Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Olympic Weightlifting

Old 04-14-2012, 09:54 AM   #1
Chad Lammert

Default Snatch - First Forum Post

Hey guys-

Like the title says, this is my first forum post. For this post I want to share a video of a snatch double at the end of a days workout. The weight here is 135. My 1rm is 165, but on this day I took several attempts at 155 and missed them all. After a bit of frustration, I decided to drop the weight and do some practice (which is what is in the video here) and my buddy caught this on tape:

http://youtu.be/aKcUxovAJf8

Any feedback you can offer would be great.

Also, on an unrelated note, has anyone ever heard of or gotten sudden sharp tweaking lower back pains or have it feel like their lower spine locks up on them and they can't move?

Thanks again guys,
Chad Lammert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 10:30 AM   #2
Greg Everett
Administrator

Video says it's private.

RE spine - see a pro. That's not good.

"Without a doubt the best book on the market about Olympic-style weightlifting." - Mike Burgener, USAW Senior International Coach

American Weightlifting: The Documentary
Catalyst Athletics
Performance Menu Journal
Greg Everett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 10:31 AM   #3
Chad Lammert

I should clarify on the back pain portion: this usually comes the next day after training and not during lifts/workout. I don't know if that makes a difference or not, but I wanted to clarify.
Old 04-14-2012, 10:34 AM   #4
Chad Lammert

Sorry about that. Video should be good to go now:

http://youtu.be/aKcUxovAJf8

Thanks again
Old 04-14-2012, 10:36 AM   #5
Greg Everett
Administrator

Whenever it comes, back pain is not something to take lightly - especially if it's sharp and you feel like it makes you unable to move. That's definitely well into the need to work with a professional range.

"Without a doubt the best book on the market about Olympic-style weightlifting." - Mike Burgener, USAW Senior International Coach

Catalyst Athletics
Performance Menu Journal
Old 04-14-2012, 10:49 AM   #6
Greg Everett
Administrator

Right off the floor, you need to get your weight back - you have good posture, but you leave the bar over your toes.

Wait much longer before you initiate the second pull - you start as soon as the bar passes your knees. Keep standing w shoulders over the bar until the bar reaches at least mid-thigh, upper thigh even better. Then explode the hips and punch the legs. But of course, you need to stay balanced all the way to this point.

Watch your head - you're face is pointing to the ceiling when the bar is at your knees. I don't like this head position at any point really, but if you're going to do it, it has to accompany your finishing extension rather than being so early in the lift.

The bar is swinging away from you - partly because you're trying to explode way to soon, and partly because you're not pulling under w proper mechanics - pull down w the arms against the bar w the elbows out to the sides and get them as high as possible before you turn the arms over and push up. Right now it's the classic swing and lean - swing the bar forward and then lean down w the chest to try to sneak under it.

Your lift from the hang is a good start position, but again you immediately shift forward into the bar rather than maintaining your balance over your feet and pushing the bar back toward yourself. Same deal w the head, swinging, etc.

All that being said, I'd be willing to bet that if you fix the balance problem from the start and the timing of the second pull, most of these problems will correct themselves to a large extent.

Catalyst Athletics
Performance Menu Journal
Old 04-14-2012, 12:12 PM   #7
Chad Lammert

First, Thanks Greg. I'm pretty jacked about your help, this forum and i can't believe I've been on this site this long and only just found out that this forum exists. Thanks.

Second, I want to make sure I'm understanding you. When I'm driving off the floor, should I be looking for a sensation that I'm driving not only up but back too? Or, if I put it another way, are you saying that from bottom to top on on the balls of my feet and toes and that I need to transfer back to my heels? Or am I way off? Then, moving into the second pull, am I continuing to pull backward?
Old 04-14-2012, 03:08 PM   #8
Chad Lammert

This video was taken today after thinking about your comments. Maybe some improvement, but definitely a long way to go.

http://youtu.be/bUZJ44sd_LQ

BTW: the weight feels heavier while I'm trying to keep the bar close. There were a lot of misses in my work today and I really had to work to get under the bar even at 80%.
Old 04-15-2012, 11:50 AM   #9
Greg Everett
Administrator

Just based on the first lift -

This is much better. Still need to keep your weight back as the bar comes into your hips - you're reaching into a bit too much.

You probably don't feel as strong going under because 1) you're dong something new and focusing on it makes it tough to be as aggressive, 2) you're not strong with that arm pull because you haven't been doing it. Give it some time, and you can also practice tall snatches or high-hang snatches (as high as you can) to help strengthen that pull under (get down into a squat on those though).

Catalyst Athletics
Performance Menu Journal
Old 04-19-2012, 10:33 AM   #10
Chad Lammert

Greg-

Dude, seriously, you rock! You and CA are the best and I keep talking you guys up to everyone I meet out here in WI in the O-Lifting circles. Can't say it enough--you guys, man, thank you.

I'm really working on doing what you said: staying back off the pull, keeping the bar as close to the body as possible. I've been working tall muscle snatches/cleans and tall snatches and cleans in my warm-ups. Last night I got these two on tape/video/digital cloud/whatever you call it:

http://youtu.be/r1Zc9d857TY

http://youtu.be/yXC0Q85VleE

About a minute each. For the most part, I don't know wtf I'm doing, but I found these different movements off your site and in your book, so i thought putting them together might be a good idea. Any input on the skill work, technique, etc. is very appreciated.

Once again, you are the Shiznit and thank you very much. My next PR (170 I think) will be greatly attributable to you.