Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Flexibility, Training Preparation & Recovery

Old 06-13-2012, 09:56 AM   #1
Matt Morris

Default MVE (most valuable Exercise) for recovery

Here's the short question:

For rehabing a torn hip flexor/Gracilis attachment point, what is the most valuable exercise to focus on: Front squat, back squat, Pistol, Lunge?

Background info: I'm about 12-14 weeks out from this injury. It only bothers me when I'm in a loaded squat below parallel, or when I catch a snatch/Clean (this doesn't have to be deep, this can be a bit above parallel). I did stim & soft tissue work (excruciating, by the way) for the first 8 weeks or so with little help. Finally, I started a linear progression program with the front squat, starting at 45lbs and doing sets of 20's, and have worked up over the last month to 315lbs for sets of 5. I've been using the K-star voodoo bands during warm ups and workouts (and randomly in the morning and night) and this has helped. Before this, my best squat was 545lbs and my best Clean was 160k, so I figure I'm about 85% back on my Oly work, but further back on my pure strength. I don't have significant pain in the bottom, but I do feel discomfort in the bottom position in my hip/groin and feel as though there is a "dead" spot that isn't contributing to force production or stability. My plan is to keep up with the soft tissue/voodoo bands/stretching while doing another linear progression with one of the lifts noted above. I'm interested to see what people think is the best lift (or combination of lifts) to improve that position.

Also, I'm working with a slight tear in my rotator cuff (supraspinatus), so I'm not including OH squat or any pressing/jerking. I was doing snatch balance to help with the "sudden" firing of that area untill I hurt my shoulder. I think I can work snatch pulls and rowing a bit, but probably not a the weights I was using before for at least a month or two due to that.

Thanks for your thoughts/comments.
Matt Morris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 11:08 AM   #2
Steven Low
Super Moderator

Hard to comment on without knowing exactly where the injury is and the weaknesses during any of the movements.

Your plan is likley fine.

I would add in some type of primary eccentric component on the hip flexors such as possibly leg raises while slowly lowering them to the ground if that hits the area. If you have access to ankle weights you can load it up.

On the other hand, it might be a good idea to work some wider or narrower squats, depending on your stance, to see if those can hit the areas you need to work on a bit better. Would probably have to back off of the load but we'll see.

As long as the soft tissue work and whatnot are helping you should keep continuing with that.

For the shoulder, work with some turkish get ups, potentially some regular RC exercises, and LYTPs
Old 06-13-2012, 12:25 PM   #3
Matt Morris

Thanks Steven,

The hip is a bit hard to describe where it is. It doesn't bother me to bring my knee up against pressure, the way a hip pointer might. I'm tender about two - three inches below the surface of my hip flexor and I can get at it if I come in from a 45 degree angle (as if I was pointing towards my back pocket on the same side, my right side, that is). The issue is more prominent when I squat with my feet together.

Should I reset my linear progression with a more narrow stance squat, or do you think this is a good reason to work on pistols?

Thanks again!
Matt Morris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 06:51 PM   #4
Steven Low
Super Moderator

See how pistols go first.... generally speaking requiring the body to do more control is better.

Hip flexor issues are complicated though and if such things don't work it may be a good idea to see a sports physical therapist who can examine you thoroughly