Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Training Logs

Old 07-01-2012, 05:46 PM   #111
Yael Grauer

We're back from the lake! Nice couple of days, and I got some running video which I think is pretty spot on... but I'm going to make someone look at it before I e-mail it in. Next I need to get my throws, and we found a fence in the park near my house that is 8' tall which will give me a place to practice some throws, so that takes care of the 7' ceiling problem. And then I just have to work on the climbing...

My arm is still jacked; thought it was better until we tried playing Polish horseshoes and I extended it all the way out suddenly and yeah, it's bad. Now I know who I never want to roll or drill with again...

I'm skipping the seminar next weekend and all the advanced classes since I don't want to kick down an extra $100 when I can't even roll, so I'll just do the intermediate classes I guess.
Old 07-02-2012, 08:36 PM   #112
Yael Grauer

I skipped the intermediate class today since I don't know what we're covering and just want to be careful with my arm/elbow... I figure I may as well rest it. Thing is though that aside from fundamentals, I think today is the only class I can do this week unless I pay for the seminar, with the holiday and all, or if I go to open mat. But I actually feel like I have more control over what happens to my arm at open mat because I get to pick who to work with and what I do.

I did some band and TRX work in my basement, but it feels like a play workout and I'm not convinced it's more effective than nothing.... but I don't want to play with the rings until my arm's a bit better.

10 band squats (hold at bottom)
10 lateral squats
30 mountain climbers (per side)
20 burpees
2 sets of 3-position squats
16 TRX rows
16 TRX pushups
16 TRX reverse push-ups
maybe like 10 stair dips

Kind of a crappy workout but I like the Jungle Gym because I can change the pressure/angle of each arm... besides, it was too hot to go running... But I did tell Todd we should do our workouts together on days that we're both doing basement workouts so we can push each other. I think all he did was hit the heavybag for 15 minutes after I decided it was too for us to jog and run stairs.

My food is back on track though. Well, i think... I always get all worried that I'm eating too much fruit and nuts and stuff, but it was...

2 eggs + 2 slices of bacon and a banana

2 hardboiled eggs, a handful of plantain chips, about a dozen cherries

this awesome scramble Todd made with chicken apple sausage and sweet potatoes and zukes and kale from our garden. so good

oh and some of those delicious marcona almonds with rosemary that they sell at Trader Joe's

It's Paleo but I feel like it's not enough protein and too high in carbs. Well, maybe I'm just a perfectionist. Actually, I am really trying to work on just one thing at a time so for this week I'm focusing on getting my fish oil every single day; it's something easy I have been blowing off forever and I used to take it religiously, so I need to make that a habit again... especially since I'm trying to get my arm to work as soon as possible.
Old 07-03-2012, 10:18 PM   #113
Yael Grauer

I did a bodybuilding style workout with my boyfriend in our basement. We really need a bench since we had to do Swiss ball stuff... anyway, this is me doing his workout; not the exercises I'd pick but definitely pushed myself harder than I did yesterday halfassing everything on my own.

db bp on a Swiss ball: 10 X 20 lbs., 10 X 25 lbs., 10 X 25 lbs.
seated shoulder press: 2 X 12, 25 lbs.
lateral raise: 2 X 12, 5 lbs
db rows: 3 X 10, 1 kettlebell (I think it's 26)
hammer curls: 2 X 10, 15 lbs.
1-leg Romanian deads 2 X 12 (25 lbs. then 15 lbs.)
db step-ups, 2 X 10, 15 lbs.
triceps extensions 3 X 12, with 15 and then 5 lbs.
calf raises (24)
swiss ball jack knives (24)

Breakfast: two eggs, two slices of bacon, some cherries

Lunch: two turkey sticks, an apple with almond butter, carrot sticks... yeah not enough food

Dinner: I made this tomato tart, because we're using it as a sidebar for an interview I did and I wanted to test it. It's not entirely Paleo since it had cheese and the crust had 2 tablespoons of gluten-free flour (I think it's mostly garbanzo beans), but it was mostly tomatoes and almond flour and olive oil and basil.

Workout and fish oil both done today; once I do those for 7 days in a row I'm going to add more goals in. I really need to make sure I'm staying on track...

My 2 big goals right now are the MovNat ones (hoping to knock the throwing off tomorrow; climbing will take longer) and also to start my rings workout. Other than that, rehab my arm and take enough BJJ classes to get another god damn stripe so I can do advanced classes even after GG leaves.

