Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Olympic Weightlifting

Old 06-12-2012, 12:02 PM   #1
Richard Bendekovic

Default Clean&Jerk Help Please

Any help with technique will be greatly appreciated. I have C&J the below weights, 155 and 165 easily in the past. Did 198 about 6 months ago and in 2 attempts since then have not come close. And have C&J 185 on several attempts over the last three months but always had a little trouble extending on the jerk. But now as you will see the jerk is atrocious. Not sure what has happened (other than I suck), it is as if I am afraid to drop under the bar. I have always preferred to power jerk and in the 2nd video you will see why. Thanks in advance for your patience suffering through this.

http://youtu.be/pD-fGYDEASA

http://youtu.be/YJLxJnEs1_o
Richard Bendekovic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 03:58 PM   #2
Steve Pan
Administrator

The biggest things you can work on are mobility and positioning in the pulls.

The first thing I notice on both is that your start positions are inconsistent. Try and find that good start position with the shoulders over the bar, and set the tension against the bar before you even begin to pull. this will prevent you from getting pulled forward and set you up for the rest of the lift. Some segment pulls and halting clean dead lifts will help to reinforce those positions (http://www.catalystathletics.com/exe...exerciseID=324)

The next thing that stands out is the lack of flexibility in the wrists and shoulders. This is causing your turnover and rack position to be less than ideal. I would work on stretching out the wrists against the bar in the rack position and muscle cleans to consistently finish that turnover and get those elbows around (http://www.catalystathletics.com/exe...exerciseID=149)

Improving that rack position will also be a good start to fixing your jerk. If the bar is not racked you will not be able to transfer your leg drive into the bar and lose some of that drive into your arms.
Steve Pan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 11:08 PM   #3
Richard Bendekovic

Thanks a ton, Steve. I knew the rack on those lifts was horrible as soon as I saw the video. Flexibility is a problem with me (at 46 no surprise there) and I have been spending a lot of time on it, but mainly with shoulders and hips. I will do the exercises you suggested, it is really tough for me to get into a good rack position. Thanks again for all the advice and one other thought if you have a minute. I have been at these lifts for a year now (albeit through CF) and since I am still such a mess I have considered just sticking to Greg's "Simplest Program in the World," at 3x5s and 5x5s never going above 155 until I can pull off all the reps with good form. I have done the "simplest," and I am finishing the Starter Program now but I am reluctant to move on to the site's program until I am a bit more fluid with the lifts. Thoughts?
Old 06-14-2012, 02:40 PM   #4
Steve Pan
Administrator

I wouldn't go over sets of 3 reps in any of the Olympic lifts. We want to keep you from doing too many fatigued reps where you are unable to really focus on correcting your technique and making good reps.

I think a good program to transition to would be the Starter Program in the workouts tab (http://www.catalystathletics.com/art...articleID=131).

It should be okay to push the weights up if you are feeling good and they are staying consistent.
Steve Pan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 11:14 AM   #5
Richard Bendekovic

Thanks Steve, I started to work in the segment pulls, muscle cleans and some tall cleans as well and felt a difference right away, on the snatch as well. Could not video but will implement your suggestions and some of the technique drills in the Catalyst DVD that just arrived and check back in a couple weeks with snatch and C&J video. Thanks again.