Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Olympic Weightlifting

Old 02-15-2012, 04:31 AM   #1
Sharif Jomaa

Default Clean & Jerk critique - third time

So I posted a couple of videos before and got some good feedback. I hit 95kg today with what I thought was slightly better form than my last video at 105..

Here it is below, take a look and let me know if my hips are doing what they should (and any other pointers too). Thanks!

http://youtu.be/UoLeq5ohX7U

Speed is slowed down by 50%
Sharif Jomaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 02:17 PM   #2
Greg Everett
Administrator

Clean -

Position off the floor is good, except that you're looking down - find a focal point in front of you and try to keep your eyes on it throughout the lift.

Past the knees the bars gets a little away, but you bring it back in - however, it contacts your thighs a little lower than optimal - try to stay over it a moment longer and hit the bar a bit higher. That will help you stay closer to the bar during your pull under as well - it's a bit too far away from you.

Look a little tight in the bottom of the squat - work on ankle flexibility in particular, but everything else as well.

Jerk -

You're shifting to your toes immediately as you initiate your dip. Take a moment longer, get a good stomach breath, and shift back to your heels as far as you can while still maintaining contact between the floor and the balls of your feet. Only then start your dip, and bend at the knees only, keeping your chest back and your weight on the heels.

Drive through the bar a bit more with the legs before you split. Once you correct the shifting in your dip/drive, your position and balance in the split should be much better. Make sure you bend the back knee and try to balance your weight about evenly between front and back feet.

"Without a doubt the best book on the market about Olympic-style weightlifting." - Mike Burgener, USAW Senior International Coach

American Weightlifting: The Documentary
Catalyst Athletics
Performance Menu Journal
Greg Everett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 11:48 PM   #3
Sharif Jomaa

Thanks for the reply Greg, I appreciate it.

One question which I see wasn't touched on; Do I get the hips driving through in your opinion or am I still more so relying on pulling the bar up?
Old 02-21-2012, 08:48 AM   #4
Greg Everett
Administrator

You're good with the hips vs traps; you're not getting the hips fully extended (which isn't necessarily a problem in the clean) but only because the bar is hanging up on the thigh from hitting a bit low. If you can get it to contact higher, you'll be able to get the hips through better.

"Without a doubt the best book on the market about Olympic-style weightlifting." - Mike Burgener, USAW Senior International Coach

American Weightlifting: The Documentary
Catalyst Athletics
Performance Menu Journal
Greg Everett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 10:39 PM   #5
Sharif Jomaa

Thanks Greg; I'll post another video in time. I'm working on being more patient with the bar before extending the hips.