Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Training Logs

Old 05-11-2012, 04:10 PM   #61
Yael Grauer

I went to Los Campeones again to lift weights. But I'm not sure I'm going to finish the 4-week program I started because I don't really see the point. I am sort of stuck trying to figure out what I want to do in the gym but mostly I just want it to be fun.

So I did like 20 dumbbell snatches and a 30-second L-sit and a bunch of c+j with just the bar. Then I tried to see if I can still get a 2:20 500m row, which I can't, because my cardio sucks, because I'm not rolling. I can only do like 426m in 2:20. Need to work on this. Did some seesaw presses and seated rows for fun.

Then started playing around with some MovNat-esque type stuff. I don't have a 100 lb. log but played with just a bar for now--dead-->c+j-->shoulder walk--> squat.

Breakfast: 2 sunny side up eggs over cabbage
Lunch: leftover chicken cacciatore
Dinner: 2 brats, kraut
Snack: the guy at the bank gave me two of those little chocolate things and I totally ate them. chocolate is my crack. Good thing they were tiny. Oh and I had a Larabar

Definitely not enough food, and now I'm working, so that sucks.
Old 05-12-2012, 09:40 PM   #62
Yael Grauer

Open mat this morning, about 90 minutes of rolling. Not as many rounds as I wanted, but the 5 or 6 guys I did work with went for more than one round and I got a lot of good pointers. My buggest problem seems to be that I'm not committing on the bottom as much as I should be when doing hip escapes, probably because it's hard and I'm unmotivated and lazy now that I know I'm not competing for a while. Probably not a good excuse. My top game is just so much better than my bottom game, and everyone knows my go-to sweeps now, so...

Food today

Breakfast: eggs and a banana
Lunch: a tuna salad I whipped up with carrots, tomatoes, avocado, olive oil, balsamic vinegar, etc. This salad sucked b/c my boyfriend keeps buying that bland tuna instead of the good kind. LOL.
Snack: after standing in the sun planting our veggie garden. smoothie with coconut milk, strawberries, blueberries and cranberries. It was pretty awful, though, I think b/c of the cranberries. New goal --> whenever eating high sugar foods, make sure they actually taste delicious
Dinner: some pork shoulder roast i made. probably not enough food, though. ugh.

We planted broccoli, kale, cabbage, tomatoes, lettuce, cilantro and parsley. Pretty exciting.

In other news, I can totally barely keep up with my life right now. Too many piddly projects. My biz coach told me I should really give up on the sucky ones to make room for better ones, but it's always hard to turn down steady work. Still, it's hard, because I've been on the go literally non-stop all day and have sooooo much more to do tomorrow, and next week is insane as well. So I need to figure something out.
Old 05-13-2012, 09:55 PM   #63
Yael Grauer

Went to the park to try to do some MovNat-type stuff today. My climbing needs a bit of work, but I wonder how much of it is because my arms have been somewhat jacked for different reasons for the past 5 years or so. I totally don't want to whine (my brother just fractured a bone in his hand playing Ultimate, and my boyfriend's sister has her foot all wrapped up because she has some bone-on-bone action; very little cartilage and osteoarthritis already) but when I get time and money some day I hope to really get some serious SASTYM and deep tissue work done to kind of iron out all the kinks, especially in my right arm. But yeah, some of the stuff I tried to do was hard, even though I feel like I *should* be able to do it.

My food today was pretty much horrible... We went bowling for Mother's Day with Todd's family and got food afterwards and... I knew I wasn't paying so felt weird ordering a $10 strawberry salad... so I just ate pizza with everyone else. Probably the equivalent of 3-4 slices or so, they were in little squares so hard to say. I felt so gross afterwards but Todd (who's way more Paleo than I) was eating it too and sometimes it's easier to just go with the flow.

Groceries today were like $60 each for Todd and I, which is a bummer. I swear I try to follow all the Paleo on a budget guidelines, but between the 2 of us, we spend about $500/month on food, which seems pretty high. And that's just groceries, and not including eating out. Actually, I can get reimbursed for a lot of meals out for one of my blogging gigs, but it forces me to eat crappy food (and the pay for the actual writing is low), so I haven't been doing that as much. But $250 on groceries is more than I want to spend... Hopefully gardening will help a bit. And we did have to get things like olive oil...

Oh and since it was grocery shopping day and I always get one thing at TJ's that's crap food, this time I got about 8 oz. of chocolate. That's actually not too bad b/c I usually get one of those 16 oz. things of dark chocolate peanut butter cups, but needless to say, this was a pretty bad day of eatin'.

