Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Olympic Weightlifting

Old 09-27-2012, 12:28 PM   #1
dipankar mohanty

Question Weightlifting shoe selection

This may seem like a stupid question. I'm gonna buy weightlifting shoes for the first time. I have the choice between the adidas powerperfect II (which is the cheapest of em all), the adidas adipower (ferrari!!) and the nike romaleos 2. Are there differences between their performance? I could easily do with a powerperfect II but I'm thinking why are the other two so so expensive. In addition, I heard that the adipower starts to hurt your feet when you get close to an hour of workout. Please suggest. and I don't have wide feet.
dipankar mohanty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 01:43 PM   #2
Greg Everett
Administrator

I have a couple lifters who use the power perfect and think they're fine. However, I do think the adipowers have a more stable and solid base. If you're just getting started the perfects will be fine.

"Without a doubt the best book on the market about Olympic-style weightlifting." - Mike Burgener, USAW Senior International Coach

American Weightlifting: The Documentary
Catalyst Athletics
Performance Menu Journal
Greg Everett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 11:29 AM   #3
dipankar mohanty

Thanks Greg... Just was wondering how much difference do weightlifting shoes make. What would be the percentage loss in power when lifting with a chuck taylors compared to when wearing weightlifting shoes? Maybe a little ambiguous, but lets say if you're snatching 100kg max with weightlifting shoes would you be able to do the same with a chuck taylors?

Well for one, the technique is definitely going to suffer when when wearing normal shoes, but do a pair weightlifting shoes help in a slight increase of weights and a little better technique when you start wearing them? As i wear flat soled shoes when lifting I feel a WL shoes can aid in a better starting position in the snatch and C&J. am i right?
Old 10-05-2012, 11:46 AM   #4
Greg Everett
Administrator

The improvement is mainly in the receiving positions of the clean and snatch, but also in the non-compressible soles so more of the power you generate is transferred into the bar.

There is a reason that every single weightlifter on the planet wears weightlifting shoes and not chuck taylors. Don't fight it.

"Without a doubt the best book on the market about Olympic-style weightlifting." - Mike Burgener, USAW Senior International Coach

American Weightlifting: The Documentary
Catalyst Athletics
Performance Menu Journal
Greg Everett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 11:53 AM   #5
dipankar mohanty

As i live in India, its impossible to get a pair of WL shoes here. Its like finding water on mars!! Ordering from the US is like 1/4th or 1/5th of my salary. but someone is gonna get a pair for me from the UK at the end of october. adidas powerperfect IIs. So hoping to see some improvement in technique.
Old 10-22-2012, 08:29 PM   #6
dipankar mohanty

One more question. these are the inner measurements (toe to heel) of the adipower weightlifting shoe.

10.5 equals 289 mm, thats 28.9 cm
11 equals 294 mm, thats 29.4 cm

These measurements are the maximum room from heel to toe. The interior of the shoes are padded in the heel area and these measurements were taken compressing the padding as much as possible."

My left foot is a little larger at 288 mm (278mm+10mm). i also wear an US adidas 10.5 sneaker. I've no wide feet and when i took those measurements without wearing a sock. Which size should I be getting?
Old 10-22-2012, 10:35 PM   #7
Ryan Dritlein

I dont know if any of us would be confident in answering that question on sizing.. however.. I would contact Adidas customer service for the best outcome.

http://www.adidas-group.com/en/local...contactus.aspx
Ryan Dritlein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 10:22 AM   #8
dipankar mohanty

Thanks.. got the info I required.
Old 10-26-2012, 11:09 AM   #9
Ryan Dritlein

what was the outcome that might be able to help others?! I am kinda curious.

FYI - you will love the Adipowers

Im a new lifter and I'm working a lot on flexibility, so I bought some rubber 8mm heel inserts and placed them under the sole and it helped a lot with over head balance.

I currently have the Adidas "powerlift" trainers (.60" heel raise), Adidas Adipowers (.75" heel raise) and the Risto White Thunders (1.25" heel raise).

The Adipowers are my favorite hands down.
Ryan Dritlein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 08:47 PM   #10
dipankar mohanty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Dritlein View Post
what was the outcome that might be able to help others?! I am kinda curious.

FYI - you will love the Adipowers

Im a new lifter and I'm working a lot on flexibility, so I bought some rubber 8mm heel inserts and placed them under the sole and it helped a lot with over head balance.

I currently have the Adidas "powerlift" trainers (.60" heel raise), Adidas Adipowers (.75" heel raise) and the Risto White Thunders (1.25" heel raise).

The Adipowers are my favorite hands down.
I got the US 10.5 one. I again measured by foot with a thick sock carefully with precision so then the size came up to be 288 mm. and I don't have thick feet. so thats why I chose 10.5 otherwise I would have gone with 11. I still have to receive them. will reach by Nov 2 or 3.

This was a good post to determine spacing in the toe area - http://www.catalystathletics.com/for...htlifting+shoe