Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Olympic Weightlifting

Old 06-04-2012, 08:30 PM   #1
Chad Lammert

Default Books

Hi Greg-

I was wondering if you would care to comment on a couple books I've seen on this website. First, you are releasing a new weightlifting book and I was hoping you could go into a little bit of detail on the key differences between this new book and your first one. I've enjoyed the first one tremendously--consequently am using it for my programming and can't wait to share results I find with the classic lifts and positions cycle--and I'd like to know what sort of information I could gain by adding your new book to my library. Second, I see Joe Kenn's book on your website often and have looked for more information online. Beyond forums and a few powerpoint presentations, there really doesn't seem to be too much out there. Would you care to comment on this book and how it could be useful?

Thanks very much. I love this site, love the forum and love your and Robb's podcast. I really find watching your athlete's training videos to be helpful and the more you guys put up there the better!
Chad Lammert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 08:52 PM   #2
Greg Everett
Administrator

The new book is intended specifically for athletes who want to use the lifts in their training, but don't want to commit huge amounts of time and energy learning them, knowing everything about them, etc. So the biggest difference is that it's far more concise - about 120 pages vs 400+ - to keep the process and presentation as simple and straightforward as possible. This was tough for me because I can be a windbag, but I went out of my way to say as little as I thought was necessary to adequately understand enough and learn properly and safely. The teaching/learning progressions are different than in my old book for this reason, and the programming section is brief.

Joe Kenn's book is probably one of the most underrated texts out there. It's great if you're programming for athletes, especially teams/groups and especially power-oriented athletes like footballers and the like. He lays out a really sharp system that allows you to be very precise and thorough but flexible w exercise selection and the like to make sure the training is optimized for the athlete(s) in question. Definitely worth the money. I have literally turned down consulting jobs and told the client to instead just buy that book more than once before.

"Without a doubt the best book on the market about Olympic-style weightlifting." - Mike Burgener, USAW Senior International Coach

American Weightlifting: The Documentary
Catalyst Athletics
Performance Menu Journal
Greg Everett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 03:40 PM   #3
Chad Lammert

I'm seeing more and more work out there combining power lifting strength work, Olympic lifting strength work, speed work and plyometric combinations to build more well rounded athletes. I'm seeing this in places like Westside for skinny bastards, Chad Smith's Juggernaut method, and it seems like California Strength's NFL combine work falls in line with this as well. In your new book, does your programming take this approach, and also regarding the tier system, could you explain Joe Kenn's approach--there isn't much out there and I haven't been able to quite understand the goal of his work. You said it's more for coaches, what does it do for the athlete, and, I guess, what is his approach?

Thanks Greg
Chad Lammert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 03:48 PM   #4
Greg Everett
Administrator

My new book goes into programming very little. I grudgingly decided to go very concise because it's either that or you have to go all out and a book that's intended to be straightforward, simple and widely accessible is suddenly cumbersome and less appealing... And my old book has more detail already anyway.

Kenny's book works fine from an athlete's perspective if that athlete is planning his own training. Certainly nothing about it that precludes an athlete from using the info.

The tier system is basically a way to select exercises smartly and in a way that helps ensure athletes are being exposed to the full range of movements in a balanced and orderly fashion. The book goes into quite a bit of detail regarding intensity and volume planning, etc. as well.

Kenn has a football and powerlifting background, but also incorporates Olympic lift variants.

"Without a doubt the best book on the market about Olympic-style weightlifting." - Mike Burgener, USAW Senior International Coach

Catalyst Athletics
Performance Menu Journal
Old 06-09-2012, 11:06 AM   #5
Gareth Rees

So, in all honesty then Greg, for somebody who already has your first book, is there anything that can be taken from the second book and any real need to buy it.
From your description it sounds like an alternative for somebody who only wants to know the very basics to lift, and is just a very concise version of your first book. Or am I way off of the mark?
Old 06-09-2012, 11:08 AM   #6
Greg Everett
Administrator

Anything to be taken from it? Yes. A real need to buy it? No, but there's no need to buy the first one either. Someone who owns the first one would have to want to buy the second one for some new ideas and a different approach to learning the lifts. I'm not going to coerce anyone into buying anything.

Catalyst Athletics
Performance Menu Journal