Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Olympic Weightlifting

Old 07-26-2012, 05:38 AM   #1
Gregory Roehrich

Default MEBB - When to up 1RM?

First off, apologies if this question was already covered here somewhere on the forum. I performed a pretty exhaustive search but couldn't find anything...

I've been toying with Coach Rutherford's Max Effort Black Box stuff after downloading the collection from the Performance Menu. For the most part, it all makes sense, but I'm still confused as to when I should be looking to up my 1RM, and then in turn the other lifts that are percentage-based from this.

In browsing the interwebs, I've seen some folks talk about putting in a max effort for that given day (which could presumably lead to a new PR), but these seems to contradict with Rutherford's more scientific approach, based off specific percentages of 1RM for a given rep scheme.

Should I be testing/upping my 1RM at the end of a Meso cycle, or should this be happening on more of a Micro cycle level? Any guidance would be much appreciated!!

Thanks all,

Greg
Gregory Roehrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 11:38 AM   #2
Coach Rutherford

Default Projecting Max

If you are using the percentage based approach to MEBB then you can use any number of 1RM calculations. I like Jim Wendlers formula which is:

wt. x reps x .0333 + wt.= 1RM

In my experience this is highly accurate for slow moves but not so much with the snatch or the clean & jerk.

Hope this helps.
Old 07-26-2012, 12:56 PM   #3
Gregory Roehrich

Coach! Appreciate the prompt reply! I definitely will employ the formula for calculating my working sets, but when do I actually go back and attempt to increase the 1RM? Is this something I should test at the end of a Cycle? I guess the long and the short of it is I'm trying to figure out how to progress strength wise while employing the percentage based MEBB.
Old 07-26-2012, 12:57 PM   #4
Gregory Roehrich

Gave this another read, and I think I have a better understanding. I was calculating workings sets from 1RM, but you're saying I can go the other way around to test? Is that accurate?
Old 07-26-2012, 01:53 PM   #5
Coach Rutherford

I'm reading that you are using this method http://www.catalystathletics.com/art...p?articleID=60

If that is the case then you will be establishing new 1RM numbers to plug into to your three week cycle.
Old 07-26-2012, 04:45 PM   #6
Gregory Roehrich

Coach, that is the method I've been trying to follow, along with the WODs on your site. I used my previous PRs as 1RM numbers to get started, and plugged those into the formulas to calculate my working sets. I'll be sure to test my 1RM prior to starting the next cycle and go from there.

While I've got you, have you seen any benefit either way to the 5/3/1 meso cycle versus the 5-5-5-3-3-3, 3-3-3-1-1-1 cycle you program on your site? Thanks for the replies!

Greg