me because she always wants to workout with daddy and she really worked hard on her workout.

Thanks for asking. From what I read in your training log you got a ton of weight hitting the bar and a tough case in court. Always seems to be that way. Best of luck with both.

Old 12-18-2008, 06:15 PM   #905
Derek Simonds

Thursday December 18 PM

MMA: 10 Minutes of shadow boxing, sprawls and takedowns for warmup. Immediately went to 2 3 minute rounds of kicking. First minute singles, second doubles and finished with 1 minute of hight kicks all using the big kicking shields. Went to the ground and work open guard pass where you duck under the leg. Good practice. This is not the way I like to pass so I need to work it more. Practiced that then drilled for 6 minutes on live passing. Finished with 2 5 minute rounds in the octagon. Only 6 of us at class tonight so I go the octagon 1 other guy took the ring and the last guy was on the mats.

First round with a really good muay thai and BJJ player. Things are different though when you can pin someone to the cage and punch. That is where we ended up and I was able to control the pace from there. Next round was with a really big guy 220 plus. I was able to control him pretty much the same way by getting him up against the cage and working from there. I did get an armbar from the mount and a triangle while sparring with him. Good class and home to feed.

I weighed in before class and was at 197.6. After class I was 195.0 I lost 2.6 LB's in a 1 hour session. I am so close to 200 LB's but I am starting to feel soft around the middle and don't really like it.

Old 12-19-2008, 03:37 AM   #906
Allen Yeh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Simonds View Post
Thursday December 18 PM
I weighed in before class and was at 197.6. After class I was 195.0 I lost 2.6 LB's in a 1 hour session. I am so close to 200 LB's but I am starting to feel soft around the middle and don't really like it.
That is a crazy amount of water to lose! 2.6 pounds in an hour, what do you typically do to rehydrate after a session like that? Gatorade? Pickle juice? just plain water? PWO type of shake?

I'm sitting around 192 right now and I'm pretty damn shocked that I''m lower bodyfat right now than I have been since April?, even though my weight is about the same range.

BTW I had a bizarre dream last night that you left me a voicemail telling me you were going to start Maximum Strength. I actually wasn't sure this morning if it actually happened or it was a dream, whichever case don't do that again unless you bring the Dallas Cowboy cheerleaders with you next time.
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 05:35 AM   #907
Leo Soubbotine

Tomorrow (Saturday)
http://www.crossfitevolution.com/xmas-wod-party/ - if you can - be there!
Old 12-19-2008, 07:11 AM   #908
Derek Simonds

It's not cheating if it is in a dream right? If that's the case the cheerleaders are on their way!

Leo work has a major suck factor right now and Saturday looks totally screwed. I will know for sure shortly and will call and confirm. Thanks for the invite.

Friday December 19

I had the joy of working out with my wife this morning. Not really sure what got into her but she wanted to get up and work out with me. My son was so flabbergasted that he said mom you have to wake me up I want to watch. She didn't find that as cute as I did.

D W/U
Jump Rope
EC Foam Rolling
Mobility Work (I showed Tracy a ton of different moves so she can incorporate them into her workouts)

1a) BS 45 X 5, 95 X 5, 135 X 5, 185 X 5 X 3 (Major problem today, Tracy is significantly shorter than me and I don't have a rack, squat stands only)
1b) Chin Ups 5, 4, 3

2a) Bench 45 X 5, 95 X 5, 135 X 5, 175 X 5 X 3
2b) BB Row 95 X 10 X 3

3) DL 135 X 5, 225 X 5, 295 X 5, 330 X 5 (PR that was really heavy and I will be paying for later)

4a) 20 LB Med Ball Russian Twists on B/E 20 X 4
4b) 65 LB Standing wrist curl 20 X 4
4c) 16 LB Seated wrist extension 20 X 4
4d) Plank 1 minute X 4

5a) 55 LB Sandbag S/U's X 12 X 3
5b) 80 LB Rolling Thunder DL 5r/5l X 3

One final note. Tracy did all the same exercises except bench, she did push ups. As always with my wife I was very impressed. She rocked through everything. She was getting a little bored with me taking 3 minutes between sets though. Gonna have to work on that....

Old 12-19-2008, 07:19 AM   #909
Allen Yeh

330 x 5! nice!
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 04:03 AM   #910
Derek Simonds

Saturday December 20

Last day of craziness for a while at work.

D W/U

KB C&J 16 KG 60 total 10 L/R x 3 times

KB Snatch 16 KG 60 total 10 L/R 3 times

10 LB Plate Curls X 12 L/R

FBBC Big Squeeze +32 LB's Curls X 10 X 3

FBBC Big Squeeze Pinch Suitcase DL's + 22 LB's Really difficult to do. But loads of fun. I managed to totally drop the rig a couple of times.

2 hand pinch 45's X 5 seconds X 2 X 5

BB Wrist Curl 45 LB's X 20 X 4
BB Wrist Extension 11 LB's X 20 X 4

Really just wanted something to do to burn off a little anxious energy before work.