Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Olympic Weightlifting

Old 07-11-2012, 04:47 PM   #1
John Janecek

Default Troy Bumper problems-warning!!

Fellow Strength Coaches,

I know if any of you had a bad experience with a piece of equipment and told me about it I'd be grateful, well here's mine...

I was hired in June 2011 at my high school as a fulltime strength coach. A brand new weightroom was built and outfitted with almost 200 Troy bumper plates for 24 platforms before I was hired.

As of today all 48 of the 25lb bumpers have eroded to the point that the metal insert is barely hanging on and about to come out AND 89 of 96 45lb bumpers are starting to have similar issues-I can move the metal insert in the 45's around with my fingers already-never had that happen in my 22 years of strength coaching.

I understand every 2-3 years having to replace a few 25's but ALL of them in 10-12 months?? AND 35's/45's too...?

After 5 emails to a Troy rep starting last month, sending a video, making an exact count of every bumper during the past month I was told this:

Good morning John,

I would like to thank you for being helpful and providing all the
necessary information to move this claim along.

After extensive communication with our sales and quality departments, we
have come to a consensus.

A loose insert on a bumper plate does not constitute failure of the
product as the product remains functional in the manner as intended and
has not failed per the terms of the warranty. The plates have degraded
through continued use, but are still functional and capable of usage in
the way they were intended.

Unfortunately, I cannot issue credit or replacements for this warranty
claim at this time. I sincerely apologize for any inconvenience.

I hope you have a great day,

Jeannette Blood
Claims Representative
USA Sports & Troy Barbell

Collars are always used, I teach them to drop the bar straight to the platform, and they go to a 35 after the 25 has 10 extra lbs from metal plates on it.

Heres the video I sent them of my “functional plates”.

http://youtu.be/fC5kevwgZfM

Of course you’re free to buy whatever bumpers you choose but I know one bumper I'm never buying again. $15,000 is a little too much to spend for bumpers that only last a year in my opinion.

If you know of anyone thinking of bumper plates pass this along…

John Janecek
John Janecek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 08:45 PM   #2
Greg Everett
Administrator

John-

I've followed your Troy saga on goheavy. Thanks for the heads-up. The only thing worse than finding out your equipment is shit is subsequently finding out that the company won't take care of it.

"Without a doubt the best book on the market about Olympic-style weightlifting." - Mike Burgener, USAW Senior International Coach

American Weightlifting: The Documentary
Catalyst Athletics
Performance Menu Journal
Greg Everett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 08:50 AM   #3
John Janecek

Default Thanks Greg.

Tim Marshall at Gymini/Wilder Fitness is going to help us out.

Been buying from him for ten years and will continue too.

Funny, put this up on as many lifting sites as I could and Crossfit admin told me to quit posting about it as they said "I have an agenda"

Damn right I have one, made me laugh...

Got your olifting book, good stuff!
Old 07-12-2012, 08:57 AM   #4
John Janecek

Default Greg, also...

Tell me your philosphy on training masters lifters....Anything you can add to your masters section from your book?

I'm turning 47 in august, best lifts in the past few years are 102 snatch and 141 C+J at 2008 Texas state meet... I weigh about 102-103....

One school of thought is to back off to 2xweek lifting to recover while others say to keep going as much as you can cause if "you don't use it you lose it"....
Old 07-12-2012, 09:15 AM   #5
Greg Everett
Administrator

I definitely don't think masters lifters necessarily need to drop down to twice weekly. I'd say that's fairly extreme, and would really only do that because of scheduling issues rather than training itself.

There's nothing that says you have to train with high volume and/or intensity every day you train. In fact, lifters of all ages modulate volume and intensity day to day to allow recovery. The same model just needs to be adjusted for the master according to individual need.

Because mobility is often a huge issue for masters, I think more frequent training is a good idea to help preserve mobility and to actually help recovery. So while you may only have 2 heavyish days/week rather than the 3-4 of a younger lifter, but you can still have 2-3 additional days on which you work more technical exercises, or stick to lighter work.

I do think it's a good idea to start conservatively and increase frequency incrementally to find the right balance for yourself.

"Without a doubt the best book on the market about Olympic-style weightlifting." - Mike Burgener, USAW Senior International Coach

American Weightlifting: The Documentary
Catalyst Athletics
Performance Menu Journal
Greg Everett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 10:03 AM   #6
John Janecek

Default Thanks for your reply.

Been strength coaching for 22 years now, 10 in college and the last 12 in Texas with high school football...

Funny how I can program for 150 kids at one time and 10-12 weeks later we test and things are great but this gettin old crap is like learning progaming all over again....

I find I'm losing the speed more than strength, haven't been buried in a clean or snatch in 15 years....If I clean it I jerk it, no problem....Just getting under the damn bar quick enough to catch it is my big crutch these days...

Thanks again for you help!

John Janecek