Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Training Logs

Old 09-24-2012, 10:53 PM   #171
Yael Grauer

skipped bjj to get drinks with a friend. judge away.

i also ate a bunch of tapioca pudding.
Old 09-25-2012, 09:46 PM   #172
Yael Grauer

My knee was really acting up today, I think b/c of the change in weather, or barometric pressure, or something, so I went to my chiropractor but he told me not to do anything on it tonight except take a walk, so I skipped training, and he used the Activator to try to get my kneecap shifted back into place, since the IT band foam rolling did nothing. So now my knee feels weird and wobbly; I feel like the other leg is longer. He said it would adjust soon. And I had him work on my arm and finger some more, which he said were healing nicely, but of course still need some work for the tendons and ligaments and all that to recover.
Old 09-26-2012, 08:37 PM   #173
Yael Grauer

It was Yom Kippur, so I fasted today, which is the first year I've fasted in a really long time. I've had my own issues with food, so not eating anything always seemed like a really unhealthy thing for me to do, and I'm not really the prayer and fasting type, but I thought I'd do it this year anyway, so of course I didn't train. But I've been walking a bit to try to retrain my knee and it's feeling a lot better, and I'll be good to go tomorrow.
Old 09-27-2012, 05:27 PM   #174
Yael Grauer

Worked on sn first, after warming up with the stick and little bar, I did (all in kilos)

3 X 15 (the little bar)
3 X 19.5 (the little 5 lb wafers)
3 X 20
3 X 25
3 X 25
3 X 25
3 X 27
3 X 25
3 X 25

Then switched to c+js
2 X 25
2 X 35
2 X 35
2 X 45
2 X 45
2 X 33
2 X 37
2 X 37
2 X 38
1 X 35
1 X 35
1 X 35

then I guess I wasn't jerking behind my head enough, so I had to do
3 sets of 4 behind-the-neck jerks with just the bar

Front squats

3 X 20
3 X 25
3 X 40
3 X 45
3 X 45
3 X 45

And that was all she wrote!
Old 09-28-2012, 07:39 PM   #175
Yael Grauer

I slept 9 hours, so I guess the Oly worked. Really felt ready/itching to do jits today but I had to work tonight and 9:30 is too early in the morning for me, but I'll do tomorrow morning open mat at 10:30, though I have to cover the prelims at noon, so I'll only have an hour to train.
Old 09-29-2012, 01:32 PM   #176
Yael Grauer

Open mat. Rolled with this really heavy blue belt, but he said my legs were super strong, so maybe the Oly is working. Then I worked with this purple belt but my coach had me go with another guy during the same round for some reason. Then went with this really sick brown belt. Then I went with a blue while I was still recovering; got his back but couldn't finish the choke. So one of the coaches showed me a Marcelo version which I'm gonna try, sort of goosenecking the hand when you go for seatbelt position. Then I rolled with this one blue belt who really turned it up. Then worked on my double legs with this girl who's around my weight who wrestled in middle school and high school. So probably 5 rolls plus 2 drill sessions. Not too bad.

I looked at my classes for the month and I did 9 BJJ (10 if you count the promotion ceremony day) for a total of 16 hours, and 5 Oly. 16 is pretty good for me, not as good as I did in January-March, but more than I did April-August, plus with the Oly that's 15 training days. I'd rather have 20-24, but it's a good transition month IMO, esp. since I had so many other things going on.
Old 10-04-2012, 03:03 AM   #177
Yael Grauer

Monday I missed BJJ because I left my keys in Todd's car and also he locked his keys in his car which was parked far away and I couldn't get to class in time. But the other reason was because I had to wake up at 7AM to prep for some interviews for a blog post, so got maybe 3 hours of sleep, and was exhausted.

Tuesday went to Oly

Snatch:
33 lb x 2 reps
33 lb x 2 reps
40 lb x 2 reps
40 lb x 2 reps
44 lb x 2 reps
44 lb x 2 reps
55 lb x 2 reps
55 lb x 2 reps
60 lb x 2 reps
60 lb x 2 reps
62 lb x 2 reps
55 lb x 2 reps
55 lb x 2 reps
55 lb x 2 reps

Clean and Jerk:
55 lb x 2 reps
62 lb x 2 reps
77 lb x 2 reps
77 lb x 2 reps
84 lb x 2 reps
84 lb x 2 reps
84 lb x 3 reps

Clean and Press (clean followed by 5 OHP):
35 lb x 1 reps
55 lb x 1 reps
77 lb x 1 reps
79 lb x 1 reps
79 lb x 1 reps

Barbell Squat:
44 lb x 5 reps
66 lb x 5 reps
88 lb x 5 reps
99 lb x 5 reps
99 lb x 5 reps
99 lb x 5 reps

This is in lbs. because it's easier to just paste it in from Fitocracy.

Went to this Freshbooks customer appreciation party right after the gym, which was hilarious because I forgot to bring something to change into (and we don't have showers anyway) so I just threw a hoodie on over my sweaty clothes and am not sure if anybody noticed or not.

Wed missed BJJ, once again a buttload of work, in fact it's 5AM and am about to crash out; I have an 11AM deadline tomorrow and that's too early in the day for me. I tried to do the early class because I'm so sore from those squats, but didn't get done in time, and was too tired to do intermediate. I did go to the debate party, though...

