Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Training Logs

Old 03-31-2012, 08:58 PM   #11
Yael Grauer

Ugh, this is a horrible week. We had friends from a different state invite us out to lunch and so I had to miss BJJ, then Todd's parents took us out to dinner. And I feel sort of sick and out of whack b/c it's so cloudy. I wonder if I have allergies or something... who knows.

Breakfast: nothing
Lunch: a Juicy Lucy and sweet potato fries
Dinner: Steak salad. Maybe a handful of chips and salsa. Also, I never drink soda but was falling asleep.
Snacks: some dried apricots

I guess it could've been worse, eating out at places I didn't pick 2X/day. Tomorrow will be the last day of eating out in a while, though.
Old 04-01-2012, 10:06 PM   #12
Yael Grauer

breakfast: 2 scrambled eggs, 2 slices bacon, a Paleo tropical smoothie
lunch: leftover pulled pork, leftover meatballs, Paleo mayo, broccoli slaw
snack: trail mix
dinner: took my boyfriend to this Polish place to celebrate his birthday; we split a sampler plate with some kind of soup, pickled beets, salad, an onion roll, ribs, sausage, really good kraut, some kind of dumpling, and three pierogies. Oh and I had some kind of fancy martini.

Back to the grind tomorrow; last meal out in a while I hope.
Old 04-02-2012, 08:12 PM   #13
Yael Grauer

BJJ today for about 3 hours; did the fundamentals class, and then I stayed for my first Advanced class. It actually was not that hard; i was super worried about keeping up during warm-ups, some of which are complicated, and during the class. It had more steps than I'm used to, but I did okay, and then we rolled for about a half hour at the end, and then a half hour or so on our own. Feels good to know I can do an hour of fundamentals and an hour of advanced and keep up and still have energy to bug people to roll after class (even when I'm super PMS-y and dehydrated and hungry).

I got a copy of our new schedule starting the 15th and it looks like this:

Monday: Fundamentals, Intermediate
Tuesday: Fundamentals, Advanced
Wednesday: Fundamentals, Intermediate
Thursday: Fundamentals, Advanced
Friday: open mat
Saturday: open mat

My coach said I should do 2 intermediate and 2 fundamentals classes a week, and at least 1 advanced or 1 open mat. So if I go to both classes on Mondays and Wednesdays, that should take care of that, and then I can pick either Tuesday, Thursday or Friday (or Sat. morning) to stay late.

I have to work some crazy late hours for Sherdog on Friday nights as a weekend editor, so Fridays are probably out. Saturday morning seems like a good choice, but sometimes during open mat it's hard to find people to roll with. But I also like how it's unstructured. Still, doing 6 classes over 4 days is cool because I'd like to throw in a day of circuits just to keep my strength up.

At the same time, though, I feel like 6 classes in 6 days is better than 6 classes in 4 days, so I'm torn.

But if I was going to do 4 days, it'd look like this:

M-easy day (fundamentals, intermediate) 5:30-7:15

Tuesday OR Thursday-hard day (advanced) 7:15-9:15
Tuesday OR Thursday-strength day (circuits) morning

W-easy day (fundamentals, intermediate) 5:30-7:15

F-rest day (stretching)

S-hard day (open mat) morning
Sun-rest day (bike rides, active recovery)

It is still 6 classes a week, still 8 hours a week, and before I was doing 4 easy hours and 4 hard, so it's still doing that, but instead of 1 hour X 4 days and 2 hours X 2 days, it's 2 hours X 4 days.

:/
Old 04-03-2012, 09:40 AM   #14
Yael Grauer

Just realized I forgot to post my food from yesterday. I eat so bad when I don't pre-plan, but I made Todd go to Trader Joe's without me this week so I could stay glued to my computer screen and watch all my friends compete at Pan Ams. Breakfast was some kind of smoothie with avocado, coconut and banana (we just got a smoothie machine), and I had a rotisserie chicken and a handful of chocolate chips for lunch/dinner. Plus some of the cauli salad. And fish oil.
Old 04-05-2012, 12:10 AM   #15
Yael Grauer

Tues food:
rotisserie chicken with eggs for breakfast, then I had broccoli slaw and chicken thighs with coriander for dinner, and just more chicken as a snack of sorts.