I guess I could pretend that bowling is a sport and that I needed pizza for my post-workout meal. Or not. LOL.

So...

Breakfast: scrambled eggs and apple sauce with cinnamon
Lunch: leftover rotisserie chicken
Snacks: 3-4 slices of pizza, 8 ounces of chocolate
Dinner: ground pork with spinach stir fry

Despite my crappy food today, I'm pretty psyched that I lost all the weight I gained during traveling just this past week, which was quicker than expected, but I still have some ways to go to get back to my competition weight. When I compete with a gi I usually wear a 3-lb. lightweight gi so I only have to cut to 138 and can be in the 141 with a gi bracket, and I'd like to hover around 141 or so because I can usually lose the remaining 3 pretty quickly by eating bland food and taking fasted walks for a week or so. But I'm at 149 and that's really high, even though I'm not planning on competing anytime soon.

I *really* need performance-based goals so I don't obsess about my weight, though, which is pretty unhealthy and meaningless and a waste of my time. So I made a list of random goals to try to fixate on instead of numbers on a scale... some natural movement type stuff, the CF Level 1 Standards I don't have, and perhaps some stuff with weights.

Movement Stuff

I can already do the balancing, crawling and running okay, and I'm pretty sure I can throw/catch okay. I want to test my 4' jump (one leg and two-leg), and I'm working on my climbing skills and lifting/carrying. Basically I want to make sure I can squat 100 lbs. on one shoulder. I could do 45 a bunch of times and need to ramp it up. So:

-climbing
-jumping
-lifting/carrying (squatting)

CF Level 1 Stuff

-I want to work on my rowing time, since my gym has rowers, and I've unfortunately really lost a lot of my metabolic efficiency by never rolling. So in this order:
-500m in 2:20, and then once I get that,
-2000m in 9:50

-Same with running, and I worked on this great sprinting article for Experience Life, so lots of stuff from there to practice. In this order:
-400m in 2:04
-800m in 4:20
-1 mile in 9:00

I can probably do these already, but haven't tested myself yet.

-25 wall balls I'm 110% sure I can do right away; just need to find a way to test them.

Then these 3 are all sort of on the back burner. 3 pullups and 3 dips. I can't even do dips without my right arm clicking (I can do like 1), and it doesn't want to go down all the way, so I probably need to get some serious work done on it first. Pullups are the bane of my existence, and again, I have all these arm issues. And the third is "Christine," which wouldn't work at my gym unless I want to run from the rowers upstairs to the bar and box downstair for the deads and box jumps, which would make it harder to finish in 15 minutes. Still, when I first started CF, I really wanted to get all these Level 1 goals and never have, so it's something to work on, I guess.

Weightlifting:
Just want to get my numbers back up to what they used to be. Might as well, again, since I'm not competing any time soon. I want to get the "Advanced" numbers for my weight in the press, bench press, power clean, squat and deadlift. I can probably do some of these already, but need to test them. And I'll try to get them all at intermediate first, and then advanced.

So here's my list:

1. climb
2. jump
3. lift/carry/squat
4. row
5. run
6. wallballs (quick one to knock off the list)
7. press (72/94)
8. bench (105/135)
9. power clean (101/133)
10. squat (141/185)
11. deadlift (176/241)

Bonus/backburner:
1. pullups
2. dips
3. Christine

Anyway, I'm thinking I could structure my workouts like this:

1. Speed/warm-up... this could be where I do running or rowing, or wallballs once before I can knock it off the list
2. Movement type stuff: climbing and/or jumping ('til goal is reached)
3. Lifting: starting with my lift/carry squat up to 100 lbs., and then after I get that, work on improving my squat, clean, and/or dead. Maybe focus on 1-2 at a time.
4. finish off with a press or bench. I honestly think I can prob. do the press right away. My bench has always sucked.
5. stretching/rehab/prehab

Maybe work in some conditioning before 4+5 if I still have energy and feel like it... Standing base, wrestling shots, moving on my back, sweeps, etc. Whatever I want to do to work up a sweat since I never get to, and is more sports-specific than running or rowing.

Then once I've knocked off most of my goals, start working on those last 3 backburner ones.

Probably working up to weights I want and doing things once and then quitting isn't the best modality, but whatever. I want to do something.