But I'm noticing I miss BJJ every week for some reason or another. Instead of trying to do intermediate classes, I'm thinking I should just do beginner for a while so I can get more classes in and get promoted, which is what I want, and worry about intermediate more after I at least get my 4th stripe if not my blue. Plus then I don't have to worry about being sore. Also, those classes are earlier in the day.

I also need to figure out a way to fix my sleep schedule. If I have an 11AM deadline I'd rather do everything the day/night before, but it's almost impossible when it's a Monday and I have the pile of work from the weekend plus a deadline.

I'd like to work some semblance of normal hours and not be a vampire, though.

It's 5AM and I have a Thursday PM deadline and a piece due Monday at 11, so ideally I'd get both of those done tomorrow, plus I have to pack for my free weekend trip to NYC... and I promised to cook dinner... and ideally I'd want to get to open mat at noon if I get up in time and lift at 4:30... I think I may be able to pull it off, though--2 hours to write one piece before lifting, then 3 hours for the second piece after dinner/packing/etc. but not 100% sure.
Old 10-04-2012, 07:47 PM   #178
Yael Grauer

Okay, I feel like superwoman today because I went to bed at 5AM, got up at 11, went to jits, got home, did a rewrite I wasn't expecting, cleaned up and did the dishes and took the trash out, set up a traffic court hearing for this parking ticket I shouldn't have gotten, went to do some Olylifting, came home, cooked dinner, etc. I feel like a total stud just for doing BJJ and lifting in one day. Now I still have 2 things to write plus packing, but it's only 9PM so I should be able to pull it off.

BJJ was the drill/positional training class at noon. I actually really like this class and might start going to it. It was nice and small. Of course I got repartnered, but I can't complain too much since I got to work with the highest ranking guy in the room. We drilled knee on belly and worked on a baseball choke and another choke variation. I don't know that I'll ever use those particular chokes in my game, but I like knee on belly. Then for the game the person coming in was on the bottom and simply had to get to half guard or guard or something, and the person on top had to finish. I surprised myself (and others probably too, haha) by winning 3 or 4 times, including against someone with much higher rank than me, lol, because I could usually sneak back into half guard or whatnot. The rounds also lasted a pretty long time so I felt like I was sort of holding my own, and it was fun to maintain position or stop people from getting the finish, at least for a while... but that's not really necessarily true since I'm sure higher belts try stuff out on me that they wouldn't do on other people and could probably easily just smash me, but it still was kind of fun to kill people's grips and hooks and stuff and throw up some triangles from weird angles (never from guard, lol) and sneak in half guard sometimes. And there was one guy who's super strong and was trying to muscle out of (read bench press) side, and I ended up just landing on him pretty hard, which was pretty funny, though he got a sweep like 40 seconds later. Anyway. I think the things I'm best at in BJJ are...maintaining side control and half guard recovery. Just need to work on the rest. I like the noon class and need to start doing it more, I think.

Olylifting was the same as always: snatch, c+j, presses (clean followed by 5 presses) and back squats. Apparently I'm get stronger but my technique still needs work, especially my sn which I can't figure out how to not pull out.

Anyway, here's the #s (in lbs., from fitocracy).

Snatch:
33 lb x 3 reps
43 lb x 3 reps
50 lb x 3 reps
61 lb x 3 reps
55 lb x 3 reps
55 lb x 3 reps
57 lb x 2 reps
57 lb x 2 reps
55 lb x 3 reps
55 lb x 3 reps

Clean and Jerk:
55 lb x 2 reps
55 lb x 2 reps
66 lb x 3 reps
73 lb x 3 reps
79 lb x 2 reps
84 lb x 2 reps
77 lb x 2 reps
77 lb x 2 reps

Clean:
33 lb x 1 reps
44 lb x 1 reps
55 lb x 1 reps
55 lb x 1 reps
55 lb x 1 reps

(These were actually combined; clean followed by 5 presses)

Standing Barbell Shoulder Press (OHP):
33 lb x 5 reps
44 lb x 5 reps
55 lb x 5 reps
55 lb x 5 reps
55 lb x 5 reps

Back Squat:
66 lb x 5 reps
88 lb x 5 reps
99 lb x 5 reps
99 lb x 5 reps
99 lb x 5 reps
Old 10-13-2012, 01:50 PM   #179
Yael Grauer

Well, I was in New York for three days, and then got back and was slammed with work, and I also slept like 10 hours a night for 3 nights in a row, which was super weird. But I think it was the weather change, and I barely slept in NY at the hotel because my roommate snored something mean. Anyway, I didn't train this week except today (just some open mat) and am leaving again on Tuesday for a while, so won't train next week. I really have a problem with consistency. However, this crazy big but temporary ghostwriting gig I had looks like it's coming to an end, so I should theoretically have more time starting on the week of the 23rd.
Old 10-22-2012, 08:02 PM   #180
Yael Grauer

Lifted today, but I didn't feel like taking notes on everything I did. But mostly it was just snatches for triples, then c+js for doubles, then front squats, then presses, then back squates.