Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Training Logs

Old 05-22-2012, 11:59 AM   #71
Yael Grauer

No workout yesterday, as I worked about 12 or 13 hours.
I ate chicken apple hash for breakfast, a bacon strawberry salad for lunch, and one of those Paleo beef hot plates with mushrooms and stuff for dinner.
Old 05-22-2012, 08:59 PM   #72
Yael Grauer

Well, my month at the powerlifting gym expired so I decided to go check out LifeTime for the free week pass, or whatever. They have a lot of cool equipment (kettlebells, ropes, rings, medicine balls, TRXs, etc.) but not a lot of room to use them, and of course super crowded. It's still kind of a good deal at $62/mo (plus I'd get $20 back from my health insurance if I went 12X/month), and they have all kinds of fun perks like $20 massages once a month and a nice sauna and stuff, but it's way too sterile for me, and no chalk and no bumpers. It's like fitness for people who want really nice stuff and it not to feel like fitness. (Not knocking them, but I knew I was gonna hate it once the guy talked to me about their pilates and yoga classes and chakra massages and fine locker room.)

On the agenda was just squats, power cleans, and climbing if I could find the setup for it. So I did squats up to 140, which was what I was going for, but I'm not really sure I was going deep enough. I did 5 or 6 to make sure it was deep enough and I'm sure a couple were below parallel but I'm still not happy with my form.

Then I was going to do power cleans, but some guy was hogging the weird elevated platform for-ever. I am so gonna go back to the powerlifting gym once one of these checks clears, lol. But sometimes it's fun to visit every single gym.

My coach said we can come up with a plan for BJJ to help me meet my goals, so that's promising, and I'm glad he's open to that. He's pretty damn cool but I've had so many gym situations go bad that it's hard for me to even talk to coaches sometimes about where I'm at and what I want...
Old 05-22-2012, 08:59 PM   #73
Yael Grauer

Oh yeah, food. Eggs with bacon and avocado for breakfast, and then I made some crazy beef stew with sweet potatoes and cabbage and red curry. I guess I forgot to eat lunch again.
Old 05-23-2012, 11:14 PM   #74
Yael Grauer

It's been an ice cream and brownies day. And no working out and not a lot of food since I'm spending hours upon hours cleaning my office, since it's the only thing I feel like I have any control over right now. I am a total basketcase today. This has kind of been coming for a while. Anyway, trying to figure out what to do. I've never been on meds but some acupuncture right now or some GABA might do me a world of good, and then I can stop listening to bad music. Blah. Training log will resume tomorrow. I'm kind of mad at myself for not getting to BJJ because my coach wants me to talk to him about coming up with a plan so I can train and also not be bored and meet my goals, while getting the fundamentals etc. he thinks I need... but I just don't want to be around anyone right now. Anyway, my goal is to at least have everything presentable before I crash in a few hours... I got 15 boxes down to what looks like it'll be 5 or 6, so that's a start.
Old 05-25-2012, 12:57 AM   #75
Yael Grauer

Okay, after my 16-hour cleaning spree (no joke) yesterday, and very little sleep, I spent the day kind of recovering. The good news is that my office is beautiful now!!! I can actually work at my desk and find things, and it feels nice in here. I even lit some Nag Champa and I have a little candle and everything. I just worked a lot today when I wasn't trying to nap. I was gonna go for a bike ride today but then it started pouring, right after I dragged the bike upstairs, too. Didn't feel up for BJJ.

I think my meltdown is pretty much over and that I'll be okay to be around humans again tomorrow, so I'm gonna go to the box gym during the day and hopefully hog the platform so I can get some cleans in. And then use the sauna.

Food today was good; some leftover beef stew and then I had chicken masala. Oh wait, but I forgot, the cauliflower was totally rotten so I made some brown rice in the rice cooker. And now it's completely gone and out of the house. I honestly would rather eat some rice than waste all that delicious sauce with all the spices, since the cauli died. Todd, on the other hand, totally can't handle rice anymore (we find out the hard way) so then I had to make him licorice peppermint tea for his stomachache. Ugh.

Anyway, we are still trying to figure out how to eat Paleo and cut back on cost of groceries, and I'm pretty fed up with the crappy produce at TJ's. I think farmers markets are gonna be the way to go, and we're going to buy another quarter share of beef once we get paid for this work project we're sharing, but I think the trick is going to be to just eat more simply instead of making complicated meals with specialty ingredients we use like once, and to use some of the veg from our garden or buy farmer's market produce, which is smaller quantities anyway even if it wasn't way cheaper, plus we need to go back to buying non-organic veg if it's in the 'clean 15,' and all that kind of stuff.

And then I get to do open mat on Saturday AM and talk to my coach about what classes I can take, etc. Working again late Fri and late Sat.

I really need to figure out what I want to work on and how to balance it all... Like I can eat really really well, or be a workaholic, or do BJJ, or get in better overall shape and work on my #s, but I can't do all 4. I can do maybe like 3. But lately it's like 1 or 2 it seems...
Old 05-25-2012, 11:29 PM   #76
Yael Grauer

Feeling a bit more even-keeled today, which is nice. I totally love my new inspired home office, and it's nice to separate my work area at home from the rest of the house instead of it all blending together.