I just signed some new contracts today so I have a bit of work lined up (mostly corporate and ghostwriting), which means I can join the powerlifting gym again within a month or two once I'm liquid again. Also takes a bit of pressure off. So I'll see where I'm at then.
Old 07-04-2012, 06:50 PM   #114
Yael Grauer

So I'm actually a little bit sore from yesterday; I guess that workout was harder than it seemed.

I also got more acupuncture on my arm and since the guy is so good I had him look at my knee and other arm and finger as well. He's really good; I'd given up on acupuncture after the last 2 places I tried to go over the past 3 years but he was so good at cupping and said he thought acupuncture was more indicated... and I could feel shit moving right away. I think acupuncture is something that is really easy to get away with sucking at, so it's nice to find someone who is actually effective.

Anyway, he used a bunch of topical points to try to help with my knee stuff, and he told me not to walk too much or use my knee today, which is probably a good idea because it's a bit sore and feels unstable. I'm honestly not sure what else to do with my knee at this point since I've already done all the rehab and gotten ART out the wazoo and it still doesn't feel 100%. Everyone keeps trying to give me mobility exercises, but I think it's too mobile... my kneecap just sort of shifted and I don't know that it'll ever shift back.

Anyway, staying off my knee took biking and running and throwing out of the picture, so no workout today, just a little gardening.

Breakfast: ground pork and apple with cinnamon and nutmeg
Lunch: Rotisserie chicken and some roasted veggies (yellow squash and zukes and mushrooms and red onion)
Dinner: The really awesome Puerto Rican beef recipe in Everyday Paleo, using kale from our garden.

Next week I'll be starting the Gold Medal Bodies Rings 1 program, which should be fun. And I'm toying with doing the LE program again.
Old 07-05-2012, 09:07 PM   #115
Yael Grauer

So now my arm only hurts when I put on a seatbelt (passenger side), get dressed or put on deodorant, lol. Awesome. But seriously, it's getting better enough I think to go to BJJ on Monday.

Breakfast: leftover chicken...
Lunch: leftover Puerto Rican beef, except without avocado
Dinner: the rest of the chicken, with some cherry tomatoes and the leftover squash/red onion/mushroom mix, and a tiny bit of grated cheese

Oh and I had an iced chai; I think I'll live though. I had a lot of corporate work and it's impossible to do without caffeine, and I can't do caffeine without some sugar, so... Actually normally I'll use it as an excuse to get a chai plus a piece of tiramisu and 2 brownies, so I think I'm doing pretty well if I lock myself in a cafe for many hours and all I get is a chai.

Workout is just some Roy Duquette stuff today, unless doing dishes counts.

Been thinking a lot about my goals... I think after the 7-week ring program I'm gonna do some Oly. I really want non-BJJ goals since I have so little control over what happens in BJJ and what I get to work on and who I get to work with and for how long, etc. My jits contract runs out in 5 months so I'll see how I feel then and if I need to reevaluate. I really love jits and I don't want to gym-hop, so I'm hoping by then I'll at least get another stripe and get to go to advanced, or get to pick my training partners, or something.

Was thinking of doing LE because I got such good results when I did it in '09, but it's annoying to pay money to people to give you workouts you don't necessarily want to do and give you nutrition advice you already know, and I think the results come from being consistent...which is something I damn well hope I can do on my own.
Old 07-06-2012, 08:39 PM   #116
Yael Grauer

Breakfast: two eggs, leftover squash/mushroom/red onion stuff
Lunch: spinach salad with avocados, walnuts...a little cheese. plus another chai
Dinner: I just made a soup with fish and scallops and tomatos and onions and garlic and coconut milk and lots of cumin.

Workout: another TRX thing w/ Todd... I'm not sold on tricep extensions and curls, but it was a good workout, and I just wanted to not think and do what he was doing anyway

3 circuits; 15 reps each, all on the Jungle Gym
lunges
inverted rows
pushups
triceps extension
back lunges
curls
atomic pushups
Old 07-07-2012, 03:02 PM   #117
Yael Grauer

Okay, so it's Saturday, which is my cheat day and planned late-night MMA extravaganza; I have to score bouts and provide witty commentary on twitter and I get to do some fact-checking and editing and writing. It's always fun but requires much caffeine.

Breakfast was some Paleo muffins Todd baked; so good! I was supposed to eat eggs and bacons, too, but I had to finish some client work before our meeting. Which means I had to sequester myself in a cafe and drink chai. I think the hard part is over, but I really want to figure out how to do stressful (for me) work on a deadline without bribing myself with chai. My business coach told me that doubling my rates for corporate work would make it less stressful, lol.

