Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Training Logs

Old 04-07-2012, 12:25 PM   #11
Ryan Hutchings

I just wanted to note a new fundamental technical principle I've come to understand while reading "Power Trip" by Dan McCauley:

Basically, the triple-extension that I read about, and that is often still taught to many lifters, is incorrect. According to McCauley, the extension of the ankle and knee creates unwanted forward momentum, causing both the bar and the lifter to be in inefficient positions by the 3rd pull (getting under the bar).

The emphasize should be on the hip extension and strengthening it (which would be the "3rd" extension in the triple extension). It should be the core, quite literally, of both the technique and focused strength training to maximize lifting potential.

...Learning, lifting, loving.
Old 04-08-2012, 10:27 AM   #12
Ryan Hutchings

I learned another interesting bit watching a lecture by Tommy Kono....

If you're scraping your shins, you are using your back too much/too early and not all of your leg extension. You should push through the floor, extending your knees, thus clearing your shins.

Learning!
Old 04-10-2012, 12:22 PM   #13
Ryan Hutchings

I've been out of the gym for too many days now, far too many for my liking! My hours changed dramatically at work, so I've been adjusted my sleep schedule and trying to find a time when the gym isn't PACKED. With some luck, I'll be able to get in there after shift today, and I really hope to.
Old 04-10-2012, 10:32 PM   #14
Ryan Hutchings

Default Session 7: Technique? Check.

Session A

Technique training/Warm-up
Some bodyweight front squats, limb rotations, snatches and C&Js with a bar only.

Snatch 1
95 x 1
95 x 1
95 x 0 - Douchebag got in my way mid-lift and to avoid hitting him I put it down.
95 x 1
95 x 1*
95 x 1*
100 x 1*
100 x 1*
100 x 1*

Clean and Jerk (Split) 2
135 x 1
135 x 1
135 x 1
135 x 1
135 x 1
140 x 1*
145 x 0 - Bar slipped or something, not really sure.
145 x 1*
145 x 1*

*Great form

Front Squats 3
140 x 5
140 x 5
140 x 5

Conditioning/Cool-down 4
Jump-Rope and some spinal decompression stuff.

1) Snatch: Increasing weight next session.

2) Clean and Jerk (Split): Confirmed my suspicion that my form problems were largely due to how light the weight was. As you can see, the first rep after I increased the weight was great. Increasing weight next session.

3) Front Squats: Power cleaned first rep, then held in a C&J racked position.

4) Conditioning/Cool-down: Same old.

Man, talk about a learning experience! This session taught me that you never know how a session might improve. This one started out rough and quickly became greatness. I couldn't be happier about my form on both lifts. I really feel like I've got them both nailed, so from this point forward I'll be increasing the weight by 5 lbs each time I can perform many repetitions with excellent technique. I dropped the BTN snatch grip push presses and the drop snatches because of my satisfaction with my form in the full snatch.

I do want to note that my shoulders and hips are sore. Mobility/flexibility sucks more than I knew.
Old 04-12-2012, 11:42 PM   #15
Ryan Hutchings

Session B

Some bodyweight front squats, limb rotations, lots of bar-only reps of various movements.

Clean and Jerk (Split) 1
105 x 1*
105 x 1*
110 x 1*
110 x 1*
115 x 1*
115 x 1*
120 x 1*
120 x 1*
125 x 1*
125 x 1*
135 x 1*

*Great form

Back Squats 2
135 x 5
135 x 5
155 x 10

Conditioning/Cool-down 3
Sit-Ups 4 x 15
Stretching between sets of Sit-ups

1) Clean and Jerk (Split): Great form, on every rep. Finally ironing out the wrinkles.

2) Back Squats: ATG olympic style squats starting at a nice, low weight.

3) Conditioning/Cool-down: I'm going to make a point of stretching after every training session.

As you can see, my form was spot-on tonight. I have decided to train one classic lift per session until I find a reason to do both in one. So for those of you trying to keep track, my programming now looks like:

Snatch or Clean and Jerk, alternating
Back or Front Squat, alternating (with a day off between)

Slowly increasing the weight until I get to intensities that necessitate cycling. All in all, things are going very well and I feel on track.
Old 04-13-2012, 11:41 PM   #16
Ryan Hutchings

Session A

Some bodyweight front squats, limb rotations, lots of bar-only reps of various movements.

Snatch 1
95 (43) x 1*
95 (43) x 1*
100 (45) x 1*
100 (45) x 1*
105 (48) x 1
105 (48) x 1
105 (48) x 1*
105 (48) x 1*
110 (50) x 1
110 (50) x 1

*Great form

Incline Bench Press 2
135 x 5
135 x 5
135 x 5

Conditioning/Cool-down 3
Stretching between sets of Sit-ups

1) Snatch: Feeling good.

2) Incline Bench Press: Nice and strong. Start nice and low weight.

3) Conditioning/Cool-down: No notes.

This was another awesome session. I've decided to strengthen my shoulder girdle, on days I'm not squatting, by alternating Incline Bench Press and BB Rows. I'll use BB rows unless you guys have some good reasons to use Pendlay rows instead.

I'm all dinged and bruised up, so I'm gonna take the next day or two off to rest and recover.
Old 04-14-2012, 05:16 PM   #17
Ryan Hutchings

The thing my programming is missing is work with doubles and maybe even some triples. In my mind, I'm working through how to include them.

