Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Training Logs

Old 01-01-2009, 07:23 AM   #921
Derek Simonds

Thanks Derek. It has been a good year. I was talking over some of the highlights with a friend last evening. I am looking forward to 2009 and it will be even better.

Sandbags are awesome. I have one homemade bag that can be loaded up to 150 LB's and I have two I bought from somewhere that can be loaded up to 60 LB's.

http://westvolusiawellness.com/
Derek Simonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 10:32 AM   #922
Allen Yeh

Happy New Year!
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 06:11 AM   #923
Derek Simonds

Friday January 2

AM

D W/U and a quick workout while rearranging the garage gym. Very excited.

Press + DJ Lockout 45 X 5, 75 X 5, 95 X 5, 105 X 5 X 3

Pendlay Row 45 X 10, 95 X 10 X 3

Lots of time up and down the attic stairs and even more time bent halfway over rearranging stuff in the attic. End result is just freaking fantastic. I will post some pics later.

AM 2

Private with Fabio and Rafael. Worked a little on armbar, omoplata triangle sequence then moved on to using the turtle while you have one of your opponents arms trapped between youur legs. Basically you were in closed guard and threw your legs over your head while holding one sleeve. End results turtle with one of their arms between your legs. From there we worked going back to guard with a triangle, a sweep where you just sat backwards and pulled them down and another sweep where you rolled them over by sitting up and pulling them over backwards.

Finished with some inverted triangle work and some resistance drilling. Very good class and loads of stuff to work on.

Old 01-03-2009, 08:37 AM   #924
Derek Simonds

Saturday January 3

D W/U

Muay Thai Pad Work 15 minutes of 3 minute rounds

Bench 45 X 5, 95 X 5, 135 X 5, 185 X 3 X 3
DB Row 40 X 10, 50 X 10, 5, 5

BS 45 X 5, 95 X 5, 135 X 5, 185 X 5 X 3
P/U's 5, 5, 5

TKO one round of Fight Gone bad

20 LB Wallball 27
75 LB Push Press 18
Box Jumps 23
Sumo Deadlift High Pulls 23
Row 37 strokes at over 300 watts no idea how many calories

I was smoked today. I had no idea how smoked until I started working out. It has been a good long week. Jr has his first gymnastics meet today so I am getting out of here. I will post pictures later this weekend.

Old 01-03-2009, 07:22 PM   #925
Derek Weaver

Big volume week. Those are impressive wallballs and box jumps on FGB. I hate/love that workout. One of the finer designed wods by Glassman if you ask me.
Derek Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 07:15 PM   #926
Derek Simonds

I am going into a half volume week for recovery so it was a nice finish. I probably over did it by half this week. I am sore all over but in a good way. The push press after the wallball was ridiculous. I really felt like I could have broke 30 all the way but fell way short.

Old 01-05-2009, 05:06 AM   #927
Derek Simonds

Monday January 5

Back to work baby!

D W/U
EC Foam Rolling
Mobility Work

BS 45 X 5, 95 X 5, 135 X 5 X 5

Press + DJ Lockout 45 X 5, 70 X 5 X 5
P/U 3 X 3

DL 135 X 5, 185 X 5 X 5

Anti Rotation on B/E 20 seconds per side X 3

Plank 1 minute X 3

Old 01-06-2009, 01:29 AM   #928
Leo Soubbotine

Derek,

We'll be bike riding this Sunday morning. If you got some time - call me up if you can make it.
Old 01-06-2009, 07:26 AM   #929
Derek Simonds

Tuesday January 6th

I had to get up at 4:45 this morning to take my friend to the airport. Yeah that sucks. I am already tired sitting at my desk. I got home right on time to start my workout. For the next 4 weeks I am on a different schedule. M, T, W off, H off, F, S, S off. We will see how this works out. Saturday is going to be a clean up and met-con day so I can start getting some work capacity back.

D W/U
EC Foam Rolling

Power Clean 45 X 7, 95 X 3 X 5

Incline Bench 30 X 5, 40 X 5 X 5
Pendlay Row 95 X 5 X 4

Clean Pull 135 X 3 X 3

Russian Twists 20 LB Med Ball X 20 X 4
B/E X 7 X 4

Nice and easy no worries.

Old 01-09-2009, 02:52 PM   #930
Derek Simonds

Thursday January 8

MMA

During the warmup Fabio says to me I think I am going to make someone puke tonight. Nice at least now I know what I have to look forward to. Just pure MMA cardio pushing the gas the entire time. The cardio madness ended with 40 armbars off a punch and 40 triangles off a punch. That right there will make the abs sore for a week.

Finished with 5 minute rounds of monkey in the middle switching opponents every minute. Guy in middle fought from guard and had to sweep or submit. Guy on top tried to escape or pass. Punching to the face was legal. My turn I averaged at least 2 subs or sweeps per opponent. I paid the price though my face is banged up! Good training and totally drained.

Home to watch the Florida Gators win the national championship.