I keep trying to think about what other goals I had before BJJ. The pull-up one was huge, but kept having brachiaradialis/bicep issues. Deadlifting 220 was big, but I have DL numbers in there to work on already. I was working very seriously on posture for a long time, but honestly getting a bra that actually fits properly has been way more helpful than all of the techniques I've tried combined. It sort of stuns me that it took me 33 years, but I think probably like 90% of women wear a bra band too large and a cup size too small, which really messes up your posture. Anyway, other goals I've had in the past included running a 7 minute mile, which I did, but then I quit running b/c I was bored, and things like single-leg squats, Parkour type stuff, etc. I don't know which of those I really still want to focus on. I also have a punching bag and a TRX I could play with, and an ab wheel thingy... I can only do it from my knees with my back straight... God, and I have so many workout books... most of which I've done, but there's always more. I guess the goals I have above are good... I think if I can get all 14 I'll feel like I can move with efficiency, am pretty darn strong and have a bit of well-roundedness, plus some of my metcon back. And then hopefully by then I'll be closer to that last stripe...
Old 05-15-2012, 12:04 AM   #64
Yael Grauer

Skipped BJJ today. Just too much work to do.

My biz coach told me to do all of my pitches early in the week, deadlined work midweek, and if I had to do piddly underpaying work, to keep it to just one day a week, like Friday. So I've been trying hard to follow her instructions, but it's challenging because I'm pitching these amazing magazines and each pitch takes anywhere from 2 to 10 hours of research. I want them to be well-targeted and well-researched, but it just makes it hard to keep up with everything. I worked from 8AM today til now; it's 2AM, and only took an hour break or so to go to the garden. And I still have to send an editing test in, finish a query for this science mag I want to write for, proofread a book manuscript, do some blog curation and do a little more writing. Plus I have a phone meeting. Too much!

Food today was okay, I guess...
Breakfast: 2 eggs & 2 strips bacon
Lunch: salmon salad
Dinner: lemon mint chicken with green beans
and it totally wasn't enough chicken so I had 2 LaraBars.
I also had a chai today to try to get awake/stay alert while working.

Not ideal.
Old 05-15-2012, 10:55 PM   #65
Yael Grauer

Well, no workout today. Too busy during the day and we went to see the Black Keys at night. The good news is that I think I should be caught up with work by the end of the week, and should have time to train tomorrow.

breakfast: green eggs, sweet potato chips
lunch: chicken salad
dinner: Paleo chili (http://paleoonabudget.com/2012/01/04/paleo-chili/)
snack: had a beer and some peanuts during the show
Old 05-16-2012, 08:36 PM   #66
Yael Grauer

Super frustrating day, today, dealing with people who don't do what they say and take credit for my shit and leave me madly scrambling at the last minute for them, and not able to meet my own deadlines, which means I have to invoice late, which leads to cash flow problems, and extra work, etc. etc.

Usually when this happens I eat tons of ice cream and drink lots of caffeine and stay up and work. Which I'm going to do tonight. And then I'm never ever ever going to do it again. I need to set some boundaries, drop clients who can't live by them, and since this is bringing out my bad side I'm pretty much done with it. Clearly I need to make some changes.

So anyway, I had to miss jits due to timing but even though I have no time for it I did get to Los Campeones because I was super pissed off and needed to lift things.

I did my 500 meter row in 2:20, so that's one goal I knocked off the list.

I worked on squats with a bar on my shoulder, and I did 65 easy and tried 85, which I did but it wasn't pretty. Then did it with the strongman log, but no idea how much that thing weighs.

Next, trying to hit the intermediate numbers on some lifts before I try to go to advanced...so I won't die of DOMS.

Got a 75 lb. press, failed at 85, so did some more reps at 75. I want 95 again.

Got a 175 deadlift, still not near my old 220 and the 240 I want, but something.

Did some dips with 30 lb. assist, my right arm is still all clicky but it didn't hurt to do at least, just felt weird. I need to build some strength back in it.

So my goals for the next week and a half or two:

A
-climbing stuff
-jumping stuff
-100 lb. shoulder squat

B
-140 squat
-100 clean
-105 bench

C
-400m run

Food
Breakfast: eggs and bacon
Lunch: wedding soup
Dinner: Paleo chili
Late-night bender: more sugar and caffeine than i wanna write about on a public log
Old 05-18-2012, 12:40 AM   #67
Yael Grauer

The bad news:

1. I went to bed at like 5AM last night, and it's looking like 2 or 3 AM tonight.

2. I didn't go to BJJ today because I'm super super sore from not sleeping, lifting, etc.

3. Also, I'll have to stay up again tomorrow (tonight) and Saturday to work for Sherdog. Boo.

The good news:

1. Aside from that ice cream last night, I ate really well today. Paleo crockpot chicken soup, leftover chili, etc.

2. I'm finally really close to caught up with my backlog. I'm still waiting on tons of people, but it's more manageable, and all I have to do Friday through Sunday other than my usual stuff (and Sherdog) is proofread a book manuscript and take an editing test. And some scoring, if I have time. (And wait for people for the dumb project I was supposed to finish three weeks ago, but I'm thinking I harass people about that on Monday.)