Wed food:
half an avocado and a chai latte, tuna and cabbage salad with sesame oil, then almond-encrusted walleye with cole slaw and apple cider vinegar. and some chocolate.

Tuesday: too tired to train after 3 hours on Monday (imagine that!), so just did my S+C.

Wednesday: just a 1 hour fundamentals class; pendulum sweep to armbar to triangle type thing
Old 04-05-2012, 05:46 PM   #16
Yael Grauer

Breakfast/lunch: Paleo smoothie (the "tropical smoothie"), leftover chicken thighs and an apple
Dinner: pork coconut curry type thing
Snack: we are totally gonna get popcorn at the movies, and I had a couple handful of jelly beans... so straight sugar. :/ I need to get a handle on the sugar thing lately; so hard to resist it when it's handed to me and I'm having a monstrously bad day, though.

Did not go to BJJ tonight; I am just bored to tears at even the thought of sitting through another fundamentals class. Open mat on Saturday, though. I have to work late nights on Fridays and some Saturdays, so Friday open mat is a thing of the past.

Super psyched about getting some non-BJJ weight training in.
Old 04-07-2012, 07:33 AM   #17
Yael Grauer

About to go to open mat, even after a very late night. I'm a bit bummed about my new work schedule, but need the money, but missing Friday night open mat and having to go to bed at a crazy hour upsets me. And I need to find a non-sugary source of caffeine that I can stand to drink b/c otherwise I can't stay up for the entire shift.

I can't remember what I ate yesterday, because I know I ate more than what I can think of, which was Paleo shepherd's pie (with cauliflower mash) and half an avocado. I just can't think of what. Oh, and a peanut butter cup. Which led to the inevitable conversation with my boyfriend about how he needs to stop bringing me junk food. Which didn't go as well as I had wanted/expected. Oh well.
Old 04-07-2012, 09:57 PM   #18
Yael Grauer

Went to open mat this morning, but I'm pretty frustrated because I was there for an hour and only rolled with 3 people. There were way more people there the first half hour (when I was actively working) than the second, and I got to work with some good peeps (a small purple belt instructor, a larger purple belt, and this white belt who I like working with because I can work my offense against realistic resistance, since she's very strong and athletic and definitely no joke.) But then I asked like 4 people to roll; two guys said they were too tired and two said they were having a deep conversation about MMA. Um, okay. So I need to start drilling on my own or bringing my kettlebell to the gym so I won't waste time. Though I guess I did get some good longer rolls in.

Food: leftover shepherd's pie, a post-workout smoothie, half an avo, and I went to a Passover Seder this evening where I pretty much just ate matzah ball soup, chicken, and fruit. I need to really ratchet up my food intake a bit, though, as I feel like I've been starving all day, but there wasn't much there I could eat other than chicken.
Old 04-08-2012, 03:39 PM   #19
Yael Grauer

brunch: leftover rotisserie chicken with some shredded apple
dinner: beef ribs, cole slaw
snacks: a chocolate bunny, handful of trail mix

workout: Just more of Roy Duquette's stuff, which I love. Moved onto the sequential roll-up series, which is just three exercises to help brace the abdomen and link the anterior chain. Not easy but doable.

Anyway, my neck is SUPER sore from working upside down guard to spin back to seated upright/butterfly guard, so maybe I got a better workout yesterday than I thought I did.

sleep: ugh, this is such an issue; i seem to sleep a good 11 hours every other night and only 5 or 6 on the other nights.
Old 04-09-2012, 05:44 AM   #20
Derek Simonds

Hey look I am offering unsolicited advice... My two cents. If you can handle the recovery the 4 days is cool. There are a lot of weeks where I do all my training in 3 days. For me with travel it is what I can get when I can get it. Second open mat is always challenging. I try and have a plan and at least 2 committed partners before I show up. Otherwise it can end up being not as productive as I want.

Good luck with the sleep issue. That would be really hard for me.

http://westvolusiawellness.com/
Derek Simonds is offline   Reply With Quote