Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Olympic Weightlifting

Old 02-08-2012, 08:30 AM   #1
Barry Corcoran

Default Help Needed

Hi All,

Im new to the forum, Ive bascially thought myself how to oly Lift ove the past 12 months,

One thing im finding is that when I Snatch im cathing the bar at a semi squat position like at above parrallel, pausing and then dropping inot a full sqaut before rising, anybody any Ideas why this is happneing, I can throw up 60kg no problem,overhead squat it ok,

Is it nessesary to be catching this bar lower at all or do I only need to worry about getting low when I starts getting harder to get hieght
I take it when its gets heavy it will all come down to speed under the bar etc
and I should work on tall snatches ect.

any advise would be great thanks
Barry Corcoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 12:19 PM   #2
Greg Everett
Administrator

Try doing more snatch balances, high-hang snatches, tall snatches to get used to getting under the bar in a deeper position.

"Without a doubt the best book on the market about Olympic-style weightlifting." - Mike Burgener, USAW Senior International Coach

American Weightlifting: The Documentary
Catalyst Athletics
Performance Menu Journal
Greg Everett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 12:45 AM   #3
Barry Corcoran

Thanks Very much Greg,

Thats much appreciated, Ill do just that and let you know how I get on.

Barry
Old 02-13-2012, 02:01 AM   #4
Barry Corcoran

Hi Greg,

I tried some high hang snatches that you recommended,I found them really enjoyable,I got plenty of depth very easily and I found pulling under the bar much more natural.each time I lifed my confidence gew and had no problem adding weight. I defo wasnt conecntrating on that final pull under the bar, i was too focused on getting the weight up.
Ill keep them up alng with the other assists and look forward to hopefully seeing some nice transfer over to the full snatch.Ill keep you updated

Take care

Barry
Old 02-24-2012, 06:40 AM   #5
Barry Corcoran

Hi Greg,

Added 10kg to my snatch since you told me to start high hang snatches.And thats my first session back puling from the floor, so im delighted with that.Thanks
that was a massive help.

One thing I noticed on my clean and jerk today, when I went heavy when i was split jerking ,the bar was getting out to the front of me a bit when I was driving it up ,when recieved in the split it was pulling me to the front a little.any reasons why this happens? and any ques I could do before i drive the weight up before the split.
Old 02-24-2012, 09:36 AM   #6
Greg Everett
Administrator

could be a number of things. most likely you're shifting forward over your feet as you dip - get all the way back on your heels and keep your chest back as you dip and drive - only the knees bend, torso doesn't lean at all. you may also, or instead, be over-reaching with the back foot - that will pull your hips out from under the bar and create the effect of having the bar too far forward even if it didn't actually travel forward. think of getting the back foot down the floor right away, and pick up and reach the front foot forward, pushing your hips in under the bar.

"Without a doubt the best book on the market about Olympic-style weightlifting." - Mike Burgener, USAW Senior International Coach

American Weightlifting: The Documentary
Catalyst Athletics
Performance Menu Journal
Greg Everett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 04:26 AM   #7
Barry Corcoran

Thanks Greg,

Ill try that today, heading off now for a session will let you know how it goes.
Old 03-02-2012, 06:30 AM   #8
Barry Corcoran

Hi Greg,

I did what you said regarding the split jerk phase, I focused on keeping the weight on the back of the heels and reaching with the front leg whilst getting that rear leg down, and I must say it worked a treat, the weight felt much more centered and my stabilty over head was much improved and this was at about 95% of my PR.

I just have one thing thats ben melting my bain for a while now,
I read your arcticle on hips meeting the bar in the Snatch.I just had a couple of questions.

Is the hip meeting the bar a consious decision on the lifters part,I do wonder that if im trying to bump my hips into the bar am I taking away from my jump.

secondly if im making an effort to get my hips to meet the bar does the pull under happen directly after this.

so my questions are

A.Should I be making a consious effort to bump my hips into the bar and does the pull under happen directly after this or at the same time( do you think it takes away from and explosive jump)

or B, focus on jumping and pulling under the bar at the same time and not make a consious effort for my hip to meet the bar.

Thanks again, your advice has ben a massive help.