Anyway, food. Other meals for today will include tacos, dark and stormies (is rum Paleo?) and maybe some leftover seafood stew from last night. I got a shot of espresso in my chai so hopefully that'll keep me up all night as I wait for blog posts to come in to edit and write my fight recap for GuySports and my column for Sherdog.

Workout... I'm hoping to go on a bike ride or at least a walk because it's so beautiful out and I have some time before the prelims, but that's not really a workout.

I am really working hard to try to make workout out fun for me, and making BJJ more of like a side/supplementary thing for now.

I think a combination of intro ring work (gonna do that 7-week program), MovNat playing (it really is just for fun, at least after I get the climbing done) and Olylifting will do the trick. I just want to have fun and get strong and skilled instead of trying to set goals I can't meet due to circumstances outside my control. This will hopefully make BJJ suck less because I'll have more say outside of that gym about my life... I just feel so stuck and disempowered in class lately, like I'm slogging through required classes to get my attendance checked off before I'm permitted to do anything fun. And I'm frustrated that I have no say over who I work with or what we do. So time to aggressively pursue what I want... I like the idea of actual programming so I'm not just aimlessly playing and actually get somewhere, but having a bit of control is also really nice. It's not that I don't trust my coaches (they're great), but just that I want to have short-term fun instead of being bored and getting deconditioned because someone decided my fundamentals are more important than me getting a workout. Plus it's a pain to train only for competition esp. when I can't even always compete because of money, no women showing up, timing, injuries, etc.
Old 07-08-2012, 08:30 PM   #118
Yael Grauer

I drank too much and didn't sleep enough and had to finish my column this AM, so yes, you guessed it, I went to a cafe and got some sugary coffee drink. I also ate a banana, then at a party I had some pulled pork and a no-bun burger and a drumstick and some potato chips... not too bad. Dinner was pulled pork over broccoli and it was good.

For my workout I went on a 45-minute leisurely bike ride. I forgot how much love I put into my bike...the handlebars I put on myself so I could be more upright, all my cool stickers, the new grips on the bars, an awesome seat, etc. Plus it was nice to be on the trails. I need to bike more.
Old 07-09-2012, 07:38 PM   #119
Yael Grauer

So I went to make eggs and bacon this morning and then realized we were out of eggs, so I ate eggs and leftover pulled pork for brunch. Dinner was this amazing bratwurst salad from the Paleo Table. I also had some coconut water and I'll be eating some cherries and pistachios.

Workout #1: Started the Intro to Gold Medal Bodies program on the rings. Today was just a warmup, holding the top position (3 sets of 10 seconds)--couldn't have the rings pointed in, and then 3 sets of 5 seconds per leg of front scales, plus 3 sets of hollow body pushups (hold for five seconds, lower for 5, hold on bottom for 5, raise up for 5 to starting position.) Then pullups on the rings, 3 sets of 3, except our rings are pretty low so we had to do more like L-sit pullups. I did 2 sets but my elbow was acting up on the 3rd. Then a hollow body hold, 3 sets of 10-second rep. Then the stretching/cool down.

Workout #2: Went to an intermediate jits class. This purple belt who's my favorite coach was teaching, which was great. We worked on transitioning from side control to mounted triangle/armbars, and then an armbar from side which didn't rely on giving up position, so I liked it, and then we did three 6-minute rounds. I got to drill and then roll with a smaller purple belt I really like, and then I rolled with this blue belt girl who I've never worked with before who's super good but not spazzy, and then with a younger kid. I really want to work on just positional defense. My top game is good but I want to figure out why I keep ending up in bad positions. It's annoying that Saulo Ribeiro's book is all about how to survive from crap positions (I already know how to do that) or how to escape/counter them, but not how to get out of them.

Anyway, I was gonna do another class but have a backlog of work to try to catch up on and I was tired b/c we finally got to roll.
Old 07-10-2012, 07:36 PM   #120
Yael Grauer

So I didn't work out today; our pre-test for the rings program I'm doing is tomorrow and I wanted to be fresh for it. Or maybe I'm making excuses. I could've gone to fundamentals, but I was at my garden forever and besides, it's boring.

Breakfast: three eggs and a slice of bacon
Lunch: leftover brat salad
Dinner: Paleo meat loaf, brussel sprouts
I'm still hungry so I'll probably have some nuts or fruit or something.