I'm thinking something like....

Session A1
Snatch - Work up to a max single, then when form starts to deteriorate, back down 20% and work using doubles

Session B1
Clean and Jerk - Work up to a max single, then when form starts to deteriorate, back down 20% and work using doubles

Session A2
Snatch - Work up to a max single, then when form starts to deteriorate, back down 30% and work using triples

Session B2
Clean and Jerk - Work up to a max single, then when form starts to deteriorate, back down 30% and work using triples

I think this will work nicely. So, here's my program as of today:

There are 4 alternating Sessions (A1, B1, A2, B2). A full classic lift starts each session. A squat variation and a vertical press/pull alternates on "A" sessions, and a horizontal press/pull and abdominal work alternate on "B" sessions.

...sounds more complicated than it is! Looks like this:

Session A1
Snatch (up to a daily max single, back down 20% and work using doubles)
Front Squat - 3 sets of 5
Push Press - 5 sets of 3

Session B1
Clean and Jerk (up to a daily max single, back down 20% and work using doubles)
Incline Bench Press - 3 sets of 5
Sit-ups - 5 sets of 15 (add weight once all reps can be completed)

Session A2
Snatch (up to a daily max single, back down 30% and work using triples)
Back Squat - 3 sets of 5
Chin-ups - 5 sets as many reps possible until 25 total, then figure something out...

Session B2
Clean and Jerk (up to a daily max single, back down 30% and work using triples)
Barbell Rows - 3 sets of 5
Sit-ups - 5 sets of 15 (add weight once all reps can be completed)

I was going to alternate a low-back exercise with Abs, but I figured my low-back gets more than enough work elsewhere in the program.

The squats, presses, rows, chins, and abs will all be increased in a linear fashion (starting low and increasing very little) until I reach max intensities, at which point I'll reset. (back off a percentage and work back up again) I'll begin cycling intensities when it becomes necessary.

I'm going to let the classic lifts increase somewhat linearly, but base increases more on the feel of the lifts that day, so long as the weight doesn't start decreasing. I'll work up to a daily max single, to where my form begins breaking down, and work as described above.
Old 04-16-2012, 10:58 PM   #18
Ryan Hutchings

Session A1

Warm-up
Some bodyweight squats, shoulder dislocates, lots of bar-only reps of various movements.

Snatch
95 (43) x 1*
95 (43) x 1*
100 (45) x 1*
105 (48) x 1*
110 (50) x 1 - Max single reached, poor form. Back down for doubles.
100 (45) x 2*
100 (45) x 2*
100 (45) x 1 - Fatigued, missed 2nd rep.
95 (43) x 1 - Fatigued, poor lockout.

*Great form

Front Squats
140 (63) x 5 - Bad math = wrong weight on the bar
145 (66) x 5
145 (66) x 5

Push Press Out of the squat rack.
95 (43) x 3 - Started off awkwardly, then got more comfortable.
95 (43) x 3
95 (43) x 3
95 (43) x 3
95 (43) x 3

Conditioning/Cool-down
Stretching and Jump-Rope

Notes
I'm a little discouraged. There are many pieces that are all adapting simultaneously (technique, flexibility, and strength), so it's easy for me to feel like I'm not progressing. I need to remember that 2 weeks ago, I couldn't even do the lifts. Anyway, pouting aside, this was a good, productive session.
Old 04-17-2012, 12:24 PM   #19
Ryan Hutchings

I have two glaring issues that are plaguing me currently, and unfortunately, both of them take time to correct:

1) Wrist mobiliity - I have a hard time closing my hands around the bar in the rack position. Ironically, it is this very problem that confirms my belief that I am jerking correctly in the Clean and Jerk. I know that since I cannot close my grip in the rack, I am definitely not pressing the bar off my shoulders. This theory doesn't really apply to whether or not I'm pressing at the top, but I'm confident I'm locking my elbows and catching, rather than pressing.

2) Conditioning - I am becoming fatigued after my warm-up sets of the Snatch and Clean and Jerk. Hopefully, as I progress I will naturally develop a higher work capacity in these lifts. Once I've backed down to my work sets, my fatigue hinders my form, reducing the quality of the repetitions. I'm also jumping-rope after each training session to improve my conditioning.
Old 04-17-2012, 11:19 PM   #20
Ryan Hutchings

Session B1

Warm-up
Some bodyweight squats, shoulder dislocates, lots of bar-only reps of various movements.

Clean and Jerk
95 (43) x 1*
115 (52) x 1*
135 (61) x 1* - Almost went backwards. Adjusted accordingly.
145 (66) x 1* - Max single reached. Back down for doubles.
135 (61) x 2*
135 (61) x 2*
135 (61) x 2
135 (61) x 2*
135 (61) x 2*

*Great form

Incline Bench Press
140 (63) x 5
140 (63) x 5
140 (63) x 5

Sit-ups Jump-rope between sets.
BW x 15
BW x 15
BW x 15
BW x 15
BW x 15

Conditioning/Cool-down
Stretching

Notes
This was a really great session. I seem to have nailed down my rack position problem. I think I had my hands in too close to my shoulders for my forearm length because when I moved them out, I was racking with a fully closed grip no problem. Jerks felt plenty strong all the way through my work sets. Had to remind myself to explosively extend my hips several times, but I think that's because of the light weight. I feel like once there's more weight on the bar, I will do it naturally to get the weight up.