Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Training Logs

Old 02-06-2009, 08:14 AM   #971
Derek Simonds

February 6 Friday

What a week. I am now in Newark for another meeting. 3:00 PM 45 minutes north of the airport. Wonder if I will be able to make my return flight tonight. Don't know but this meeting is extremely important for me and the company.

Today is the first day I haven't felt like death warmed over. Now I just feel like crap warmed over so I figured I would get a quick workout in at the hotel.

D W/U

Incline DB Bench 40 X 10, 45 X 10, 50 X 10 X 2
DB Row 40 X 10, 45 X 10, 50 X 10 X 2

Curl (you know) 20 DB's X 12 X 3
Tricep Push Down 100 X 12 X 3

Shrug 50 DB's 12 X 4

And while I was in the gym a client called and agreed to a deal so that worked out ok!

http://westvolusiawellness.com/
Derek Simonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 01:00 PM   #972
Allen Yeh

Nice!
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 03:49 PM   #973
R. Alan Hester

Nice! x 2. Hopefully things will calm down soon.
R. Alan Hester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 10:28 AM   #974
Derek Simonds

Sunday February 8

D W/U

5 Minutes of 16 KG KB RKC Armbars and TGU's

2 4 LB Hammer's
20 Side Swings
20 Roof Blocks + Strike
20 Front Swings
20 Iron Cross
20 Hammer Time
20 Upswing / Circle Blocks (don't know what to call these)
20 Side Swings

BS 45 X 10, 95 X 5, 135 X 5, 185 X 5 X 3, 205, 225

Bench 45 X 10, 105 X 5, 165 X 5 X 3
BB Row 115 X 8 X 4

And that is a wrap. Fine tuning my presentation for next week and spending time with the kids today. My wife had a problem with the burb last week so she dropped it off for service. I went to pick it up last night and they said yep all fixed up. As soon as I left I knew it wasn't fixed so I turned around and went right back. Short version is I said to the manager you didnt fix squat! He calls the mechanic and I say there is no way you drove it he says yes I did. Manager goes did you check the lug nuts he says twice. Apparently he can't count!

Yes siree that would be after I made a left hand turn and the wheel went flying off. Not only did I have to drive the burb to the side of the road without a wheel I couldn't get out the drivers door either as the wheel slammed into the fender and pushed that back into the door effectively sealing it. Did I mention that the tech was with me on the test drive to figure out what was wrong. I think I win the calm guy of the year award for not beating the guy to a bloody pulp on the spot. I was extremely perturbed. Jr found it rather scary.

I really have no idea why I did it but after I got the burb stopped I put the parking brake on. That really was critical?

The shop has agreed to repair everything including the body damage so we will see how this all turns out. What a pain in the arse!

Old 02-09-2009, 03:25 AM   #975
Greg Davis

Derek what do you eat after a PM grappling session?

I find that to be my biggest challenge.. since I have to get up early ~5.30am and on monday nights I like to go to BJJ+wrestling classes, dont get home til 8.30pm at earliest. Then its like I'm drained but don't feel like I have time for a real meal. So I'm thinking a carb+pro shake will go down easiest.. but hate taking in sugar..
Old 02-09-2009, 03:40 AM   #976
Derek Simonds

Same problem and same schedule except I don't get home after gym til probably 9:45. My evening grappling sessions are usually 2:30. When I am done I am done so to speak. My ritual as of now is to stop at a convenience store and pick up a 16 oz chocolate milk. I usually have some fruit in the car along with nuts. If I am really hungry I will grab a zone bar. I have tried eating when I get home several times and I just can't do it after training hard. On days when I train in the evenings I eat at least 4 meals before I go. I don't IF as a standard practice so my meal timing isn't as critical. I will eat my normal breakfast then eat at 10, 1 and 3:30 so that the last meal is 2 plus hours before I go to the gym.

I also have a 45 minute drive home from the gym so the milk in the car routine works good. I also make sure that I am downing a ton of water on the way home. I try to drink at least a liter if not 1.5 liters. Otherwise I am in the whole when I wake up in the morning.

Old 02-09-2009, 04:37 AM   #977
Leo Soubbotine

Sucks to hear about the burb.

Is your guy still good to weld some stuff for us?
Old 02-10-2009, 04:58 AM   #978
Derek Simonds

Yep he is good to go on the welding. We just need to schedule a time when I am in town. Next weekend probably will be our best shot until March. I will call my dad and get it set up if that works for you.

February 10 Tuesday

D W/U (kind of cheesy but at least I was moving)

Rack pulls from bottom of the knee cap. 135 X 5, 225 X 5, 315 X 5, 375 X 3, 405, 405, 315 X 5

BB Shrug 135 X 12 X 4

Press + DJ Lockout 45 X 5, 85 X 5, 105 X 5 X 3
P/U 3, 3, 3, 3, 3

DB Hammer Curl 20 X 12 X 3
Tricep Pressdown 12 X 3

45 Degree Incline S/U 12 X 3
45 Degree B/E 12 X 3

The rack pulls were solid and the only problem I had was I forgot my lifting straps and I couldn't hold the weight. On the 3 rep of 375 as I was lowering the weight it was in contact with my thigh all the way down, as it got above my knee cap some of the muscle bunched up and got pinched between the bar and my knee cap. Holy snikey that hurt. Left a HUGE bruise and knot in the very bottom of my quad.

Everything else was solid. I just don't have a ton of energy. So I will give this a 7/10.

Starting my meetings in Nashville for the next 4 days. Here I go.

One final note I just finished reading Lone Survivor by marcus Luttrel. The story is about the SEAL team that got killed in Afghanistan. Very poignant. I think that it is also the story of namesake of the hero workout Murph. Certainly makes you look at the workout differently when you read what happened in the mountains.

Old 02-10-2009, 06:33 AM   #979
Leo Soubbotine

Great book. Made me want to go SEAL. But I can't - you gotta be a citizen and I'm only a wannabe at this point.

I'll see if I can square away the metal by next weekend.
Old 02-10-2009, 03:20 PM   #980
Allen Yeh

Sorry about the car, at least you are ok.
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote