Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Training Logs

Old 02-12-2009, 04:29 AM   #981
Derek Simonds

February 12 Thursday

5 Minutes on the treadmill

D W/U

BS 45 X 8, 135 X 5, 185 X 5 X 3, 205 X 2 X 2

Incline DB Bench 40 X 8, 50 X 8, 55 X 8, 60 X 8
DB Row 40 X 8, 50 X 8, 55 X 8, 60 X 8

Plank 1 minute X 3

Not a ton of stuff today. I am still feeling like crap. At least the green snot is gone. I worked out with one of my coworkers today. I spent most of the time coaching him on DB moves. He has a set of adjustable DB's at his house and I helped him put together 2 routines that he and his sons can do together. Took more time than I had planned to make sure that he was doing the moves correctly. Number 1 exercise why the DJ Goblet Squat of course.

I am getting jerked around now over my burb from the garage that is responsible. Nothing pisses me off more than being hundreds of miles away and having someone not do what they are supposed to.

http://westvolusiawellness.com/
Derek Simonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 09:35 AM   #982
Derek Simonds

February 14 Saturday

I proposed to my wife on a Mexican beach 10 years ago yesterday. Kind of a life milestone for me. I never really imagined I would be married let alone for almost 10 years now. It has been an absolutely wonderful journey and I look forward to all the years ahead of us. Now off the sappy crap and onto the WOD!

D W/U

RKC Armbar + TGU 16 KG KB 5 minutes non stop

2 4 LB Hammer's
20 Side Swings
20 Roof Blocks + Strike
20 Front Swings
20 Iron Cross
20 Hammer Time
20 Upswing / Circle Blocks (don't know what to call these)
20 Side Swings

BS 45 X 5, 95 X 5, 135 X 5, 185 X 5, 195 X 5 X 2, 205 X 5, 225 X 2

Press + DJ Lockout 45 X 5, 85 X 5, 115 X 3, 4, 4 (I really tried to get that 5th one on both of the last 2 sets)

DL 135 X 5, 225 X 5, 275 X 5, 315 X 3 (with straps), 325 X 2

Everything felt really solid today. This was the first time I have lifted in 10 days that I didn't feel completely weak. Still wasn't strong but I will take it! It was so nice to be in the garage with the door open and the sun shining in, instead of in a globo gym.

Old 02-15-2009, 07:28 AM   #983
Derek Simonds

February 15 Sunday

D W/U

RKC Armbar + TGU 5 minutes non stop

B W/U

Squat Clean 61 X 5, 95 X 3, 135 X 1,2,3, 145 X 1,2,3, 155 X 1,2,3
L Sit P/U 1,2,3,1,2,3,1,2,3

Bench 45 X 10, 115 X 5, 175 X 5 X 3, 205, 225 w/ a spot so FAIL! dang it.
Pendlay Row 135 X 8 X 3

Clean Pulls (Jump Shrug I try to get my feet off the ground each rep) 185 X 5 X 3

Tabata Sledge Hammer 12 LB'er X 8 rounds amount of strike per side R 13,11,12,11 L,11,10,11,10

Nice finisher, definitely got the heart rate up. My friend Andy missed on his last rep of the last set of cleans and his elbow collided with his knee on the way down while he was holding the weight. All I could think was that is going to be a broken wrist. Luckily it just hurt and doesn't appear to be anything serious.

Old 02-15-2009, 07:31 AM   #984
Derek Simonds

For the next 4 weeks my schedule is going to look like this.

Monday OFF
Tuesday AM Weightlifting PM No-Gi
Wednesday AM Weightlifting PM No-Gi
Thursday OFF
Friday OFF
Saturday AM Weightlifting and if time allows GI
Sunday AM Olympic Weightlifting

I like the schedule and will see how it treats me. I am giving it my all during the week for these training sessions I am conducting so I am pretty exhausted when evening rolls around. This schedule should allow time for good recovery.

Old 02-15-2009, 08:22 AM   #985
Steven Low
Super Moderator

Getting old, eh? Having problems with recovery.

Nah, that's a pretty intense schedule.. if you can handle that it's pretty good.

How's your son doing with gymnastics (or is he not doing it)? It's competition season if I remembered correctly..
Old 02-15-2009, 01:56 PM   #986
Derek Weaver

Things are looking good. Those clean pulls getting off the ground are solid work.

Looks like you've got a pretty demanding schedule there. I like schedules like 2/2/2/1 work:rest.

How's the burb?
Derek Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 05:43 AM   #987
Derek Simonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Low View Post
Getting old, eh? Having problems with recovery.

Nah, that's a pretty intense schedule.. if you can handle that it's pretty good.

How's your son doing with gymnastics (or is he not doing it)? It's competition season if I remembered correctly..
Well old is a state of mind, right? The training I was referring to wasn't my lifting and BJJ it is the work I am doing in Nashville. I am leading an executive training class for 40 participants. The training is very dynamic as it focused on the needs of the participants so it is different every time I teach it. Some of the material is static but the vast majority changes based on questions posed by the group. It runs from 7:30 in the morning to 5:00 at night and I am absolutely smoked when I am done. On Tuesday I start at 1:00 so at least I have a little break today.

Jr has had two meets this year and I have really slacked on getting the video up. He is competing as a level 5 and they are on the new 16 point scoring. Wow is it different all the way around. The first meet was a judges cup and he went into it with 3 skills that he had never landed in practice. He pulled all of them off at the meet. The last meet he was slightly sick and really struggled in his first 3 events. He did finish strong and placed 4th overall.

That meet was actually a good learning experience. He was pretty bummed and came over and told me "dad I really did bad on my pbars and vault" I told him that he needed to be like Paul Hamm and not give up. That his team needed him even if he wasn't going to medal in the first two events they still needed his scores on the next 4. He went back out and really gave it his all. Made me proud.

I will get some video up this week.

Old 02-17-2009, 05:46 AM   #988
Derek Simonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Weaver View Post
Things are looking good. Those clean pulls getting off the ground are solid work.

Looks like you've got a pretty demanding schedule there. I like schedules like 2/2/2/1 work:rest.

How's the burb?
The burb is still down. I politely told the folks at the local garage that if there was a problem I have no issue with personally contacting their CEO. Not sure exactly why but all of sudden there was a flurry of activity.

I will no later today if I am good to go. But it should be done by the end of the week. My fingers are crossed.

Leo told me that because I DL so much is why my pulls are good. Might be something to that.

Old 02-17-2009, 05:52 AM   #989
Derek Simonds

February 17 Tuesday

5 Minutes on the treadmill

D W/U

BS 45 X 10, 95 X 10, 135 X 10, 145 X 10, 155 X 10 (yep you read that right I did 10's)
Chin Ups 5 X 5

Incline Bench 40 X8, 60 X 8 X 3
Wide Grip T-Bar Row 90 X 8 X 3

BB Crush 50 X20 X 2, 45 X 20 (the knurling on the 40 was way too aggressive for me so switched to a regular BB)

45 minutes in and an out. Back at the hotel and getting ready to do some work before heading to my meetings.

It is kind off chilly here in Nashvegas and I really wonder how you Northerners do it all winter long. It was 30 and I had on shorts when I left the hotel. BRRRR.....

Old 02-18-2009, 05:02 AM   #990
Derek Simonds

February 18 Wednesday

5 Minutes on treadmill

D W/U

Rack Pulls 45 X 10, 135 X 5, 225 X 5, 315 X 5, 365 X 2, 415 X 1, 435 X F, 415 X 1, 365 X 2, 315 X 5

Press + DJ Lockout 45 X 10, 85 X 5, 110 X 5 X 3 (I am so close to a PR here)
P/U 5 X 5

1a) 20 LB DB Curls 12 X 3
1b) 25 LB Russian Twist

2a) Tricep Pressdown 10 X 3
2b) B/E 10, 10, 5 (this was the most uncomfortable B/E bench I have ever used so I quit)

I forgot my freaking lifting straps again. I could do more I just can't hold it. The 435 was moving it just pulled my fingers apart. I will remember next week.

Didn't get to grapple last night. I was absolutely bombarded with reporting questions and didn't leave until well after 8:00. That is a long day. Tonight I am bailing right at 5 so I can get to grappling.