3. Just found out we're gonna have a BJJ world champ working at my gym full time starting in a month. I should be really excited about this, but I'm having trouble getting motivated for BJJ lately. I honestly don't even care who is teaching; I just want to roll and I can't other than Saturdays and it sucks. But maybe this will help...

4. Finally made a Google doc with all of my goals, color-coded and everything. Prioritized, the whole bit. Cool.
Old 05-18-2012, 10:03 PM   #68
Yael Grauer

Went to the park and took a nice long barefoot walk and worked on some MovNat climbing stuff, which I still suck at. But it was fun.

Food was just leftover chicken soup and leftover chili today, and half an avocado. A handful of blue corn chips with salsa during the fights.
Old 05-19-2012, 04:58 PM   #69
Yael Grauer

I got a ton of rolling in this morning, which was awesome. I got at least 7 matches, may have been 8, for 7-minute rounds. I definitely can feel my technique improving, which is great, but it's also frustrating because I know it's from the classes I find boring. LOL. The good news is that we have a black belt from Brazil who'll be teaching the advanced classes for 4 months or so, starting in about a month, and my coach said they'd be open to everyone. So if I can just hang on for a month, I'll have all the hard classes I can handle, and I'm sure by 5 months from now I'll have another stripe if I'm consistent.

Got in an interesting discussion with someone today about whether or not it was the right choice for me to go from a collar choke from back mount when I could've tried to sink in an RNC. I tend to think people spazzing/muscling will be less effective for them when I use the gi so am guessing a collar choke may be a better option for me, even though I like RNCs better because they look cooler and I see them on TV. But for example when I work my standing butterfly guard passes, if I go for an underhook from the top instead of a lapel grip, people just push on my head and standing base out, so I need that lapel... it's a smaller person thing and the person giving me advice was a million pounds... I think I could sink in a collar choke grip and hold it there even when someone's flailing, but hand fighting a spazzy dude with a RNC when he can just arm wrestle, I lose the entire submission. Anyway, something to think about.

Food today... Todd made this awesome breakfast which was an omelette with vanilla extract and peaches and things, so delish. Then after training I had the rest of that chicken soup, and we're going to eat leftover pork shoulder tonight. Probably have a half a beer during the fights.

Oh and I went to this party... was super stoked to get invited b/c I knew it was mostly Gracie Barra people and I'm Alliance and we're supposed to hate each other. And also there were people from the Academy (Sauer affiliate) and everyone hates everyone and etc. But it was totally cool and we all got along. And I didn't drink the vodka with pineapple everyone was downing, and had to leave before the sumo wrestling, but it was really nice to be there. And I had probably 2 or 3 handfuls of corn chips.

I don't know if all these cheats and snacky foods are adding up... I feel like they're all pretty little, and I'm still losing weight etc., so I think it's okay for now. I use a fair amount of discretion/restraint.

Will do some more MovNat type stuff tomorrow.
Old 05-20-2012, 07:28 PM   #70
Yael Grauer

Well, apparently taking a long walk in the park and working in my garden in the heat, followed by like 6 hours of sleep, followed by 8 7-min rounds of hard BJJ, followed by watching fights and drinking a beer makes me super sleepy... I was still working at 1AM and waiting for something that was supposed to get to me at 2 which I was supposed to edit and turn in that night... and my boyfriend found me zonked out on the couch at 4:45 when he was trying to figure out where I was and why every single light was on in the house. And then I freaked out b/c I missed my deadline, LOL. But nobody said anything when I sent it in at 4:47, lol. I can usually stay up until 2AM easy but was KTFO. At least I got a total of 9.5 hours last night. I am just really hoping one of the 500 projects I have in the bush pans out so I can be more selective about work I accept (i.e. no working past 2AM.)

No workout today. Food.. I got up for lunch, which was rotisserie chicken and some tomatoes. Dinner was sausage and sweet potatoes. Ate some handfuls of chocolate from Trader Joe's. So tired all day. Tomorrow will be better.