Okay, so I went to the box gym again and decided to hog their weird elevated platform thingy. Got a 185 dead, which is better than last week, but I was hoping for 200. Boos. I wonder if I'll get back to 220 again soon. Then I worked on c+js, but it's hard while on the weird platform setup they have. I think I only got up to like 65 or so. And then someone was hogging the squat rack forever, so I just did front squats with those weird midget bars with the weight already on them, got to about 60 and some guy had the 70 and wasn't sure I even wanted to try 80 since it's a bannable offense to drop a bar and I wasn't used to the shape. This whole visiting gyms for their sauna and free week pass thing was a dumb idea, I think. Anyway, then I played on the TRX and the rings and some of their fancy stuff for a little while. I totally miss the other gym, though. Maybe go back on Monday.

Food was just leftovers and an awesome crockpot balsamic roast over mashed cauliflower. Will probably eat some strawberries.
Old 05-26-2012, 10:51 PM   #77
Yael Grauer

2 hours of open mat today. Was really great. I made it a point to ask all the guys who wouldn't roll with me last week to roll early in the day lol. And they all rolled with me and it was good. The whole male/female dynamic at the gym is kind of weird I think because we used to have separate women's classes and not a lot of crossover esp. at open mat, and I think some people are apprehensive at first, but my goal is to win every last one of them over. Once we actually roll and they see that I can get sweeps, pass guard, fight for underhooks, etc. it's all good. They're all really good guys and the gym vibe is super good, so I figure it's up to me to teach people that I don't have cooties. I think the fact that a lot of the higher belts want to roll with me helps a lot, too.

Anyway, this also meant that I rolled with monster after monster after monster, probably about 12 6-minute matches, and I'm frickin' spent. I will feel it tomorrow.

Food today was just okay... Eggs, bacon and avocado for breakfast, lunch was ground pork with tomatoes, cabbage, carrots and onions (so good!), then I had bugs in a boat (celery with almond butter and raisins) and dinner was this great chicken crockpot meal with collard greens. And the during the fights I had a couple handfuls of corn chips and popcorn, oh and I had a drink which will hopefully keep me up, too; I don't want to fall asleep on the job again like I did last week and have to stay up til 3 or so to wait for these post-fight reports to edit/fact-check before they go live.

I give myself a B- for the day; good workout, food was good for meals but bad with the snacks etc.
Old 05-28-2012, 08:11 AM   #78
Yael Grauer

Sunday was a rest day, and I made lunch with all the leftovers in the fridge: salad with mixed greens, hardboiled eggs, carrots, avocado and a balsamic vinagrette, and ground beef with mushrooms, onions, spinach and a few other random things thrown in. Turned out okay. Dinner was shrimp with some kind of tomato sauce stuff; recipe from Everyday Paleo. I also had a brat at this house party.

Holiday open mat this AM! Woo hoo.
Old 05-28-2012, 06:57 PM   #79
Yael Grauer

Memorial Day open mat this morning. It was cool because they opened it up to all the gyms in the area, and we only do that like three or four times a year. So I got to roll with a bunch of guys from the Academy (Pedro Sauer), Gracie Barra, Spartan, etc. which was cool. There's so much infighting and drama and politics in MN/WI BJJ/MMA, so it's nice when people get together from other gyms and everyone's chill. Anyway, about an hour of hard rolling. I'm noticing a lot of stuff I'm struggling with and also a lot of stuff that I am doing right on a regular basis. Lots to think about re: my game.

Rest of the day was getting sunburned at a Twin's game and catching up on the latest pile of work. I got an assignment to write about new stadium food for a local blog, so I tried the most Paleo options I could find: a giant meatball and a helmet of garlic fries. Dinner was pineapple pork ribs with mustard; pretty good.
Old 05-29-2012, 07:36 PM   #80
Yael Grauer

I walked a couple miles today at a very slow pace; probably a couple miles. Not that this counts for anything but fasted walks are fun. And then I did an hour of fundamentals, which was boring. We just worked on pulling guard, a scissor sweep variation from spider guard, and a progression at the end. I wonder if there is any way to get better at fundamentals without the super slow pace of this class, but there are only 16 days til we get the super hard training, anyway.

I asked a guy to partner up but then he asked me if I'd prefer to go with the brand new girl instead. This pisses me off because I don't want to be treated any differently because I'm a girl, or be made to feel that I ALWAYS have to partner with any other female in the room, and also b/c it's not really his place as a 1-stripe white belt to repartner people; our coach will move me with the one girl if he thinks it's necessary. I also just really want to work with people who are at my level or above if at all possible, at least while I'm forced to do the basic classes, though I guess this guy was a one-striper, but he wrestled and is closer to my weight than she was and would've probably given me some resistance. Oh well, at least I had open mats on Sat and Mon, and at least there won't be anyone brand new peeps in the intermediate class tomorrow, and I have to admit that I felt a small bit of satisfaction when said guy had to work with two no-stripe guys in a group of 3. But maybe he thinks that's better, since girls have cooties.

Anyway, hoping to join the powerlifting gym again for June and I want to do more kettlebell swings and Oly stuff.

Oh yeah, food. 2 eggs and a banana, the leftover shrimp tomato stuff, rotisserie chicken and strawberries with coconut cream.